Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:56 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It is beautiful here in the Sarasota area - warm days, yes a little humid right now, but nights feel cool ( we are two blocks from the bay) I sleep with windows open, fan on, and under the comforter - mornings are nice and cool!

Lakeland Yankee - I do know that parts of Lakeland can be very hot. Where we lived was near Lake Hollingsworth and we got a very nice breeze off that lake, it never felt bad to me.

As far as midwest summer, my hubby is from Indiana, and to him it is just as muggy and hot there in the summer as here in much of Florida.

Bottom line, in Florida you are better off to live near the coast or a large lake, IMO. But way down South Florida it is going to be relentlessly hot and humid - I really hate the weather down there (from about Ft. Myers and further south)
No doubt much more persistent heat and humidity in the southern third of the state. NE part of the state might have the least amount of A/C days. Sarasota gets a 10-15 degree break at night during the cooler months and much lower humidity than SE Florida.. Of course to northern transplants coming down here it is barely noticable.. This is only something long time or native Floridians would notice.. The most hilarious part of this is while some complain about the hell of endless summer of south Florida there are many folks whose blood has so thinned out over the years of living down there that they couldn't even survive those 'harsh' winter nights in places like Ocala so they are trapped in 'paradise' for life...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 05:05 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Low to mid 60s I wouldn't wear a sweater or jacket, just long sleeves and jeans. Windy and no sun (never in Florida), it would a sweatshirt maybe.
Sounds like you would enjoy the weather just about any other place but SoFla in the lower 48 states if you really think metro NYC weather is that good..lol I know just having a cool breeze, walking outside after 10am without sweating, having the windows open, wear a sweater and some nice clothes is too much to ask for 3-4 months a year. Jeez live north of I-4 in this state and figure on a good 10-12+ weeks of sweater weather a year, a nice change..

Old 01-02-2009, 06:37 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Were you inland Florida or at the beach? The temps are much better close to the beach imho. I know you never experienced a Lakeland summer or you wouldn't be saying that.
Right, because different people couldn't possibly like different weather.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:32 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Very excellent points!! Unfortunatly, some people just won't listen!! Understandably, some folks can't leave the area they live in due to health, family, job, selling a house......so, they have to tolerate (and don't like that either) the weather that is there. We are LUCKY, we have nothing stopping us from moving from an area that we really don't like (Charlotte), to a new area that looks very appealing to us (Jacksonville/Southside).
I'm right behind you, in regards to leaving the Charlotte area, and heading to Florida. I just need to finish up selling the townhouse( first buyer loan fell through but listed again for sale) then deciding where in Florida I'm putting down my feet...Gulf side for me, small town for me, I never EVER EVER want to be in or near anything like Charlotte again.

I'm just South of Charlotte in SC, yesterday morning? 20 degrees. If I wanted to live in that kind of cold I'd move back home to Ohio.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:16 AM

558 posts, read 1,835,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I have yet to meet one person who likes the weather in Lakeland or inland Florida during the summer. I'm talking about people who actually live here (natives and transplants). A vacationer may love it but spending a week or 2 is NOT the same as living it month after month and year after year.

Maybe there is someone out there who enjoys being drenched in sweat even at 7 AM walking to their car, I don't know. If they love heat and humidity so much then they won't need air conditioning and they'll be able to save money on their electric bill during the summer.

I'm enjoying this cooler weather we are having this week. I love these 70/50 temps.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
I tolerated 75-85 degrees as 3 MONTHS of SUMMER. It was not my idea of wonderful weather, so the "winters" here bother me just as much as the dreadful 90+ for the rest of the year. There is no nice weather to look forward to for me.

For those of you hate cold weather, just imagine if you had 9 months of 20 degrees, only to have a respite of 40 or 50 degrees for 3 months during the summers. That is the equivalent of how I feel.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:43 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
I have yet to meet one person who likes the weather in Lakeland or inland Florida during the summer.
I'd give you my mom's number, but I'm not sure that's a good idea, lol.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:49 PM

72 posts, read 161,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I dont know anyone that like to be uncomfortable, and I'm not buying it if you are trying to tell us ppl like oppressive heat and humidity for months on end. Do you know anyone that enjoys being uncomfortable cold? Have you ever met anyone that loves to sit in traffic? Probably not.

There are far more comfortable places to live than FL. FL has got to have one of the worst summers, if not the worst in the US. Just being honest.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:52 PM

72 posts, read 161,166 times
"I'm just South of Charlotte in SC, yesterday morning? 20 degrees. If I wanted to live in that kind of cold I'd move back home to Ohio."

OK, but wait until you move to SW FL and it hits atleast 89 degrees with over 80% humidity 235 days in a row... think I'm kidding?

You'll wish you could feel 20 degrees again.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web B. Rowser View Post
I dont know anyone that like to be uncomfortable, and I'm not buying it if you are trying to tell us ppl like oppressive heat and humidity for months on end. Do you know anyone that enjoys being uncomfortable cold? Have you ever met anyone that loves to sit in traffic? Probably not.

There are far more comfortable places to live than FL. FL has got to have one of the worst summers, if not the worst in the US. Just being honest.
I like the heat and I know people that like the cold. You make it sound like you hate heat and cold...don't move to the north because it's uncomfortably cold half the year. Your best bet is California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida