Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 02:02 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Thanks for chiming in cavsfan137. I think about where I live in Wisconsin and I could complain about this and that and also comment on what is good about it---but then I think--Wow, the world is SO big and my little "world" (the area I live in and go to work in) is sooooooooo small. There is parts of this state that I have never even been to so I can't put this whole state down just because I am tired of my tiny part of Wisconsin.
There really is good and bad in every state and every country. Life is a balancing act after all.
There certainly is. There are certainly a number of things about Florida that I like, and I can see where someone could easily prefer Florida over many other places (many do). I think for me it isn't a "better" or "worse" thing, or whether one thing just isn't good, it's just a preference for certain things vs. another. I agree, it really is a big state. I think in regards to my personal tastes in scenery, the further north one gets in Florida, the better it gets (the area to the west of Tallahassee is particularly noteworthy with rolling hills all over, old growth live oak canopied forest, springs, sand pine scrub, more marked change in seasons, nearly long stretches of nearly uncharted gulf coastline, and geologic features like waterfalls and caves and 200 ft. river gorges. Looking forward to spending a few days up there in early March : ).

But, that type of somewhat elevated scenery can even be found closer in (East Pasco County, West Orange and Lake Counties, Polk County, etc.

Since I don't plan on leaving in the immediate future, though there are things that I may not like as much about it as some places, I do my best to make the most of it (and also work in a profession where I am able to travel a decent portion of the year!). I think it's fascinating to look at all places, but especially less charted ones (like in my bucket list on the Tampa Bay page). I also try not to make a habit of talking about the things that I may change if I could (since, realistically, there are enough people down here that seem to do that nonstop already! I'm sure that gets bothersome, and I don't have an interest in contributing to negativity, aside from the fact that this thread was a specific discussion of pros/cons of Florida). It is important to find happiness in wherever you are, and whatever you are doing, and for the most part, besides something obvious like mountain climbing (though there are rock gyms) people who say they can't find something in Florida (or most places, for that matter), probably just aren't looking hard enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 02:40 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And it depends on how level headed we are.
You are so right

Old 02-14-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
There certainly is. There are certainly a number of things about Florida that I like, and I can see where someone could easily prefer Florida over many other places (many do). I think for me it isn't a "better" or "worse" thing, or whether one thing just isn't good, it's just a preference for certain things vs. another. I agree, it really is a big state. I think in regards to my personal tastes in scenery, the further north one gets in Florida, the better it gets (the area to the west of Tallahassee is particularly noteworthy with rolling hills all over, old growth live oak canopied forest, springs, sand pine scrub, more marked change in seasons, nearly long stretches of nearly uncharted gulf coastline, and geologic features like waterfalls and caves and 200 ft. river gorges. Looking forward to spending a few days up there in early March : ).

But, that type of somewhat elevated scenery can even be found closer in (East Pasco County, West Orange and Lake Counties, Polk County, etc.

Since I don't plan on leaving in the immediate future, though there are things that I may not like as much about it as some places, I do my best to make the most of it (and also work in a profession where I am able to travel a decent portion of the year!). I think it's fascinating to look at all places, but especially less charted ones (like in my bucket list on the Tampa Bay page). I also try not to make a habit of talking about the things that I may change if I could (since, realistically, there are enough people down here that seem to do that nonstop already! I'm sure that gets bothersome, and I don't have an interest in contributing to negativity, aside from the fact that this thread was a specific discussion of pros/cons of Florida). It is important to find happiness in wherever you are, and whatever you are doing, and for the most part, besides something obvious like mountain climbing (though there are rock gyms) people who say they can't find something in Florida (or most places, for that matter), probably just aren't looking hard enough.
I used to work for a lady in Northern Wisconsin (cleaning rooms) and she said to me many times "Cindy, see the world if you can. Don't just stay in your little bubble. The world is big so see as much of it as you can because life is really very short."

Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 PM

Can't argue with that, it really is. Apart from loving other people, and spirituality (Christianity, for me, and finding out what that means for life), the most important thing I think I can do is to learn as much, and explore, as much as I can... Not to get too far off topic in that regard, but: Carnival cruises will be sailing from Tampa to Cuba this summer | Blogs Exciting because Havana's urban core can offer, if what I heard is true and friendly trends continue, an experience that is similar to Europe (at least in terms of architecture/density, without going very far at all: http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...fredericks.jpg) Anyways, back to topic, but that really is true

Old 02-15-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Can't argue with that, it really is. Apart from loving other people, and spirituality (Christianity, for me, and finding out what that means for life), the most important thing I think I can do is to learn as much, and explore, as much as I can... Not to get too far off topic in that regard, but: Carnival cruises will be sailing from Tampa to Cuba this summer | Blogs Exciting because Havana's urban core can offer, if what I heard is true and friendly trends continue, an experience that is similar to Europe (at least in terms of architecture/density, without going very far at all: http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...fredericks.jpg) Anyways, back to topic, but that really is true
I agree

Old 02-15-2017, 12:46 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Oh wow that's interesting. Cruises to Cuba.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Oh wow that's interesting. Cruises to Cuba.
Do you plan on taking one? I think it looks like an amazing opportunity, especially now while it's virtually a time warp.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:02 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Do you plan on taking one? I think it looks like an amazing opportunity, especially now while it's virtually a time warp.
Oh no I'd just fly there. Cruises are not for me.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:57 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I am not fond of Cookie Cutter subdivisions myself either. I hate HOA's and Deed restrictions also. I don't understand why someone would by a single family home and pay a mortgage along with property taxes and then also pay an HOA fee and have rules about what you do with Your Property? That is so silly to me and insulting. Ugh!! I understand that if things are kept "nicer" that it supposedly helps keep the value but I still do not like rules with things that are in my name.
Our 3 streets have an HOA that goes back to the creation of the neighborhood for GE engineers envolved in the moon launch effort. The HOA has been inactive for several years, but awoke after hurricane Matthew wiped out the HOA's wood structure (on HOA land) that crosses the barrier dune and gives us access to the beach. The HOA also owns a strip of land with a bench on the intercostal waterway/Halifax River. Our HOA is only interested in providing access to the water on both sides of us and promoting neighborhood parties. Our HOA isn't interested in the color of paint you chose, HOAs with concerns like that were formed much later.

In Florida you need to be aware of special taxing districts as developers choose to have you pay for amenities and infrastructure through extra taxes instead of adding the cost into the price of the lot. The taxes can go on until the tax district ceases to exist.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 PM

174 posts, read 207,318 times
I got sick of always cleaning up after floods all the time. I had to leave and move forward in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida