Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 12:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy99 View Post
I don't understand what you are saying?

We are talking about Florida.

Is there some automatic programming going around that makes it so people cannot look beneath their own feet? Does it say to answer complex problems with "what about" or "look at"??

Heros like Reagan and Nixon and Arnold and many other top pols are/were from CA. What the heck does that have to do with Florida dumping nutrients into shallow warm Gulf waters or rejecting Solar or cutting back on enforcement.

Florida IS an environmental catastrophe. The only remaining question is whether there is consensus for doing anything about it. I can count you out, but maybe your children have learned to actually address the problems at hand rather than offering answers that make no sense.

BTW, the car and other standards created and implemented in CA - which were then adopted by the 50 states - have saved us all from vast amounts of disease and pollution. Almost incalculable. Pollution doesn't stop at state lines.

Florida has the benefit of being surrounded by water and not having as much pollution carried by air from neighboring states. In theory that should make things easier and less expensive.

But when you do the very opposite of what is right it's not going to work. If everyone littered and stacked their trash and waste in their yards, what would the world look like? Well, we do that to some extent - it's just a question of exactly what extent you approve of.
I agree problems exist and need to be addressed. But by who? Who runs CA and yes in the PAST they did a good job, but not so good now.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:34 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Left-wingers being condescending to others, such as here is probably a good reason seniors disagree with left-wing POV about climate.

Many FL seniors I know have advanced degrees, follow events closely, have a lot more experience than many militants here. Yet, left-wingers attack them as "riled up", "don't care" "don't know what they're doing" and other epithets.

Yet, these seniors built a society that 30 million lettuce pickers risked their lives to come to illegaly. But, these seniors don't know what they are doing when it comes the environment they live in, and leave their children to?
One AARP survey, where we don't even know the survey questions or protocol, doesn't provide much evidence about what seniors, let alone highly educated seniors, actually believe about climate change, let alone about how it impacts their voting decisions. A large minority, even a majority of senior voters, may be very concerned about man-made climate change.

The rest of your argument is a grand straw man argument. Seniors, man-made climate change science deniers, Jeopardy champions, etc., none of these groups know more collectively about man-made climate change than the likes of climate experts, marine biologists, etc., who actually study the impact of carbon dioxide emissions on the environment.

Importantly, by definition, man-made climate change deniers are NOT conservatives. Gutting the environment and ignoring empirical evidence and peer-reviewed, settled scientific research are NOT conservative values. I very much believe in environmental conservation, and, on other issues, few persons who know me consider me left-wing.

Man-made climate change science deniers are often blatantly condescending, as evidenced by this post and by other posts in Florida threads discussing the environment. And then there is the Chief Denier Donald Trump, whose specialties include disingenuous character assassination and fallacious mockery.

With science and empirical evidence on the side of transitioning ASAP away from fossil fuel consumption, man-made climate change deniers must resort to propaganda, straw man arguments, condescension, etc., to argue their inane position.

BTW, the Pew Research Center likely conducts the most comprehensive polls about how Americans view climate change. Almost 60 percent of Americans overall earlier this year believed that climate change affects their local communities. I would be surprised if the number, if a poll was conducted today, wouldn't be much higher in Florida in the aftermath of the wide-spread, persistent red tide and other toxic algal blooms and Hurricane Michael. Persons living closer to coast lines believe more strongly that climate change affects their communities, and a very large percentage of Floridians live within 25 miles of a coast.

Most Americans say climate change affects their community

Only 19 percent of Americans believe that the federal government is doing about the right amount to reduce the effects of climate change. Republicans, often man-made climate science deniers, want increased production of fossil fuels.

Majorities See Government Efforts to Protect the Environment as Insufficient

Old 10-17-2018, 01:43 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Left-wingers being condescending to others, such as here is probably a good reason seniors disagree with left-wing POV about climate.

Many FL seniors I know have advanced degrees, follow events closely, have a lot more experience than many militants here. Yet, left-wingers attack them as "riled up", "don't care" "don't know what they're doing" and other epithets.

Yet, these seniors built a society that 30 million lettuce pickers risked their lives to come to illegaly. But, these seniors don't know what they are doing when it comes the environment they live in, and leave their children to?
Baby boomers have raped this country more than anyone else in history.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:57 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
What is your advanced degree in Henry?
I asked this question before but didn’t get an asnwer. Maybe you will answer — do you liberals go thru some sort of secret training, where you in lockstep with all the others, always go for character assassination and personal attack on anybody who does not toe the party line?

Old 10-17-2018, 01:59 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
I asked this question before but didn’t get an asnwer. Maybe you will answer — do you liberals go thru some sort of secret training, where you in lockstep with all the others, always go for character assassination and personal attack on anybody who does not toe the party line?
Is Donald Trump a liberal again?

Old 10-17-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Baby boomers have raped this country more than anyone else in history.
Radical left has usurped the environmentalist movement, just like they are doing now with the Democrat Party. Maybe boomers see thru it.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Is Donald Trump a liberal again?
Trump was a liberal, but now the radicalized left has pushed Trump into solid conservatism. He knows he will never have peace with the left again, and he sees no other choice. But thats for another thread.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:08 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Trump was a liberal, but now the radicalized left has pushed Trump into solid conservatism. He knows he will never have peace with the left again, and he sees no other choice. But thats for another thread.
Solid? I don't think so. But wow--did he ever give a lot of money to the Clintons and Schumer (guess it was before he got 'solid')!

Old 10-17-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Solid? I don't think so. But wow--did he ever give a lot of money to the Clintons and Schumer (guess it was before he got 'solid')!
I hail originally from NYC and was very familair with local politics. Trump has swung right big time. Leftists will not be happy until they see him hanging from a telephone pole. He has passed the point of no return. What would you do?

Old 10-17-2018, 03:07 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,184 times
Hard to argue with 60 year old high school degree logic

/S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida