Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 10:15 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
Ya know, throughout this all, I think I was fundamentally trying to be very sensitive to the fact that I was applying for a job in FL and that I was from NJ. I mean, I know NJ people have a reputation for being a bit, shall we say, abrasive. (Not me tho!!! - but then again, I am originally from Delaware). I did not want to be all the things (or characteristics) that are stereotypical of NJ folks. So I was treading lightly and gently. AND, I was taking into account the thought that Floridians, in general, move at a slightly slower pace. BUT THIS IS NOT THE "SLOWSKIES" TURTLE COMMERCIAL!!! This is my life! ok, now that i got that out of my system.....
Nancy, I know about how people from NJ and NY are stereotyped and it's kind of sad. I don't know many of them, but one of my dearest internet friends is from NJ and we had the chance to spend a week with them last summer when they came out to see us. We had a fantastic time and we didn't think they were abrasive at all. They were very nice. I also have a neice who is a NY transplant and she loves it there. She's always had a "strong" personality so she feels she fits in well there. Maybe the people from there have just learned to be more open and speak their minds more then people in other parts of the country??? I don't really know, but please don't let someone trample over you just for fear that you'll come across as abrasive when you'd only be standing up for yourself because you don't appear to be that way at all. Are you aware of any other jobs in your field that are hiring in Fla? You may want to consider trying some place else if they don't make a move now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 10:29 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,696 times
Nancy Lynne, could it be that because you were passed around to so many people for interviews, the one who made the most recent "offer" just assumed that salary was discussed earlier in the process?

What would stop you from contacting someone to ask for that vital information?

Just phone or even send an email saying something like, "By the way, no one has told me the salary range for this position and before I can make the decision to accept this job, I need to know what it pays. Thank you."

Old 03-10-2007, 10:34 AM

523 posts, read 2,830,147 times
I would do some research and google this company complaints, I am afraid for you to take this job.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:10 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Hi, Nancy. Sorry I haven't checked in...been busy with the moving sale (which went well, BTW). Here you go again, huh? Man, what do I say? Do what your heart says, girl, but it sounds like you need to nail them down. I think I said this before, but just in case I didn't....if they're treating you like this now, during the "honeymoon", how will you be treated after you're hired?

Hang in there. Show them those "coconuts" and pour me one of those margaritas, ok?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:13 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
Nancy Lynne, could it be that because you were passed around to so many people for interviews, the one who made the most recent "offer" just assumed that salary was discussed earlier in the process?

What would stop you from contacting someone to ask for that vital information?

Just phone or even send an email saying something like, "By the way, no one has told me the salary range for this position and before I can make the decision to accept this job, I need to know what it pays. Thank you."
Ya know, that really makes sense. It could have been an oversight.

When you call you could ask for something in writing so that you will have something to use to verify income in finding a place to rent.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:15 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
Nancy Lynne - please do me a favor and send me a private message with the name of the company. I have worked with a great many or know people who have worked with a great may and their respctive experiences.

Take care...

Last edited by jhlcomp; 03-10-2007 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-10-2007, 06:05 PM

317 posts, read 1,229,562 times
Default My new FLORIDA COCONUTS! LOL!

You guys are so funny! Oh, I laughed so hard my face hurts!!
I never heard that before....about the FLORIDA COCONUTS...but I can assure you, it will now be part of my standard vocabulary!

I'm OK about it now. I'll tell ya this, you all say the same thing. Hmmmm. Now, That DOES tell me something.

I had been hidin' my coconuts! The ball is in my court now, or not at all. No more games.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:21 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,248 times
Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
You guys are so funny! Oh, I laughed so hard my face hurts!!
I never heard that before....about the FLORIDA COCONUTS...but I can assure you, it will now be part of my standard vocabulary!

I'm OK about it now. I'll tell ya this, you all say the same thing. Hmmmm. Now, That DOES tell me something.

I had been hidin' my coconuts! The ball is in my court now, or not at all. No more games.
Right . . . don't start making trade-offs of who you are. It is way too early in the relocation game and the start of your new life to do that. You deserve the best that you can get. Now, go out there and get it!

Old 03-10-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Ya know, that really makes sense. It could have been an oversight.

When you call you could ask for something in writing so that you will have something to use to verify income in finding a place to rent.
Well, here is the sceanario. The job is a marketing job reporting into the marketing department. The company is a software company. Therefore, there are many different software solutions to be a "marketing manager" for. For example, one could be a marketing manager for Systems Integration solutions, or one could be a marketing manager for Network Management solutions, etc. Even though all of the marketing jobs report into the marketing department, the job "supports" the product management/development VPs, although the position does not report directly into them. So (ahh..this is getting boring for me so I know it is for you! ) -- the 1st job they originaly wanted me for...ended up being taken by the manager who is "supposedly" hiring me. So, he said I would be good in one of the product categories he was giving up in order to take the one I originally interviewed and applied for. So, fine. Then I interviewed with two new VPs who oversee the product category for job opp#2. Interviews went great, in fact, I really liked those two gentlemen. Then, I get an email saying that the interviews went so well, they would like me to consider yet another, more important, higher priority product group....hence, two more interviews next week with two more VPs.

I get the feeling that the VPs really liked me and talked about me to other VPs and the CEO of the company. I also get the feeling that my "so called reporting-to-manager" is just really weird.

Wanna laugh??????????????

Ya know that feeling when you talk to someone on the phone and there is always a TON OF SILENCE????? I mean....how uncomfortable is that???!!!! Oh, I'm laughing again....last conversation, at one point I said, "Are you still there"?????

He said, "Ugghhh, yes, I am." Then....there was silence again...

Now that's hard for a fast-talking Njerseyan like me to keep quiet during all that silence!

Old 03-10-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar View Post
Hi Nancy,

We lived in Fort Myers for 12 years before moving to the Nashville,TN area and glad we did. The thing you must think about if you did take a job with this company (don't know why you would want to) and it did not work out, you could find yourself in a mess as Fort Myers/Naples do not have a lot of good paying professional jobs in the area to choose from. You could find yourself looking at very poor paying jobs. From what you have mentioned here I would not want to move all the way from NJ to Naples just for this company. I think it would be a big mistake for you.
kar - you are right on. There are absolutely no other tech companies in the area except this one. If it doesn't work, I am toast! Thanks to all the insight and feedback I have received on here....my eyes are now wide open, instead of what I have been doing thru this....sleepwalkin!

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida