Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:50 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
This is definitely a huge issue and once again I'm not sure that this is a 'Florida only' problem.
Yeah, it definitely isn't. Here in Jersey City I tried to get Cable to show up for about ten months. I don't know why they didn't want my money but I finally got DirecTV instead. They've been happy getting my money.

Last edited by Keeper; 12-31-2008 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: removed comcast.. consumer complaint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Maybe it isn't a Florida thing as much as a change in work ethic thing. I've seen a secretary leave a job half-done because it was time to leave for the day. What's up with that?!
A lot of that is a reaction to employers, too (not that it would necessarily be a reaction to the particular employer they have at that moment, but due to a history of problems).

I've worked for relatively crazy bosses who (1) were fairly disorganized, and (2) would take advantage of you at every opportunity--often expecting you to work overtime, odd hours, etc. to basically clean up their messes or compensate for their craziness (like delaying everything because they're having a "meeting" for four hours that doesn't get anything accomplished whatsoever).

Often in those situations, employees will start to set their feet down and say, "I'm not staying later. You need to plan the workload so that it gets done in a reasonable time frame. If it's not planned so that I can leave here at 5:00 p.m., then it's going to have to wait until the next day."

I've done that myself. It's not that you wouldn't normally stay a bit later in an extraordinary situation. It's that you do not want to set a precedent where the boss is going to take advantage of your courtesy and start expecting you to stay late every other night. I've had bosses where there's some "emergency" nearly every day.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:09 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
A lot of that is a reaction to employers, too (not that it would necessarily be a reaction to the particular employer they have at that moment, but due to a history of problems).

I've worked for relatively crazy bosses who (1) were fairly disorganized, and (2) would take advantage of you at every opportunity--often expecting you to work overtime, odd hours, etc. to basically clean up their messes or compensate for their craziness (like delaying everything because they're having a "meeting" for four hours that doesn't get anything accomplished whatsoever).

Often in those situations, employees will start to set their feet down and say, "I'm not staying later. You need to plan the workload so that it gets done in a reasonable time frame. If it's not planned so that I can leave here at 5:00 p.m., then it's going to have to wait until the next day."

I've done that myself. It's not that you wouldn't normally stay a bit later in an extraordinary situation. It's that you do not want to set a precedent where the boss is going to take advantage of your courtesy and start expecting you to stay late every other night. I've had bosses where there's some "emergency" nearly every day.
I had some things like that happen to me in Ft. Myers..

My favorite is when your supervisor demands you work overtime EVERY single night ( In Florida, who in their right mind would turn down O.T. ? ) anyways, After a week of working O.T. and having roughly 50-60 hours worked, your boss's boss comes down on you for working over your 40 hours and the guy that told you to stay and do it whistles and walks off without saying a word...

Old 12-29-2008, 04:29 PM

268 posts, read 900,179 times
American workers, teamsters, unions, etc; they all complain, bit*h and moan... it never tops. I'm a business owner/entrepreneur.... ask yourself this; other than it's way cheaper to move your business to Mexico, Colombia, Asia; but Colombians, Mexicans never complain and they take great pride in their work, always to showing up for work every time.

Question: Have any of you folks spent anytime abroad? Colombia, Mexico or China? I’m not referring to the annual two week vacation with the wife and kids… how about living there for 6 months? And why don’t we? Because we might learn something about work ethics.

In America, last 15 years, workers complain about everything. Frankly, I'll never open another business because I can' stand dealing with people who complain, hurt themselves on purpose and I have to pay for everything. Right now I know five people, black/white trash that are on disability, and each guy is fine... and he takes pride that he's screwing the system.

Now the sad part is look at the younger generation, the kids in America under 25... and what do you see?

Three words: God help us.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:35 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
American workers, teamsters, unions, etc; they all complain, bit*h and moan... it never tops. I'm a business owner/entrepreneur.... ask yourself this; other than it's way cheaper to move your business to Mexico, Colombia, Asia; but Colombians, Mexicans never complain and they take great pride in their work, always to showing up for work every time.

Question: Have any of you folks spent anytime abroad? Colombia, Mexico or China? I’m not referring to the annual two week vacation with the wife and kids… how about living there for 6 months? And why don’t we? Because we might learn something about work ethics.

In America, last 15 years, workers complain about everything. Frankly, I'll never open another business because I can' stand dealing with people who complain, hurt themselves on purpose and I have to pay for everything. Right now I know five people, black/white trash that are on disability, and each guy is fine... and he takes pride that he's screwing the system.

Now the sad part is look at the younger generation, the kids in America under 25... and what do you see?

So are you saying Americans should be more like Mexican workers,lol. We are so sorry your business can not exploit more workers.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:55 PM

268 posts, read 900,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
So are you saying Americans should be more like Mexican workers,lol. We are so sorry your business can not exploit more workers.
Hello Mr. DailyJournalist -

I respect your opinion, now if you will allow me to add yet another comment; who do you think maintains all those beautiful lawns in Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Brentwood and Pacific Palisades (California)? Are they American men and women? Wrong... all Mexican crews and they do a BANG UP JOB.

Now Mr. DJ, go write that up in your daily column sir.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
If you think the workers are bad in FL, try Michigan they spend more time whining and put more effort into getting out of work than doing the job itself. Why do you think MI has the highest unemployment and the Big 3 are in trouble. These rejects up here aren't worth $6 an hour let alone $16. Hell, at least in FL the cable guy will fish the line through a wall or at least tack it up on the wall, some girl installed my cable up here and left the wire on the floor right across a room opening.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:51 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post

So if you don't like it, go to T.J. and start a business...

I am the younger generation, 25 years old, I'm begging for work but there is none. anywhere.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I agree with you and the others who have brought up terrible employers. I was relatively lucky for many years, I guess, because when I moved here I had a series of jobs in two years- makes for a wild resume..... I was management in three of the jobs, so brought up ideas to involve operational staff in decision-making- O...M...G... QUESTION THE GREAT OZ?????? Silly me to think that EVERYONE who has a hand in making the widgets has something to contribute to making a better widget.

Another thing that I noticed was that they had to approve everything. I think the best managers push decision making as far down the org chart as possible. Gives employees a sense of ownership and more job satisfaction.

The biggest motivator was when the budget had to be cut at one of the places. Ummmm... maybe let everyone know and ask for ideas on ways to work smarter or cut costs? Oh, nooooooooo....what did I know?! They cut out the free coffee at this place that had three shifts with many workers getting paid under $10 an hour, while the head made over 100k a year.

Many Florida employers come from the school of thought that the flogging will continue until morale improves. I finally changed professions to one I had toyed with for many years, but always felt I had to much to lose to make the leap. After working in Jax for the past few years - I was ready to leap- without a net- off the top of a tall building!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:43 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
So if you don't like it, go to T.J. and start a business...

I am the younger generation, 25 years old, I'm begging for work but there is none. anywhere.
This is laughable...advice from someone who walked away from a job at Publix because you know the letter of the law and a minor isn't to work after 10:00 PM. Then complained because they wouldn't rehire you. Truth is: you didn't want to work and that work ethic has taken root. Keep complaining...it's endearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida