Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 07:26 AM

417 posts, read 267,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
~not expecting Miami to be like Boston or San Francisco in terms of intellectuals.
~conspiracy theory/hoax believer residents of South Florida.
~I am surrounded by idiots, selfish people, people who dont care for others health.
~This is not how people in the North East behave.
~I was revolted by this guy.
~ anywhere in South Florida where people are not totally selfish conspiracy theory believers?
~I am younger than all of these morons so I almost have no hope for meeting anyone around my age down here who isn't a complete moron.
You are so right. You are too insightful, intellectual, compassionate, and just plain too good for Florida.
You really need to return to the North East where you can find another non-moron and live happily ever after.

In the meantime......Another Great Day to enjoy Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 07:36 AM

413 posts, read 301,405 times
Quote:
I moved here with an open mind. I was not expecting Miami to be like Boston or San Francisco in terms of intellectuals.

But I feel like I'm on a sinking ship being led by De Santis and the conspiracy theory/hoax believer residents of South Florida.

Meanwhile the positive test rate in Miami is 33.5 percent while in Boston its only 1.9 percent.

On a zoom call with my mostly college grad coworkers half of them were talking about the conspiracy theories (like covid was engineered by US government, or created by China to take out our economy, or Fauci and Bill Gates conspired to create a fake hoax pandemic to profit off of) they believe these things and were preaching to us on a zoom call about it.

My heart sunk. I feel I am surrounded by idiots, selfish people, people who dont care for others health, etc. This is not how people in the North East behave. New York was a huge tragedy even with a leader like Cuomo and residents taking CDC guidelines seriously.

How can Florida not end up worse than New York at this rate?

I went to the condos shared pool last weekend and a man was in the pool about 30 years older than me and fat trying to hit on me. He said he tested positve for covid in March and believes everyone should get it to create herd immunity.

He takes no precautions and goes to Duffys regulary. I guess he doesn't care if people with cancer all die prematurely. I was revolted by this guy.

Then my only best friend down here just had a baby and she takes the baby out to restaurants and goes to bars with out masks in palm beach county.

I guess I feel like this pandemic has shown me peoples true colors. Is there anywhere in South Florida where people are not totally selfish conspiracy theory believers? Or should I just move once again?
I hate winters but I am starting to feel like I dont belong here anymore because I dont believe everything I read on facebook.

I am younger than all of these morons so I almost have no hope for meeting anyone around my age down here who isn't a complete moron.

You should be living in a liberal city that has a liberal governor. I am greatful for the job that DeSantis has done for us in Florida. You may be happier in a retirement home in NYC or New Jersey. Diblasio and Cuomo may be more up your alley.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:43 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I don't think the Florida problem is one of ineffective management at all. It's that far too many folks in adjacent states heard "the beach is open" and confused it with "the virus is over." You haven't seen crazy until you drive through Destin and see 100K out-of-state plates .... on every road and every restaurant, store, parking lot, beach, etc. packed with lines of tourists who seem to feel immune to COVID. (It appears the servers, waiters, etc. are NOT immune. Local rumors are that many restaurants are about ready to re-close on their own, due to illness-related staff losses).
As the virus has rolled through Cocoa Beach we've had a lot of restaurants and City facilities close because of new cases. Some restaurants have closed more than once. The kids' world series of baseball is at Viera right now and town is full of families who brought their kids from out of state for the series. Hundreds of visitors from all over some who'll be bringing infections they already have and others taking little surprises home with them.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:44 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
move to China....according to them....it didn't even exist there

Old 07-11-2020, 07:54 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Maybe you'd like Seattle better. Or Minneapolis.....

But please, if you don't like it here, do leave. Do yourself, and others a big favor.

It's much too dangerous for you to stay here. You'd like it much better in:

New York
New Jersey
Connecticut
Mass
Vermont
Maryland
Illinois
Michigan
Delaware
Rhode Island
Washington DC
New Hampshire
Minnesota
Pennsylvania
Virginia

These states/districs/commonwealths are all more intellectually inclined liberal places...places that wished they had DeSantis's C-19 superior deaths-per-capita results.

I'd rather be a surviving person of average intelligence than a dead intellectual, but you are certainly entitled to think otherwise.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:21 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
You are so right. You are too insightful, intellectual, compassionate, and just plain too good for Florida.
You really need to return to the North East where you can find another non-moron and live happily ever after.

In the meantime......Another Great Day to enjoy Florida!

Parsing out what I said in the original post to suit your witty response...why bother?

I never stated I feel superior or I'm smarter or more compassionate than floridians. All I'm saying is there are huge differences in how people are responding to covid around me in south florida vs. Friends in boston and ny/nj.

Several people I know here are posting crazy conspiracy on facrbook and shaming people for wearing masks and just generally believing every hairbrained conspiracy theory out there.

I have not seen a single person who does not live in Florida do this.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:35 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times
Quote:
I moved here with an open mind. I was not expecting Miami to be like Boston or San Francisco in terms of intellectuals.

But I feel like I'm on a sinking ship being led by De Santis and the conspiracy theory/hoax believer residents of South Florida.

Meanwhile the positive test rate in Miami is 33.5 percent while in Boston its only 1.9 percent.

On a zoom call with my mostly college grad coworkers half of them were talking about the conspiracy theories (like covid was engineered by US government, or created by China to take out our economy, or Fauci and Bill Gates conspired to create a fake hoax pandemic to profit off of) they believe these things and were preaching to us on a zoom call about it.

My heart sunk. I feel I am surrounded by idiots, selfish people, people who dont care for others health, etc. This is not how people in the North East behave. New York was a huge tragedy even with a leader like Cuomo and residents taking CDC guidelines seriously.

I went to the condos shared pool last weekend and a man was in the pool about 30 years older than me and fat trying to hit on me. He said he tested positve for covid in March and believes everyone should get it to create herd immunity.

He takes no precautions and goes to Duffys regulary. I guess he doesn't care if people with cancer all die prematurely. I was revolted by this guy.

Then my only best friend down here just had a baby and she takes the baby out to restaurants and goes to bars with out masks in palm beach county.

I guess I feel like this pandemic has shown me peoples true colors. Is there anywhere in South Florida where people are not totally selfish conspiracy theory believers? Or should I just move once again?
I hate winters but I am starting to feel like I dont belong here anymore because I dont believe everything I read on facebook.

I am younger than all of these morons so I almost have no hope for meeting anyone around my age down here who isn't a complete moron.
Sadly, you are surrounded by idiots. I'm a FL native and got outta there. There is no way to mitigate the damage of this virus when the leadership refuses to believe it's even a thing and won't do something as simple as mandate masks.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:37 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times
Quote:

Sadly, you are surrounded by idiots. I'm a FL native and got outta there. Still live in the south, and still have to deal with the idiocy, but at least where I live now it's pretty and amazingly I found my tribe.
There is no way to mitigate the damage of this virus when the leadership refuses to believe it's even a thing and won't do something as simple as mandate masks.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:40 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Move west/NW of the Rockies and you’ll find your tribe.
That's our retirement plan. Was hoping to grind it out a few more years to better position ourselves to be able to have more fun while we're relatively young but the state is doing its best to permanently disable us at this point. I like having lungs that can operate at optimal capacity and the lung scans of people who recover from Covid can be pretty scary.

What's the fun of planned early retirement is a disease messes up your body so much you can no longer knock out a ten mile hike?

Old 07-11-2020, 08:44 AM

417 posts, read 267,388 times
Quote:
Parsing out what I said in the original post to suit your witty response...why bother?

I never stated I feel superior or I'm smarter or more compassionate than floridians. All I'm saying is there are huge differences in how people are responding to covid around me in south florida vs. Friends in boston and ny/nj.

Several people I know here are posting crazy conspiracy on facrbook and shaming people for wearing masks and just generally believing every hairbrained conspiracy theory out there.

I have not seen a single person who does not live in Florida do this.

No, just highlighting your quotes.
Yes you did, it was painfully expressed as well as implied.

Good luck on your future move, hope all turns out well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida