Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2020, 11:36 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times

Advertisements

My stupid neighbors had this sizable block party last night, about 50 people all smashed, huddled together, zero face masks and social distancing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 11:50 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
My stupid neighbors had this sizable block party last night, about 50 people all smashed, huddled together, zero face masks and social distancing.
My point illustrated. Then when they go to get groceries today, they’ll have their masks, wipe down their carts, and stand 6ft apart in line, apply hand sanitizer as they leave, etc.. Sigh.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:46 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
MDC dashboard says there's plenty of beds.....as of yesterday.....about 5000 beds available of different types...that can be converted

...right at 1000 ICU beds...or beds that can be converted...available

https://www.miamidade.gov/informatio...-dashboard.pdf
Interesting correlating facts. Those numbers are changing, for instance of the Tampa Bay area's 13 hospitals 9 are reporting yesterday ICU units at full capacity. Furthermore many hospitals do not have the necessary skilled staffing to operate at full capacity, nor expand ICU space which requires more skilled nursing and higher density of nursing coverage (2 patients per RN). Also Respiratory Therapists are needed for ventilators, breathing treatments and constant re-positioning of patients to help keep lungs clear. There aren't unlimited numbers of those individuals either..

Old 07-05-2020, 02:27 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
We hit 200,000 cases on July 1st I was posting we hit 150,000. We hit 100,000 in June some time. Too many too fast. https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...8ddedb9b25e429

Old 07-05-2020, 03:06 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
What about all these Publix stores employees showing up Positive for this Virus? It's up to some 30 or so stores testing positive. This story I would think would be rather newsworthy, yet it's been barely talked about in the news. I guess I can figure out why.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:05 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,268,923 times
exactly.....I know it's got to be hard for them to report all the details....but lack of details makes it hard to figure out what's going on.....and to top it all off....not all of the dashboards are reporting the same numbers they do report

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Interesting correlating facts. Those numbers are changing, for instance of the Tampa Bay area's 13 hospitals 9 are reporting yesterday ICU units at full capacity. Furthermore many hospitals do not have the necessary skilled staffing to operate at full capacity, nor expand ICU space which requires more skilled nursing and higher density of nursing coverage (2 patients per RN). Also Respiratory Therapists are needed for ventilators, breathing treatments and constant re-positioning of patients to help keep lungs clear. There aren't unlimited numbers of those individuals either..

Old 07-06-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
What about all these Publix stores employees showing up Positive for this Virus? It's up to some 30 or so stores testing positive. This story I would think would be rather newsworthy, yet it's been barely talked about in the news. I guess I can figure out why.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coro...outputType=amp

July 6, 2020

I don’t know which method is the “correct” way to handle things, but I thought this article was timely.

Quote:
Publix publicly confirms cases, Walmart does not

Publix, which has more than 1,240 stores, has been confirming cases to news media outlets when asked about specific locations where employees have tested positive for the virus.

The strategy is unique for a major grocery store chain, even though it might not reveal every case.

Walmart and Winn-Dixie have not confirmed suspected cases at specific stores to the Orlando Sentinel.

A Walmart spokesman said in an email it is leaving individual confirmation up to local health departments “out of respect and privacy for our associates’ personal health.”

Old 07-06-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
How do you guys feel about eating in a restaurant, getting haircuts, etc? Most people I know have had a few haircuts now and have eaten out several times. I have not since before the shutdown.

A friend of mine wanted to eat out this week but I just don't know how I feel about eating in a restaurant 1) since you can't wear a mask and 2) they've been travelling all over lately. Just seems a bit risky to me.

Most people seem to think I'm being way too cautious over this. I also won't go to church because no masks and I remember a few super spreader events were from churches, especially singing. Being told indirectly I'm "forsaking the assembly" by not attending. Hmm, didn't know that applied to a pandemic...

Biggest thing I see is people my age (30s) aren't concerned with it. I don't want it and am not even particularly concerned about myself, but I'm around people older than me who could be at risk, so I feel I should be more concerned.
You may be onto something....

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/26/this...rus-cases.html

A bank saw a correlation between increased credit card use at restaurants and COVID numbers. They saw the opposite with increased grocery spending.

We shouldn’t take this as a smoking gun to pin blame for recent outbreaks, but it’s interesting data.
I mean, there could be a correlation between gym check in data and outbreaks too, but it would take a collaborative effort amongst the major brands (Planet, LA, Gold’s, etc.) to determine that.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:04 AM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Florida ranks 34th of 50 in death rate at 1.8%. 33 states are more deadly, & only 16 less lethal.

The national average is 4.4%.

With so many older residents, I'd say Florida is doing a great job of staying alive. I give Florida a grade of A-

Maine, who had an older population than Florida is at 3.2%, almost double that of Florida.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/

Old 07-07-2020, 05:07 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Florida ranks 34th of 50 in death rate at 1.8%. 33 states are more deadly, & only 16 less lethal.

The national average is 4.4%.

With so many older residents, I'd say Florida is doing a great job of staying alive. I give Florida a grade of A-

Maine, who had an older population than Florida is at 3.2%, almost double that of Florida.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/
Germany (population 82 million): 198,000 cases

France (population 67 million): 169,000 cases

Canada (population 33 million): 106,000 cases

Florida (population 19 million): 214,000 cases

On what planet is Florida an A-? Especially with the months of preparation the state had while the virus was hitting Europe and the American northeast hard while Florida was barely touched? Florida had plenty of warning and examples those places didn't have. They had plenty of time listen to the medical experts and mandate masks, roll out strict social distancing rules, and set up a robust contact tracing program. They did none of those things. With the massive advantage of being hit much later than much of the rest of the world, the state still failed and now it's spreading like wildfire. F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida