Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Connecticut or Florida a better place to raise a family?
Connecticut 43 50.00%
Florida 32 37.21%
Both are good 11 12.79%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 10:20 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The way most of the roads and houses are up there, it's all ghetto. I'll take new construction, no potholes, central air and no income/car tax all day.

Plus, it's a heckuva lot easier to shovel sunshine...
That's hilarious. I was driving through Greenwich and New Canaan the other day thinking how ghetto it looks.

At least in my town the roads are great and the town is picturesque, and I have central air. With loads of history instead of the cheap, cookie cutter look of so many southern cities and new developments. I've been tempted by the cheapness of the south but wind up staying in the northeast for career opportunities, proximity to SO many things to do and experience, the culture, the history, the food, etc. etc. You truly get what you pay for.

Most of the state is very beautiful. Even our bad cities are tiny and well isolated. Unlike the south our cities are tiny in land size. Safety in CT is impressive overall. In FL the crime is much more spread out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 10:51 PM

181 posts, read 138,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Do you understand how hot it gets in FL? Also, the only thing to do in CT is to go to NY? You just lost all credibility.
I do understand that it gets hot. That's why there are pools and water parks everywhere. Florida also has the largest coastline in America so there's always the beach. And it's not infested with nasty sea weed that has tiny bugs in it like the beaches in the North. And there are "water holes" aka enchanted springs and stuff. So pretty. There is also such a thing called air conditioning for people that don't like the heat. But I do like the heat. The fact that it's hot is a selling point for me.
Plus cold air dries out your skin and makes you age faster. Humidity keeps you moist and younger longer.

And I'm sorry what else is there to do in Connecticut? Go to Mystic seaport? Hartford? New Haven? You are right. Connecticut is much better. Lol!

I am familiar with Connecticut. The only thing to do there is go to NY.

Prove me wrong. What in Connecticut is better then anything that NY has to offer?

Lol! Looks like you just lost all credibility.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Nonsense. You can also go to Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and all within less than 2 hours (MA, NJ, NY can be reached in about 1 hour). What is it that you want to do? We have parks, beaches, mountains, attractions... I fail to see what we're missing.

Subjective. There are plenty of family friendly things to do in and around Connecticut

Cold to you maybe. It gets cold in lots of states. Hell it'll get pretty chilly in Florida too.

This is a product of the generation, not because of the temperature outside. I'm 30 years old and grew up through the gaming generations. The only time I spent indoors was after dark. While the sun was up, I was (and so was every other kid) outside, snow or no snow.

It's funny you said to choose the winter. I would say, choose the winter for Connecticut and the summer for Florida. Kids who like to play video games will stay inside and play video games despite the temperature outside. Those who like the outdoors, will go outside regardless of the temperature outside. Obviously when it was below zero wind chill I didn't go outside, but this was a rarity.

Well of course you have parks. All towns, cities and states have parks. But how do they compare to Florida parks? Do you mean theme parks? You have Hershey Park(boring and 3-4 hours away) Sesamie St. Playland (super exciting and just as convienent to go to as Hershey Park) , Six Flags New Jersey (a sh*thole) and Six Flags Massachusetts (a bigger sh*thole) I'm glad to know that you fail to see what you are missing. Ignorance is bliss.

Yes! NY is close by. That is a selling point. Please explain why Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and New Jersey are selling points.

Yes you have beaches. Beaches infested with seaweed that has tiny little bugs living in it. Mountains? You do? I thought that Connecticut just had a couple of big hills.

"Plenty of family friendly things to do in and around Connecticut"?
Please list them. Then I will list the "family friendly things to do in and around Florida" and we can compare lists.

I don't care how old you are. People started playing Atari in 1977. You are not a product of your generation. You are a product of your environment.
How many pro athletes come from Connecticut? How many come from the south? In the south they can play outside year round causing them to excel at sports.
In the north they are stuck playing video games inside because it's cold there.
That's why there are few pro athletes that come from Connecticut and there are many that come from the south.

And a cold day in Florida is the equivalent to a warm spring day in Connecticut.

My suggestion to the OP was to spend a week in each place then decide based on what he or she likes better. I believe that was a good suggestion. I don't know why you have a problem with it.

I stand by my original statement. The only thing to do in Connecticut is go to NY.

I hope you enjoyed tearing apart what I wrote as much as I enjoyed tearing apart what you wrote.

Last edited by Alabamarose; 11-01-2016 at 01:15 AM..

Old 11-01-2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post

No chance huh? lol. Exactly why is that?
You are right. There is a chance. Like if a family from the north has a kid with pneumonia and they can't get a refund for their Disney vacation or postpone it so they decide to go anyhow. They don't want to lose the money that they spent so they bring their sick kid down from the north and he or she infects a Florida kid.

Yes. That is an example of how a Florida kid can catch pneumonia in the winter. But it's super uncommon for such a thing to happen.

Last edited by Alabamarose; 11-01-2016 at 01:18 AM..

Old 11-01-2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
^^ But somehow CT is a completely boring state!
Um, it is a boring state. Did that escape your attention somehow?

If so I got a wet brown paper bag that you can play with. I'm sure that you will have loads of fun with it. It's just as fun as Connecticut. You'll like it.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I would recommend FL in summer and CT in winter to experience the extremes. I think CT has a lot of interesting places to see although it a one pony show. You drive out to one place, experience the site and then drive miles and miles to the next attraction. In Fl you could stay in Orlando and go to Daytona Beach and Clearwater Beach easily. If you're on the west coast its a short trip to Tarpon Springs or Sarasota.
If you're on the east coast in Daytona Beach or New Smyrna, you can hit St. Augustine, Kennedy Space Center, Cocoa Beach all within a reasonable drive.

To me, CT was always a bedroom community for people attached to NYC.

The thing with Florida and the south in general is that the summer is not that hot to people that live there year round because their blood has thinned or something.

Whatever the reason. I'm not a science person. But if a person that lives in the north experiences a cold winter they will think that Florida is really hot if they go down there for the summer.

If a person lives in the south year round it's not that hot to them. It's hotter then winter of course but it does not feel like extreme heat.

When people move to the south they get adjusted to it.

I understand that if people move to the north they become adjusted to the cold as well but it's still cold. And too cold to do certain things outside wheather you are adjusted or not.

And I get what you are saying about Connecticut. I think of it as NYs backyard.

Last edited by Alabamarose; 11-01-2016 at 01:56 AM..

Old 11-01-2016, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Catch pneumonia ?? From the cold? Explain to me how this happens....I'm curious.
Seems that way to me since it's the northern kids that catch pneumonia the most and they usually catch it in the winter.

Do you have another theory? Why do you think that northern kids are more prone to things like pneumonia and that they usually catch things like that during the winter?

I understand that colds are also viruses. But how many northern kids catch colds compared to southern kids? And don't they usually catch them during the winter?

What is your explaination? Are northern kids just naturally more sickly? I'm curious.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:31 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabamarose View Post
The thing with Florida and the south in general is that the summer is not that hot to people that live there year round because their blood has thinned or something.

Whatever the reason. I'm not a science person. But if a person that lives in the north experiences a cold winter they will think that Florida is really hot if they go down there for the summer.

If a person lives in the south year round it's not that hot to them. It's hotter then winter of course but it does not feel like extreme heat.

When people move to the south they get adjusted to it.

I understand that if people move to the north they become adjusted to the cold as well but it's still cold. And too cold to do certain things outside wheather you are adjusted or not.

And I get what you are saying about Connecticut. I think of it as NYs backyard.
You are making a huge assumption that those living in the South get used to the heat. I grew up in FL and never once got adjusted to it. The only way to prepare yourself for both climates is to go to CT in the winter and FL in the summer.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:33 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabamarose View Post
I do understand that it gets hot. That's why there are pools and water parks everywhere. Florida also has the largest coastline in America so there's always the beach. And it's not infested with nasty sea weed that has tiny bugs in it like the beaches in the North. And there are "water holes" aka enchanted springs and stuff. So pretty. There is also such a thing called air conditioning for people that don't like the heat. But I do like the heat. The fact that it's hot is a selling point for me.
Plus cold air dries out your skin and makes you age faster. Humidity keeps you moist and younger longer.

And I'm sorry what else is there to do in Connecticut? Go to Mystic seaport? Hartford? New Haven? You are right. Connecticut is much better. Lol!

I am familiar with Connecticut. The only thing to do there is go to NY.

Prove me wrong. What in Connecticut is better then anything that NY has to offer?

Lol! Looks like you just lost all credibility.
Calm down. By the way you are writing your posts, you obviously don't want to be convinced. No matter what I respond with, you would tell me how FL is superior and this and that. You're already dismissing the parks, beaches, and other nature of CT as complete trash compared to FL. How are you supposed to prove someone wrong who doesn't want to be? You say you are familiar with CT...but you obviously aren't if you think the only thing to do there is to go to NY.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:43 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,177,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Ignore him. Someone saying Sandy Hook was a failure of security is not only sick, but ignorant as well.
Sandy Hook families sue Newtown over failed school security | FOX 61

""NEWTOWN — The families of two of the victims from the Sandy Hook Tragedy are suing the Town of Newtown and its Board of Education, claiming the school did not have enough security in place on December 14, 2012.""

Any questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida