Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Connecticut or Florida a better place to raise a family?
Connecticut 43 50.00%
Florida 32 37.21%
Both are good 11 12.79%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 03:10 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Sure but then you have cities like Bridgeport. Prob more unsafe than the worst parts of FL
Right! and that is the point of all this..if you stay OUTSIDE the hardcore urban areas in CT..you have some of the safest places in the country. Sure the ghetto inner cities of CT bring the number down..but are you really looking to raise a family there?? Can you say the same thing about Florida or the south in general when it comes to overall safety and schools? ? I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 03:10 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Sure but then you have cities like Bridgeport. Prob more unsafe than the worst parts of FL
Hartford is no picnic in the park either.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:30 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
That's bologna.. typical crapola some people write about FL. You expect us to believe kids are locked inside for 6 months? Even on weekends? Right.. my experience with other families and mine is that 'kids are kids' despite the weather. Activities don't stop(maybe slow down a bit but that's all). If living close to the beach they can enjoy the ocean. Do you even have kids and you wrote that?
No kids here, all grown up in NE and living in CT.
In my neighborhood, through observation, when the heat settles in, kids
are not seen or heard outdoors. Only a fool would send a child outdoors to work up a sweat
in 90 + temp.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:51 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Right! and that is the point of all this..if you stay OUTSIDE the hardcore urban areas in CT..you have some of the safest places in the country. Sure the ghetto inner cities of CT bring the number down..but are you really looking to raise a family there?? Can you say the same thing about Florida or the south in general when it comes to overall safety and schools? ? I think not.
I'd rather be in Brevard or st John's county without a hardcore ghetto like Bridgeport nearby

Old 10-29-2016, 04:00 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
I'd rather be in Brevard or st John's county without a hardcore ghetto like Bridgeport nearby
Bridgeport is pretty awful. What's bad about Bridgeport doesn't stray far from it though. Even as nearby as Black Rock (which is a small part of Bridgeport) the nonsense fades.

Just go one or two towns away and you are completely isolated from it. I'm about 18 miles from Bridgeport and haven't had a single problem.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:14 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
LOL...well having lived in both places you are wrong. The beauty of the northeast ghetto is it stays in the ghetto... in the south? uh-uh.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:42 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
LOL...well having lived in both places you are wrong. The beauty of the northeast ghetto is it stays in the ghetto... in the south? uh-uh.
The way most of the roads and houses are up there, it's all ghetto. I'll take new construction, no potholes, central air and no income/car tax all day.

Plus, it's a heckuva lot easier to shovel sunshine...

Old 10-29-2016, 06:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
So... maybe CT just has better parents then?
There are other factors that come into play, but a parents involvement is key. Now school ratings are based on the total population of the school and if the area has a lot of immigrants (legal or otherwise) the scores drop. If in a financially poor area the same occurs as both parents working detracts from the ability of parents to help their child. There are many factors involved in the overall rating of a school.

That does not mean a child whose parents are involved will not do quite well in a school with a poor rating. The ratings do not mean all the children do poorly. If the parents are not involved, being in a "best" school will also not mean the child will do well.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:53 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
The way most of the roads and houses are up there, it's all ghetto. I'll take new construction, no potholes, central air and no income/car tax all day.

Plus, it's a heckuva lot easier to shovel sunshine...
That's terrible. You want everything to be cookie cutter?

Old 10-29-2016, 06:57 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Note how long this thread is compared to the CT counterpart. Some posters here clearly have a problem with a state like CT being superior to FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida