Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 03:50 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Yea, I looked up HEB fried chicken and it's 220 calories for 3 ounces (85g)... about the same, I just decided to not post that since I'm tired of arguing anymore with sinatra on this thread.
Yes. There is another poster who complains about Publix's Greenwise products requirements, especially the "up to 70% organic ingredients" thing. They basically have two levels. Greenwise ( up to 70% one) and Greenwise-Organic (UDSA Organic).

Then I went to Amazon Prime Now to look at some Whole Food's 365 items. They have two lines too. One is more on the "all natural" side and one is USDA organic.

Lucky's and Earth Fare sell fried chicken. It's unflavored trash. I don't eat it a lot anymore, but when I do, it's coming from Publix or Winn-Dixie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 04:00 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Cub Foods, Gelson's, Raley's, Wegmans, H-E-B, Bristol Farms, Mariano's, Fairway, Heinen's, the number of REGULAR supermarket chains across America that stock fresh truffles AND OTHER "SNOOTY" FOODS are numerous. Guess someone must be buying all those lobsters and truffles at REGULAR supermarkets. In Cleveland you can find Kraft Mac and Cheese AND fresh truffles at Heinen's Grocery store.

Publix customers are stuck with old greasy salads and fried chicken, however. Not my idea of an "upper middle class" supermarket. But maybe Floridians think fried chicken is an upper class, oh excuse me, "snooty" food. Oh wait. I'm a native Floridian and grew up going to Publix. And that's NOT what I want at my grocery store! And it's certainly not what I consider to be upper middle class food.
But I guess my question is - why do YOU care so much? By your own admission, you like to shop online. And if you want those type gourmet items, you can purchase online or at one of the more specialty stores. Where I live it's a foodie heaven of stores. I don't need Publix to be anything more than a clean basic grocery store with a good selection of basic items. Again, I can go to any number of chain or independent gourmet and health type stores, and that includes French and other ethnic bakeries, etc., independent Latin supermarkets, upscale independent grocery (Morton's) etc.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
TBH, everyone is a potential Trade Joe's customer. That store is awesome for what it is. If you put one in Lakeland it would do well.
I want to like Trader Joe's and maybe it's different if you live close enough to one that you can really buy from the fridge & freezer cases, but every time I'm in one, I come away with the sense that it's only really about moderately interesting snack foods and the cheapest price on the cat treats my little Siamese girl seems to love more than lives #1-5 itself. (slots 6-9 are for cantaloupe because Siamese cats are weird)

Old 05-10-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I want to like Trader Joe's and maybe it's different if you live close enough to one that you can really buy from the fridge & freezer cases, but every time I'm in one, I come away with the sense that it's only really about moderately interesting snack foods and the cheapest price on the cat treats my little Siamese girl seems to love more than lives #1-5 itself. (slots 6-9 are for cantaloupe because Siamese cats are weird)
I'm with you - there is nothing that special about Trader Joe's. Their breads are stale, I have bought old moldy cheese there, and the produce is worse than Aldi (old and wilted) It is basically a snack food store with a decent selection of wine. Even Publix is selling that "cookie butter" now. Also it's a good drive from my house, so I quit going because there is not enough there to entice me to make the trip.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:33 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I'm with you - there is nothing that special about Trader Joe's. Their breads are stale, I have bought old moldy cheese there, and the produce is worse than Aldi (old and wilted) It is basically a snack food store with a decent selection of wine. Even Publix is selling that "cookie butter" now. Also it's a good drive from my house, so I quit going because there is not enough there to entice me to make the trip.
Interesting observations I have yet to experience as a long time customer of Trader Joe's in various locations who also has fairly high standards for freshness/quality. The store goes well beyond snacks with a good variety of produce and many items not found at Publix (ever), well-priced nuts/snack mixes, excellent coffees you can grind in store at cost well below elsewhere, very good canned/jarred pantry items, a small but remarkably good selection of very well-priced soaps/body washes/lotions/shampoos and household cleaning items, excellent kosher chicken, pork chops, ground beef, steaks/roasts, sausages (chicken, turkey, pork), a nice variety of cheeses, some terrific frozen items (especially vegetables and pizzas) and more. Their produce is fresher and lasts longer typically than anything found at Publix from my experiences and a grocery trip involving produce, meats, pantry items, etc costs a good 20%-25% less than what I would comparably find at Publix. In other words if one opens their mind and looks a bit closer it's not as you described.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:16 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Interesting observations I have yet to experience as a long time customer of Trader Joe's in various locations who also has fairly high standards for freshness/quality. The store goes well beyond snacks with a good variety of produce and many items not found at Publix (ever), well-priced nuts/snack mixes, excellent coffees you can grind in store at cost well below elsewhere, very good canned/jarred pantry items, a small but remarkably good selection of very well-priced soaps/body washes/lotions/shampoos and household cleaning items, excellent kosher chicken, pork chops, ground beef, steaks/roasts, sausages (chicken, turkey, pork), a nice variety of cheeses, some terrific frozen items (especially vegetables and pizzas) and more. Their produce is fresher and lasts longer typically than anything found at Publix from my experiences and a grocery trip involving produce, meats, pantry items, etc costs a good 20%-25% less than what I would comparably find at Publix. In other words if one opens their mind and looks a bit closer it's not as you described.
I'd probably go there if it were close.

While I'm not super into the organic thing (as it is more of a marketing term), I appreciate "different" stores like Lucky's and Earth Fare for thinking beyond Winter Park and Dr. Phillips when they entered the Orlando market. The Publix on Orange and Michigan (SODO) has been "different" when it comes to product assortment for years as they obviously knew that area had the income base to support more upscale offerings. If I needed or wanted something a little special or uncommon, that was the Publix to visit.

Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and Trader Joe's missed out on a lucrative area.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:32 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I'd probably go there if it were close.

While I'm not super into the organic thing (as it is more of a marketing term), I appreciate "different" stores like Lucky's and Earth Fare for thinking beyond Winter Park and Dr. Phillips when they entered the Orlando market. The Publix on Orange and Michigan (SODO) has been "different" when it comes to product assortment for years as they obviously knew that area had the income base to support more upscale offerings. If I needed or wanted something a little special or uncommon, that was the Publix to visit.

Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and Trader Joe's missed out on a lucrative area.
I don't think Whole Foods will be missing too many upcoming lucrative opportunities due to size constraints if their new prototype succeeds, which I would bet will if executed properly.

https://progressivegrocer.com/whole-...ll-concept-nyc

Old 05-11-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Kyle, it could just be the store here in Sarasota, but it IS as I described; stores elsewhere may be better. I am thinking it is because Sarasota just has an incredible amount of selection when it comes to shopping, and this little TJ's can't keep up. Even the Publix stores here are some of the best, and we have incredible independent stores and farmers markets along with TWO Whole Foods, Sprouts, Lucky's, Earth Fare, Detweiler's (Amish grocery, fabulous) and numerous European bakeries. Perhaps if TJ was closer I might go there once in awhile, but as is, I have better places to go.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I don't think Whole Foods will be missing too many upcoming lucrative opportunities due to size constraints if their new prototype succeeds, which I would bet will if executed properly.

https://progressivegrocer.com/whole-...ll-concept-nyc
I would LOVE to see Whole Foods bring that concept here - it was what I was referring to earlier, a kind of tiny "bodega" type store in a way. Sadly, they probably would not put one anywhere near me....although the perfect location would be the North Trail, where all the colleges are along with Ringling Museum. Lots of smaller commercial parcels for sale there, and a new Starbucks is being built so who knows....

Old 05-11-2019, 08:41 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Kyle, it could just be the store here in Sarasota, but it IS as I described; stores elsewhere may be better. I am thinking it is because Sarasota just has an incredible amount of selection when it comes to shopping, and this little TJ's can't keep up. Even the Publix stores here are some of the best, and we have incredible independent stores and farmers markets along with TWO Whole Foods, Sprouts, Lucky's, Earth Fare, Detweiler's (Amish grocery, fabulous) and numerous European bakeries. Perhaps if TJ was closer I might go there once in awhile, but as is, I have better places to go.
+1 for mentioning Detweiler's. Absolutely fantastic store.

That said, as far as Central Florida goes, I've yet to see anything come remotely close to Freshfield Farms when it comes to variety, quality, and prices. Freshfields Farm | Ultimate Destination for the Finest Quality Freshest Meats and Produce There is simply nothing like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida