Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 15,474 times

Advertisements

That's a pretty cynical statement, The Floridian. Not sure what you mean by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 01:11 PM

268 posts, read 900,365 times
BrandChick -
This is my opinion, just like you have an opinion.... if you can read english, perhaps you should re-read my post, or let me repeat it that Florida, for some unknown reason, the service industry is not so reliable (anymore, 1995 to now). I think it's better in bigger cities like Miami, Tampa, etc.

Example: //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...rida-suck.html

Old 12-29-2008, 01:37 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
The service industry may pick up as people who have those jobs and don't seem to want to really work can easily be replaced by people who WOULD appreciate the job. Perhaps the one good thing coming from such a high unemployment rate is that people will learn to value the jobs they do have.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:47 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I think the service industry is a mix depending on where you are. I have to say hubby and I have been mostly very lucky with service people, but then again we treat them really well.

We just recently moved to Manatee County, and the Brighthouse people were the best ever - they came out at night in pitch dark,not knowing it was going to be a completely new install for phone, cable and internet, yet they willingly did it and at one point I had a whole crew of FOUR here including the manage, and they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. I also found a very nice, and reliable electrician, plumber and AC man. Honestly, I haven't called a single service person here that was anything but reliable, honest and reasonable.

This is not to say I haven't had a few bad ones in the past (mostly in Pasco County) but I just think you can have this anywhere. Maybe we are just lucky in that regard.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:55 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
You know, the first year my husband moved down here he called us up in NY, when we were having a snowstorm, to tell us he was sitting on the beach. My daughter and I just looked at each other and laughed. We had just come in from shoveling snow. So what? Who cares? I have been here for a year and a half now and can count on one hand the number of times I have been to the beach, including in the winter. I don't do things just because I can. If I don't like something, I don't do it. I think so many people here THINK they are making people up north envious of their Florida lifestyle (sitting on the beach in January), but there are many, many people who would NOT trade places with you.

Why do some people feel the need to try to make others envious? Who are you trying to convince? I just don't get it.
I think this is the greatest post ever posted on City-Data.com, If I was able to rep you, I would have but I have to spread it around first..

Old 12-29-2008, 03:09 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
If you live in Deltona it is beyond bad. I cannot believe I am stuck here in this backwoods, terrible city/town whatever it is. I feel like I am living 20 years back with these wierd people around here..........how I hate it here! The place is full of rednecks and hillbillies! I have been stuck here for over 3 years now.....not one friend to be made.....absolutely nothing in common with these critters here! Including the one I am living with! This place is a joke!

Last edited by Blondie621; 12-29-2008 at 03:20 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 10:47 PM

7 posts, read 15,474 times
To The Floridian:
1) I can not only read English, but I can also use proper grammar and spell, as well. My forum name is BandChick, not BrandChick.
2) I did not appreciate the tone of your response. Your original post left little detail, and I was hoping for further clarification and/or examples from you on your statement-- not an attack on my literary skills.
3) If you did not think your initial statement was "cynical" in nature, and you wish to refute that, that is one thing. But according to Merriam-Webster, the definition of "cynical" is stated as being 'contemptuously distrustful of human nature and motives.' Your initial statement sounded cynical to me. That's what I said, and that's what I meant. No attack to be found.

A perfect example that you are, indeed, a cynic is your snippy response to me, believing that I am the bad guy and was attacking you. I meant no ill-will, and I felt that I implied none.

That being said-- Let's drop all this and talk respectfully on topic, okay?

So.....
Service Industry: Here in Illinois, we have been nothing short of disappointed with service personnel and their attitudes, especially in the communications industries (Verizon, AT&T Mobility, Comcast Cable, etc.). It is rare to find any interest in care for the customer, whether online, by phone, or in person. So, I suppose it is the same in Texas, Maine, New York, Seattle.... Florida is most likely not an exception. By moving there, I wouldn't expect a miraculous change in human nature. I'm guessing that the drive-thru attendant at McDonald's in Florida will be similar to one found here in Illinois-- i.e., He also isn't going to shoot me a winning smile with my sausage-and-egg biscuit, reflecting his excitement to be at work that day. ;-)

We are sincerely hoping that with all the current economic woes, businesses will wisen up and revert back to an emphasis on customer service, now that they are striving to keep and gain new business from customers in the tight market today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,956 times
Florida is #5 in the country for violent crime, # 3 for violent crime against children, 57.4% of high school graduation, one of the highest states for unemployment last heard 11.6%, one of the highest states for auto insurance, is a right to work state (employer can terminated an employee just because they do not like the glasses employee is wearing or the color of the outfit, etc), humidity is so high you feel like you have just stepped out of the shower before drying all the time, women's clothing choices are hoochy mamma, come to USA state or Florida to visit another country Spanish seems to be the primary language, etc. I detest living in Florida and can hardly wait to get the hell out of here. I moved here for a job that got outsourced to India not because I wanted to live here.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:35 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uuujjj View Post
Florida is #5 in the country for violent crime, # 3 for violent crime against children, 57.4% of high school graduation, one of the highest states for unemployment last heard 11.6%, one of the highest states for auto insurance, is a right to work state (employer can terminated an employee just because they do not like the glasses employee is wearing or the color of the outfit, etc), humidity is so high you feel like you have just stepped out of the shower before drying all the time, women's clothing choices are hoochy mamma, come to USA state or Florida to visit another country Spanish seems to be the primary language, etc. I detest living in Florida and can hardly wait to get the hell out of here. I moved here for a job that got outsourced to India not because I wanted to live here.
Cool story, man.

On the other hand, I haven't been a victim of violent crime, I don't beat kids, I finished high school, I enjoy the heat and the occasional humid day, and I am somehow able to survive only speaking English. And to think, all of this in Tampa, the state's third-largest city!

Old 10-24-2010, 10:25 PM

231 posts, read 849,642 times
Who moves to Florida not knowing it's hot/humid..I thought that was one of the attractions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida