Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 09:01 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times

Advertisements

When a supermarket chain has a large number of stores, it's difficult for small farms to supply them all for any length of time. These chains, therefore, have to turn to suppliers who buy from numerous farms and large-scale operations. Even if a mom-and-pop type farm approaches a supermarket offering to sell some of its produce, the corporation that owns that single market won't typically deal with them because they (the farm) hasn't been properly vetted and approved by all the entities that have a say in such transactions. The corporation has to be sure that the produce has been properly grown (that is, not sprayed with all kinds of toxic substances, etc.) and that the people selling it are adhering to all the typical rules/laws regarding labor and working conditions. Most corporations aren't willing to spend all that time researching and approving all these smaller operations throughout their chain--the aggregators can do all that (and take the heat if the growers turn out to be lying about their operations or products).

Moreover, one of the expectations of shopping a larger chain is that the assortment and quality of products will be uniform. If a nationwide chain advertises strawberries on sale, the chain needs to be sure that those items will be available and look pretty much the same. Thus you will see the same national brand (usually Driscoll's), not 500 different locally-grown brands that can vary wildly in quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 10:10 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Thanks to everyone for explaining the local fruits issue, it makes a lot of sense now.

Take care.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:22 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Jeez. Info about Publix and other stores can be found on the bizjournal sites as well as the Publix site, and others.

It’s not insider info!

Old 07-26-2018, 02:24 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,414,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Jeez. Info about Publix and other stores can be found on the bizjournal sites as well as the Publix site, and others.

It’s not insider info!
So...what was yout point all about ???? eek

Old 07-26-2018, 08:24 PM

67 posts, read 57,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
A Publix store I shopped at today had extra low prices and excellent customer service. A competitor nearby that had issues with high prices and bad customer service closed recently.
Extra low prices At Publix? That's hilarious.

Customer service? Stop stocking the shelves while I'm trying to shop.

BOGO. Another huge scam.

Just lower prices to what other stores sell things for and be done with it.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:33 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo's Garage View Post
Extra low prices At Publix? That's hilarious.

Customer service? Stop stocking the shelves while I'm trying to shop.

BOGO. Another huge scam.

Just lower prices to what other stores sell things for and be done with it.
LOL. How is it a scam?

Old 07-26-2018, 08:35 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo's Garage View Post
BOGO. Another huge scam.
Fake news. Esp on beer. You aren't getting a 12-pack of longneck bottled, premium variety, anywhere for 9.99 after BOGO discount.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Fake news. Esp on beer. You aren't getting a 12-pack of longneck bottled, premium variety, anywhere for 9.99 after BOGO discount.
Nor are you getting 2 25oz bottles of cold-pressed olive oil for $18 (after BOGO discount) anywhere.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:24 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
they are a little bit high price, but i like them, clean and neat, I hate that they dont open till 8:30am, sometimes i need something on the ride into work

Old 07-26-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
they are a little bit high price, but i like them, clean and neat, I hate that they dont open till 8:30am, sometimes i need something on the ride into work
The ones near me open at 7AM and close at 10PM.

That said, while I agree that yes, their regular prices may be slightly higher than average, it's not THAT much more, and their sales/BOGOs can lead to some pretty substantial savings. Stuff like Cascade dishwasher pods, cereal, olive oil, bags of lettuce, etc., can definitely add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida