Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 06:33 AM

4,476 posts, read 3,844,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I enjoy the ridiculous banter. Its nice that someone at least tries to be friendly. Its a lot better than the checkout folks at Walmart

I would rather check out on my phone or do self-checkout, whether it's Publix, Walmart or Wegmans! I cannot wait until everyone has an phone app for checkout. Kroger and Walmart are already doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 08:27 AM

3,321 posts, read 2,134,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
YOU didn't. Another poster did. I don't feel like going back through 20 pages of Publix arguments (more, since it might be in one of the 3 other threads recently created) to find it.
Ah, alright. Thought I may have been losing my mind for a second there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I would rather check out on my phone or do self-checkout, whether it's Publix, Walmart or Wegmans! I cannot wait until everyone has an phone app for checkout. Kroger and Walmart are already doing that.
I suspect that sometime within the next decade or two, actual checkout areas within stores will not exist. The technology for this already exists and has been implemented on a small scale. I'm comparatively young (mid-30's) and tech-savvy, but I find the prospect of this equal parts attractive and disturbing.

I can't emphasize the 'disturbing' element enough. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that stores will literally know more about you than you do yourself at some point, and whether it be through an app or augmented reality device, AI will constantly bombard you with information as a result. Imagine going into a mega-store (Walmart, for example) and, within seconds, you get a notification on your phone with a graphic replete with tabs that includes the following:
  • Your height, weight, and BMI.
  • Your core temperature and blood pressure.
  • Detailed analytics of your purchasing and eating habits.
    • Reminders of the same for your spouse & children, and where your interests overlap.
  • Food recommendations based on a combination of the above as well as additional recommendations based on the results of your most recent doctor's check-up.
    • "We see you consume a lot of alcohol. Instead try an herbal tea blend from Celestial today!"
    • "We see you consume a lot of alcohol. Consider scheduling an appointment with <insert advertising physician> today. Activate this offer to get your first visit free! Alternatively, tap here to find your nearest support group."
  • Other product recommendations and personalized discount offers based on online search and video-watching history.
    • "Your wife read/watched 50 Shades this past Saturday. Purchase a tube of Trojan Fire & Ice personal lubricant and receive $1.00 off today!"
I dunno, just seems like it's going to lead evermore towards something creepy. Our phones already passively listen to everything we say. Next thing you know the damned toilet's going to start monitoring and evaluating our morning dumps. I swear, if a toilet starts talking to me I'm going to shoot it. The bad thing is that I'll get a sound notification on my phone immediately after reminding me that I could save $5 today if I buy more ammo.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Ah, alright. Thought I may have been losing my mind for a second there..

I suspect that sometime within the next decade or two, actual checkout areas within stores will not exist. The technology for this already exists and has been implemented on a small scale. I'm comparatively young (mid-30's) and tech-savvy, but I find the prospect of this equal parts attractive and disturbing.

I can't emphasize the 'disturbing' element enough. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that stores will literally know more about you than you do yourself at some point, and whether it be through an app or augmented reality device, AI will constantly bombard you with information as a result. Imagine going into a mega-store (Walmart, for example) and, within seconds, you get a notification on your phone with a graphic replete with tabs that includes the following:
  • Your height, weight, and BMI.
  • Your core temperature and blood pressure.
  • Detailed analytics of your purchasing and eating habits.
    • Reminders of the same for your spouse & children, and where your interests overlap.
  • Food recommendations based on a combination of the above as well as additional recommendations based on the results of your most recent doctor's check-up.
    • "We see you consume a lot of alcohol. Instead try an herbal tea blend from Celestial today!"
    • "We see you consume a lot of alcohol. Consider scheduling an appointment with <insert advertising physician> today. Activate this offer to get your first visit free! Alternatively, tap here to find your nearest support group."
  • Other product recommendations and personalized discount offers based on online search and video-watching history.
    • "Your wife read/watched 50 Shades this past Saturday. Purchase a tube of Trojan Fire & Ice personal lubricant and receive $1.00 off today!"
I dunno, just seems like it's going to lead evermore towards something creepy. Our phones already passively listen to everything we say. Next thing you know the damned toilet's going to start monitoring and evaluating our morning dumps. I swear, if a toilet starts talking to me I'm going to shoot it. The bad thing is that I'll get a sound notification on my phone immediately after reminding me that I could save $5 today if I buy more ammo.

I get what you are saying. But as I sit here waiting for my FREE Costco delivery...... man, it's so damn nice that I was able to avoid going to Costco this weekend, fighting the weekend crowds, standing in line, loading up my stuff in boxes, and carrying all those big boxes of stuff and packages of paper towels to the car and house. Technology has its benefits. I am willing to give them all the information they want if it means avoiding that stuff, plus not having to waste a trip to the store to get something that turns out to be out of stock, fighting for parking, etc.

Speaking of technology, I asked the Publix cashier yesterday whether they would be adding Apple Pay. She said "there's so much demand for it, everyone asks for it, I'm sure we will."

Old 05-06-2019, 11:14 AM

32 posts, read 26,844 times
Publix is what it is. It's a low-end grocery store with high prices.

I don't expect much from Publix, other than buy one get one free mayo and Boar's Head Meats.

I do wish they would take the lead in protecting our waters (like so many other stores have done) by banning plastic bags.

But like I said, we can't expect much from Publix. They are not designed to be anything special

Old 05-06-2019, 11:22 AM

491 posts, read 471,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogloverinFL View Post
Publix is what it is. It's a low-end grocery store with high prices.

I don't expect much from Publix, other than buy one get one free mayo and Boar's Head Meats.

I do wish they would take the lead in protecting our waters (like so many other stores have done) by banning plastic bags.

But like I said, we can't expect much from Publix. They are not designed to be anything special

Most grocery stores arent designed to be anything special. You go in, get your stuff and go on with your day.

This recent fascination with turning every mundane experience of everyday life into some luxury experience is bizarre. If I need something more top-end I'll just drive to Whole Foods instead. Big deal.

Publix has Boars Head and above average customer service. It serves its purpose.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:35 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UF_john View Post
Yes, it's like the management in some stores no longer cares anymore how long you have to wait. Broward is probably amongst the worst in the state. I was late twice because some nimrod was putting one tomato on at a time and couldn't find the swiss cheese so I had to wait and wait and I ended up having to logon to my conference call late while I was driving back to the office. We have a subway down the road but it's 3 more traffic lights and the people are complete morons. I mean they have sometimes only two people working during lunch rush and the line is out the door, and the parking is horrible, so I'm stuck with Publix.

Since Todd Jones became their CEO, the whole place has been going down the tubes. The older workers are trying to get their last couple years in and get out, and they took all the store bonuses away for all the new workers, so that's probably why they are so unmotivated.

BTW, You are supposed to get the item for free if it doesn't ring up correctly, but you should tell them it should be free, because somebody gets yelled at so they try to hide it, when they used to be upfront about it in the past, but it comes off the store manager's bonus. Also, they put "Clearance" tags on items, then they raise the price on them. The "Clearance" tag is a scam at Publix, it's not usually a sale or great deal. Same thing as the "3 for $6" type price tags to trick out-of-towners into thinking they have to buy three of the product, but it really just means $2/each. My favorite is the yogurt when they post 20/$10....eh, couldn't you just put "50 Cents Each"?

Also, they will definitely steal your sub in Broward. We have every form of shady low-life down here. Heck, they will probably try to steal your identity too if they put your name and phone number on it!
I have lived all over the US, and the "3 for $6" type stuff is not unique to Publix at all, and not even a recent thing either. No one is trying to trick anyone, even the slightest knowledge of grocery shopping will allow someone to know you do not need to buy three unless otherwise noted.

I have no idea why someone would still your sub, since it is not even paid for and they can go get one all the same.

I have never heard of the "you get your item free if it does not ring up properly". Maybe the cashiers have guidance to follow to allow it, managers further guidance, but never heard that being some rule.

Never encountered the issues you have with clearance, maybe you need to find another store?

Old 05-06-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
Most grocery stores arent designed to be anything special. You go in, get your stuff and go on with your day.

This recent fascination with turning every mundane experience of everyday life into some luxury experience is bizarre. If I need something more top-end I'll just drive to Whole Foods instead. Big deal.

Publix has Boars Head and above average customer service. It serves its purpose.

There is a very good reason why other grocery stores (not Publix) are redesigning their stores in order to offer what you call "luxury experiences".

The reason is to keep people going to physical stores, and to go into the store more often. Retailers are scared crapless that people are going to drastically curtail their trips to stores (due to e-commerce), which would mean a big
decline in impulse buys (which they derive much profit from) for grocers. You have no idea how much $$$$ they make from those 5 things in your cart you didn't plan to buy.

Wegmans and HEB and Cub Foods for example have restaurants and vast seating areas where community events take place. Creates goodwill in the community by offering space for local events. And people go to the events and end up buying stuff at the store. A win for the community and a win for the grocer.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:45 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post

Wegmans and HEB and Cub Foods for example have restaurants and vast seating areas where community events take place. Creates goodwill in the community by offering space for local events. And people go to the events and end up buying stuff at the store. A win for the community and a win for the grocer.
I'm really hoping Publix never does this.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:50 AM

491 posts, read 471,840 times
Quote:
Considering the Wegamns locations, and the bad weather/desolate areas they’re built around I don’t see a restaurant in a grocery store being overly appealing to Floridians like it would for someone living in Buffalo.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:

You must not have a kid in orchestra at school. Because its very popular at Bristol Farms in California, for example, to have the local school bands put on concerts for shoppers. Super popular at the holidays when they are doing Christmas concerts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida