Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do Northerners move to Florida usually and not vice versa?
The COL/taxes are lower, even after paying for hurricane/sinkhole insurance and high sales taxes. 16 33.33%
Because blizzards and the cold are even worse than hurricanes and humidity. 32 66.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 07:27 AM

860 posts, read 321,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
I am in SoFla 3 miles from the Atlantic as the crow flies.
My home insurance (not a condo) is $2400/ yr for 1200#under air (2000# fee simple).
Flood insurance is $300/year thru Lloyd's of London.
I have impact windows, new roof, hurricane shutters over sliders.. so likely could get a wind mitigation reduction.
I haven't got an inspection for these improvements ... I am a bit lazy.
3 miles from the coast might be the problem with your insurance cost. Many have a 5 mile limit where they jack the rates. Once 5 miles away from the coast, rate drop dramatically for many insurance companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 01:32 PM

370 posts, read 903,497 times
I moved back home because socially it was a better fit. We had moved to Minnesota and it wasn't the cold that froze us, it was the icy people. No thanks. It took a while but I eventually made it back. The warmer weather was just the icing on the cake.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:35 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
I moved back home because socially it was a better fit. We had moved to Minnesota and it wasn't the cold that froze us, it was the icy people. No thanks. It took a while but I eventually made it back. The warmer weather was just the icing on the cake.
Interesting. I thought people usually said people in Minnesota are nice while Florida lacks community. But everyone has a different experience.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:44 PM

370 posts, read 903,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Interesting. I thought people usually said people in Minnesota are nice while Florida lacks community. But everyone has a different experience.
That was my expectation when I left TBH FL to begin with. I think it has to do with where in Florida. SoFla is very different from where I am now (Central FL, east coast and west coast alternately).

Old 06-08-2020, 01:51 PM

648 posts, read 518,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
That was my expectation when I left TBH FL to begin with. I think it has to do with where in Florida. SoFla is very different from where I am now (Central FL, east coast and west coast alternately).
Curious - how so?

Old 06-08-2020, 11:07 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,820 times
Quote:
The slogan "Minnesota Nice" is really just a slogan, probably from the tourism department. Although people aren't horrible in Minnesota, except for the extreme leftists, which are a horror show. The unique thing about Florida is that most people are not from Florida. They came to Florida from some other state.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:15 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
The slogan "Minnesota Nice" is really just a slogan, probably from the tourism department. Although people aren't horrible in Minnesota, except for the extreme leftists, which are a horror show. The unique thing about Florida is that most people are not from Florida. They came to Florida from some other state.
Right, because Florida is rapidly growing from net positive domestic migration. Same with Texas, very high percentage of people are from another state.

In California, they have a very high percentage of residents from out of the country and a very high percentage of people who were born in state but a relatively low percentage of people born out of state. Because California is a state where people leave for other states more often than people from other states move in.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:41 AM

236 posts, read 208,899 times
[quote=davephan;58295246]That's an easy question to answer! The snow belt winters! The high taxes, and other problems that go along with living in a solid blue state.

Now more then ever my relatives in Illinois near Chicago are talking about moving out. Sick of their state being ruined by its Governor. I told them come on down to Florida and see the difference with a Republican Governor. The higher auto and homeowners insurance will be offset by the lower real estate taxes >>and no state Income tax.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:58 AM

860 posts, read 321,932 times
Quote:
Have you watched the news lately? Minnesotans nice?

Old 06-09-2020, 12:07 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,865 times
Quote:
Right, because Florida is rapidly growing from net positive domestic migration. Same with Texas, very high percentage of people are from another state.

In California, they have a very high percentage of residents from out of the country and a very high percentage of people who were born in state but a relatively low percentage of people born out of state. Because California is a state where people leave for other states more often than people from other states move in.
That assertion is false. Most people who live in Texas were either born in Texas or a foreign country. Here is the statistical breakdown:
  • 82% of people who were born in Texas still live in Texas.
  • 61% of current Texas residents were born in Texas.
  • 17% of Texas residents were born outside of the United States.
As you may observe from the map reflected on the second webpage cited below, 70-80% of residents in most Texas counties were born in Texas. Even in Harris County (Houston), which is the third most populous county in the United States with nearly five million residents, 50-60% of the local population was born in the state of Texas. That is an incredible statistic, IMO, especially for a major Sun Belt city/county.

By comparison, Florida doesn't even register.

Sources:

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 06-09-2020 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida