Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:12 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I spent my summers there as a kid. I don't remember it being brutally hot. In fact August nights got pretty cold. They used to say Fall is on its way.
Well that's b/c that location is pretty much right on Lake Michigan and it's fairly nice there in the summer for the most part. K.C. is awful, it's around 600 miles from any major body of water unless you count the foul smelling rivers that run through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 08:15 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I love how you all cry about 90's being hot.

Come spend July and August up in the midwest and you'll see what hot is.

Midwestern heat and Florida heat are completely different. If it were just as hot in the midwest, there wouldn't be any snowbirds from there because they would be staying in the Florida heat in the summer.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:11 PM

255 posts, read 757,526 times
You shouldn't move to Florida just to make your friends/family envious...that's just rediculous and not what I meant when I posted. Florida is a perfect place for someone that likes living outdoors and doesn't mind a persistant heat. We get a winter down here but it is a much more tolerable winter as compared to up north. If you enjoy golf, gardening, the beaches, multi-cultural environments that bring the best of all cultures (food, music, art etc...) and a warm climate (once you can get used to it), then Florida is a great place to live. My family likes to brag when they have 60* weather and I am sweating in 80* at night and we find it funny. We then return the favor by calling them while they are having a major snow/ice storm and tell them we are at the beach or walking around in shorts...its all in fun...because WE each enjoy our surroundings.

Florida is a great place to live if you enjoy all the it offers. You just have to be prepared to make an adjustment and take your time in finding the perfect spot For You.

Best of luck on your move.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 15,478 times
I'm in Central Illinois right now. The ice and snow storms left their marks a week ago, and now it's warm and melted away. We are expecting, as we did last winter, flooding like crazy. On top of that, we're waiting for another freeze to make the streets sheets of ice again.

Personally-- and I know none of you are doing it on purpose-- I am jealous of you!! I am one of those people who must've been born in the wrong state. I spend so much of my time dreaming about moving to Florida. Why Florida? Why not Arizona or California? I love the beaches, the memories of being in Florida with my grandparents as a child and an adult, and I even don't mind humidity!! I can't think of one day where I've complained about humidity when it gets that way here in Illinois.... I like don't mind sleeping in hot weather. I love swimming and water and fishing. No one in my family snow skis, ice fishes, or snowmobiles. Winters are like wasted months for us. We want camping! We want amusement parks! We want to grill out all year long!

Only recently, after our most recent bouts of winter weather, my hubby has hinted that he's been very, very casually looking at jobs in Florida while online. BELIEVE ME! I jumped on that open door!! All I do is dream of that Gulf air breezing through my window, the bright sun pouring into the kitchen in the morning, and warm hands and feet-- all year round! My hands are like icicles right now, in fact. *sigh*

It's a big move with lots to get used to for each of us-- and I would hope that my husband wouldn't mind specifically the change of job, location (away from family, which we're not all that close to anyway), and no white Christmases. Personally-- I welcome all that. And that's why I'm jealous of you all-- you're already living my dream!! Hope to join you soon!!

Oh, and gypsystar-- We sound a lot alike, eh? I'm like a previous version of you, sounds like! LOL

Old 12-28-2008, 03:36 PM

255 posts, read 757,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandChick View Post
I am one of those people who must've been born in the wrong state.
you sound like me. I say that I was born a florida girl but was misplaced when they had me in New Jersey.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:06 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
Guess it seems unfair that people are swimming in pools here at the same time they are shoveling snow elsewhere....but one year I lived in Oklahoma and I truly have to say I prefer the weather changes and the snow to the boring Florida weather I've lived in the rest of my life. I'm always glad to hear that other people are truly happy here and love our humid paradise.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Guess it seems unfair that people are swimming in pools here at the same time they are shoveling snow elsewhere....but one year I lived in Oklahoma and I truly have to say I prefer the weather changes and the snow to the boring Florida weather I've lived in the rest of my life. I'm always glad to hear that other people are truly happy here and love our humid paradise.
Having grown up in Michigan and moving to Florida in my teens over 30 yrs ago, I miss the snow! Due to family and my dh's job, I've stayed in Florida, but I've yet to get use to the heat. I will say that living in N.FL is far better than central FL. At least there's a little change in weather up here. My favorite winter was the one we spent in Maggie Valley, N.C.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:18 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
I guess it must really suck to people living up North, who want to be in Florida and can't, to know that there are people living here who don't "appreciate" what they have. Well, as somebody who lived on an island for 20 years and went to the beach maybe 3 times in all those years, I can only say, "Yeah, life sometimes does kick you in the pants." You have to be in horrible winter weather. I have to be in horrible summer weather. Hopefully, our fates can be reversed someday. You will never understand how I feel. I can never understand how you feel.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:38 AM

7 posts, read 15,478 times
Grass is always greener on the other side, it seems! I suppose, also, that we can come back and get our "snow/cold fix" by coming back north for a week or so every winter to visit family.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:58 AM

268 posts, read 900,475 times
If you re-locate here, don't depend on others for any help because it's almost impossible to find reliable help anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida