Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 06:14 AM

25,718 posts, read 12,793,994 times

Advertisements

So many New Yorkers were fleeing to Florida during the height of the New York covid-19 death wave, that Florida Governor DeSantis put up a road block on I-95, the major interstate that carries the New Yorkers into Florida.

This was done to dissuade New Yorkers from coming to Florida, or at least slow the migration. Each car was stopped, and each occupant had to provide personal information so that a 2 week quarrantine could be enforced against them.

That is as strict of a measure I've seen from any Governor, one that was later followed by other Governors, yet DeSantis has been called "wreckless" for his approach to covid-19.

I'll let Florida's results speak for themselves. Florida's a large state by land mass, yet has ~1/2 the deaths-per-million than the tiny state of Delaware has....Joe Biden's State. Florida still has ~1/5th the deaths per million as New Jersey, & New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 06:27 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,195,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
So many New Yorkers were fleeing to Florida during the height of the New York covid-19 death wave, that Florida Governor DeSantis put up a road block on I-95, the major interstate that carries the New Yorkers into Florida.

This was done to dissuade New Yorkers from coming to Florida, or at least slow the migration. Each car was stopped, and each occupant had to provide personal information so that a 2 week quarrantine could be enforced against them.

That is as strict of a measure I've seen from any Governor, one that was later followed by other Governors, yet DeSantis has been called "wreckless" for his approach to covid-19.

I'll let Florida's results speak for themselves. Florida's a large state by land mass, yet has ~1/2 the deaths-per-million than the tiny state of Delaware has....Joe Biden's State. Florida still has ~1/5th the deaths per million as New Jersey, & New York.
Amen! Gov DeSantis is doing a good job

Old 08-02-2020, 06:43 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,801,283 times
Something liberals love and Gov DeSantis is doing... environmental leader, absolutely committed to improving the quality of water and the one that should make them giggle like school girls... he's has a climate change czar.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2...nge-republican

Solar is/has been taking off in the sunshine state... Florida. https://www.solarpowerworldonline.co...installations/

Old 08-02-2020, 06:49 AM

25,718 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Something liberals love and Gov DeSantis is doing... environmental leader, absolutely committed to improving the quality of water and the one that should make them giggle like school girls... he's has a climate change czar.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2...nge-republican

Solar is/has been taking off in the sunshine state... Florida. https://www.solarpowerworldonline.co...installations/
Yet another reason New Yorkers flee to Florida.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:11 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,747,649 times
Quote:

Texas did it with Louisiana a couple of months ago.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:39 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Quote:
This was a total joke in execution- any time traffic got backed up, they'd start waving cars through with no contact info if the occupants just said they were driving to a condo they already owned and there was zero enforcement or follow up.

Same policy was in place for Louisiana for while and the Cajuns were wandering around free here during what is usual peak spring break season and the only law enforcement contact anyone got was the usual SO calls to break up beach house parties.

Unlike Hawaii where they did and continue to enforce quarantine rules.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:53 AM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
but Hawaii has got the same problems...

Health official says COVID-19 cluster on Maui is tied to large beach parties

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...beach-parties/

Old 08-02-2020, 08:59 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,691,899 times
Quote:
DeSantis Says New Yorkers are Fleeing to Florida.
That is so, because he believes everything the Fool on the Hills tells him.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:02 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,801,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
That is so, because he believes everything the Fool on the Hills tells him.
It's math... so

Old 08-02-2020, 09:50 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
but Hawaii has got the same problems...

Health official says COVID-19 cluster on Maui is tied to large beach parties

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...beach-parties/
Hawaii's population- 1.4 million
Total number of cases- 2100 since start of pandemic
Total deaths- 25

Western Florida panhandle population (I stopped just west of Tallahassee/Leon County)- 1.2 million
Total number of cases- 22739
Total deaths- 372

So even though 'Hawaii has problems too' their quarantine efforts are being 10X more successful. Some of that comes from being an island chain that can easily restrict access but a lot of that is leadership and a willingness to take a short term hit for greater long term economic stability.

The Japanese will come back to Hawaii soon; I suspect the Canadian snowbirds won't come back to Sarasota quite as quickly now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida