Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:29 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times

Advertisements

Thank you to all that added something to this thread. You guys rocks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 11:32 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
That's wonderful! Did you find the car insurance expensive in Florida? What about home owners insurance?
Car insurance is less expensive in Florida than the DC area. Home insurance might be a $100 higher a year in Florida, but we lost our roof and fence in Hurricane Matthew and the insurance paid out $14k so we aren't complaining.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Car insurance is less expensive in Florida than the DC area. Home insurance might be a $100 higher a year in Florida, but we lost our roof and fence in Hurricane Matthew and the insurance paid out $14k so we aren't complaining.
Thanks for the info Fredesch!

Old 02-13-2017, 12:29 PM

81 posts, read 120,205 times
I was born in Florida, but if I wasn't I'd never moved here. Getting too developed, crowded, bland cracker box subdivisions everywhere, & it ain't southern anymore unless you're north of Gainesville & west of I-75. Pinellas County is the worst. Ain't no open land left, & all the people here got the me first attitude. Probably all Yankees from up north.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin230 View Post
I was born in Florida, but if I wasn't I'd never moved here. Getting too developed, crowded, bland cracker box subdivisions everywhere, & it ain't southern anymore unless you're north of Gainesville & west of I-75. Pinellas County is the worst. Ain't no open land left, & all the people here got the me first attitude. Probably all Yankees from up north.
I am not fond of Cookie Cutter subdivisions myself either. I hate HOA's and Deed restrictions also. I don't understand why someone would by a single family home and pay a mortgage along with property taxes and then also pay an HOA fee and have rules about what you do with Your Property? That is so silly to me and insulting. Ugh!! I understand that if things are kept "nicer" that it supposedly helps keep the value but I still do not like rules with things that are in my name.

As far as attitude goes---I've run into plenty of nice people in Florida and sprinkled in are some "snooty" ones as well. I just ignore those people cause I don't want them to rub off on me LOLOLOL

Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Not all of us transplants are rude and snooty

Old 02-13-2017, 06:42 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Quote:

Hello Everyone! I have not posted a new thread for a while but I was curious as to what motivated you to move to Florida from out of state (or country). There might be posts on this same subject but most are out-dated I believe. (If I'm wrong, point me in the right direction LOLOL)
So, where did you move from and why? What did you love and/or hate about your old state (or country)
What do you love and/or hate about Florida? Any good or bad experiences you care to share would be wonderful.
Moved in 2009 from Cleveland, OH. Primary motivation was family relocation (siblings and their families took jobs down here, parents wanted to move by grandkids). Secondary was also enrolling in college (at UCF).

Was in Orlando area (Oviedo), now Bradenton/Tampa Bay. Love about Cleveland? The mix of cultural sensibilities (60% Midwestern, but 30% Northeastern and even 10% Southern IMO.). How affordable it was is/more roads and fewer tourists so less traffic, the amazing cultural institutions/neighborhoods and park system, the location, etc. What did I hate? Not much, I suppose the attitude of so many up there (kinda down on the area) got rough, plus concerns about long term growth, and I was really just ready to try something different (at least temporarily). What do I love about Florida? How diverse it is down here, that there's almost a sort of live and let live vibe, that the theme parks are here, that there's a large population down here and thus, a lot of places to go/things to do, and that my family is here, all of the fruit (strawberries, oranges, etc.). What do I hate? That it isn't especially urban in terms of new or old architecture (though there are some bright spots, just not on the level of up north, and while the beaches are nice during the cooler months, and the Springs are cool, as a general rule I don't find Florida's scenery especially appealing as a whole, and the weather from April-October, and how relatively expensive it is when looking at earnings/COL ratio in areas around the country.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Not all of us transplants are rude and snooty
Oh, agreed! When I am there, I don't even know who is native and who is a transplant. I don't like labels anyway.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Moved in 2009 from Cleveland, OH. Primary motivation was family relocation (siblings and their families took jobs down here, parents wanted to move by grandkids). Secondary was also enrolling in college (at UCF).

Was in Orlando area (Oviedo), now Bradenton/Tampa Bay. Love about Cleveland? The mix of cultural sensibilities (60% Midwestern, but 30% Northeastern and even 10% Southern IMO.). How affordable it was is/more roads and fewer tourists so less traffic, the amazing cultural institutions/neighborhoods and park system, the location, etc. What did I hate? Not much, I suppose the attitude of so many up there (kinda down on the area) got rough, plus concerns about long term growth, and I was really just ready to try something different (at least temporarily). What do I love about Florida? How diverse it is down here, that there's almost a sort of live and let live vibe, that the theme parks are here, that there's a large population down here and thus, a lot of places to go/things to do, and that my family is here, all of the fruit (strawberries, oranges, etc.). What do I hate? That it isn't especially urban in terms of new or old architecture (though there are some bright spots, just not on the level of up north, and while the beaches are nice during the cooler months, and the Springs are cool, as a general rule I don't find Florida's scenery especially appealing as a whole, and the weather from April-October, and how relatively expensive it is when looking at earnings/COL ratio in areas around the country.
Thanks for chiming in cavsfan137. I think about where I live in Wisconsin and I could complain about this and that and also comment on what is good about it---but then I think--Wow, the world is SO big and my little "world" (the area I live in and go to work in) is sooooooooo small. There is parts of this state that I have never even been to so I can't put this whole state down just because I am tired of my tiny part of Wisconsin.
There really is good and bad in every state and every country. Life is a balancing act after all.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:48 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Thanks for chiming in cavsfan137. I think about where I live in Wisconsin and I could complain about this and that and also comment on what is good about it---but then I think--Wow, the world is SO big and my little "world" (the area I live in and go to work in) is sooooooooo small. There is parts of this state that I have never even been to so I can't put this whole state down just because I am tired of my tiny part of Wisconsin.
There really is good and bad in every state and every country. Life is a balancing act after all.
And it depends on how level headed we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida