Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:48 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
So you want people that are born in America to not be Americans?
You just prove to me something. Everyone else understood but you for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 07:22 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I think what we need to change is for people to have more information available to them so they wont make a mistake and move to Florida and then sit around for months on end blaming the state for their poor choices of towns, jobs or lifestyle.
Central Ohio has its own sprawl areas but you know what, I avoid them and they do not bother me. I pay attention to my surroundings in my own neighborhood and not some area 25+ miles away from me that has no bearing on my life whatsoever.
Guess if you are out looking for that kind of stuff to give you a reason to move then you get what you paid for I would say.
Someone needs to put more emphasis on either how to improve Florida or find ways to move out of Florida sooner to make room for people who would be an asset to the state instead of a hindrance.
I agree with you that people need good information to make informed decisions, but you say you don't pay attention to anything that goes on beyond 25 miles is an example of where I posted in another thread that those who are happiest here are probably the ones who don't live in, near, or around the problem areas.

But the problems just don't stem in residential areas, it's on the roads, which is one of my biggest gripes, getting to and from someplace can be stressful. My wife has anxiety just driving around here.

I interpret the last part of your statement as a back-handed slap, as again, the people who are complaining (which may include educated working professionals like me), again in my opinion, are not the hindrances, but are the ones who wanted to have a good life down here but instead turned sour, so they got dis-illusioned and yes, they will be moving elsewhere as I will. But we can't just pick up and go, some of us have kids that have to finish school, and sell homes, then find jobs back where we want to go, but that doesn't happen overnight.

I also stated in another post that the complainers aren't the problem people, it's the ones who are staying. In another post I said families from NYC have sold their near-million dollar brownstones to slap down cash for a huge house here in FL. These folks came from the city and their kids, who don't appreciate the move their parents made, deface their own neighborhoods with graffiti because it was the thing to do when they lived in the Bronx. It's a cultural problem as well as a parenting problem.

And you say "someone" has to put emphasis to improve Florida or find ways to move out of Florida sooner. Well, who is that "someone" who's going to improve the situation? As far as those who want to move out of FL, well, I believe they are making plans to do so (that's how they chose to improve their situation). Just because the complainers, or the hindrances as you call them, leave, there will still be problems that remain. What will you do about improving the situation in FL as a FL resident instead of complaining about the complainers on a message board, considering you don't want to have anything to do beyond 25 miles which has no bearing on your life whatsoever? Are you waiting on people who actually move here to become "assets" to improve the situation? Why rely on that?

Last edited by ngrome; 02-05-2009 at 08:10 AM..

Old 02-06-2009, 12:33 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
I agree with you that people need good information to make informed decisions, but you say you don't pay attention to anything that goes on beyond 25 miles is an example of where I posted in another thread that those who are happiest here are probably the ones who don't live in, near, or around the problem areas.

But the problems just don't stem in residential areas, it's on the roads, which is one of my biggest gripes, getting to and from someplace can be stressful. My wife has anxiety just driving around here.

I interpret the last part of your statement as a back-handed slap, as again, the people who are complaining (which may include educated working professionals like me), again in my opinion, are not the hindrances, but are the ones who wanted to have a good life down here but instead turned sour, so they got dis-illusioned and yes, they will be moving elsewhere as I will. But we can't just pick up and go, some of us have kids that have to finish school, and sell homes, then find jobs back where we want to go, but that doesn't happen overnight.

I also stated in another post that the complainers aren't the problem people, it's the ones who are staying. In another post I said families from NYC have sold their near-million dollar brownstones to slap down cash for a huge house here in FL. These folks came from the city and their kids, who don't appreciate the move their parents made, deface their own neighborhoods with graffiti because it was the thing to do when they lived in the Bronx. It's a cultural problem as well as a parenting problem.

And you say "someone" has to put emphasis to improve Florida or find ways to move out of Florida sooner. Well, who is that "someone" who's going to improve the situation? As far as those who want to move out of FL, well, I believe they are making plans to do so (that's how they chose to improve their situation). Just because the complainers, or the hindrances as you call them, leave, there will still be problems that remain. What will you do about improving the situation in FL as a FL resident instead of complaining about the complainers on a message board, considering you don't want to have anything to do beyond 25 miles which has no bearing on your life whatsoever? Are you waiting on people who actually move here to become "assets" to improve the situation? Why rely on that?
I can do many things to improve things right from my home. I was able to fix several things at my kids school from my laptop by sending a message to the school board. Just an idea.

I did not say I only wanted to live in my area, I love Florida and will be traveling all over it when I get there. Those who have issues with other parts then where they live need to stay within their little world and not worry about what is going on 3 cities away. How can someone in Clermont complain all the time about things going on in Kissimmee? See what I mean?

People will bring Florida new ideas and ways to change things. It is people like you who are saying it is not working so why not listen to others?

People can make a difference. If it is not working and those people who live their belief it wont get fixed then they did nothing to fix it then did they?

How do you know you wont have the same issues in your next town?

You mentioned highly educated, well I can tell you from experience working with many highly educated people, they are not as smart as you would think. My boss has so many degrees and brags about them all the time yet is a total fool. Make mistakes daily that cost the company tons of money when someone with no education would not be making those mistakes and poor decisions.

Just because you have a great education does not make you smarter, even stupid people can earn a degree, all it takes is work. In the end, all you have is a piece of paper on the wall, it doesnt tell you if you were a total D student or an A student.

Personally I have two sisters with masters and they are two of the most stuck up people you will ever see because of those masters degree, sorry to tell you both of them together cannot make a decent decision if it kills them. Someone forgot to teach them that the degree got them nothing but fat paychecks and a free ride to the top.

So if you are saying even educated people made the move to Florida to only find out they made a mistake tells me exactly what I am saying. Even those people make poor choices, did not do their research as they were taught in college, or allowed their hearts to make the choice and did not use their brains.

I spoke with someone last night on the phone who moved to Florida from Indiana last summer, I asked them to come to this board and read some of the post about Florida and Ft Meyers, the area they moved to.
They were totally shocked of how people here see things differently.
They told me they see nothing in Ft Myers that is posted here to be correct.
They love it in Ft Myers, made the right choice and told me if they would have listened to some of these post they would have never moved to Ft Myers based on all the negativity posted here.

Nothing against particular people but my goodness if it is as bad there as many post then no one would be living in Florida. Remember it is just as bad or worse someplace else and some will find that out real quick.

Florida may not be perfect but it sure beats many of the areas some people post they are leaving Florida to move to.

I have read the post about who left Florida and have moved back, its an old post but there are tons of people who left Florida and now moved back.

Everyone has an opinion and for me I just do not understand how people cannot realize that is it not Florida that caused them to make their choices.

Seems the trend is to blame others for the ills of their life, blame the state, the people, the new people, the heat, the crime, blame the government, the wildlife, the taxes and the list goes on and on of reasons I have read here.

NO--- If you moved to Florida and you are not happy their then it is YOUR FAULT and no one else's. You either picked the wrong town, home, school, or whatever but you could not have done your homework or you would not have made the wrong choice.

I understand it takes time to get ready to move, I am in that process right now, but I can tell you when I do move, we will make sure we do all the things many did not do in picking the town that fits us.

I read a post here last night about someone who lived in Florida and moved to the New England states, then hated it and moved back to Florida, now I see they are back in New England.

Perfect example of someone who blamed Florida's people, jobs, life, etc when it is very easy to know they are the problem.

I made a mistake and I know it, I should have stayed in Florida 20+ years ago. My fault, my mistake and I believe we have paid for it by not being in Florida. No one else's fault but mine.

It is a shame for people to post that they are unhappy and blame everything under he sun except for the person doing the typing.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:01 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Sunny, I posted on another thread that the only reason I came here, again (lived here 30 years ago), was because my husband got a job here. I did not want to divorce my husband of 35 years. Plus, we are nearing retirement age. We will move back then. Yes, he likes Florida more than I do because he likes warm weather outdoor activities more than me (golf, biking), but he also misses the culture of NYC where we are from. He has said he wouldn't mind be a snowbird. Not me. If we are able to keep one of the places we own here (house and condo) and I will stay up north when he snowbird's in Florida. MAYBE I might be talked into a week or two vacation here, but that is about it. I like Fall and Winter much more than summer.

I suppose I just plain don't fit the preconceived profile of a malcontent Florida resident.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:05 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I can do many things to improve things right from my home. I was able to fix several things at my kids school from my laptop by sending a message to the school board. Just an idea.

I did not say I only wanted to live in my area, I love Florida and will be traveling all over it when I get there. Those who have issues with other parts then where they live need to stay within their little world and not worry about what is going on 3 cities away. How can someone in Clermont complain all the time about things going on in Kissimmee? See what I mean?

People will bring Florida new ideas and ways to change things. It is people like you who are saying it is not working so why not listen to others?

People can make a difference. If it is not working and those people who live their belief it wont get fixed then they did nothing to fix it then did they?

How do you know you wont have the same issues in your next town?

You mentioned highly educated, well I can tell you from experience working with many highly educated people, they are not as smart as you would think. My boss has so many degrees and brags about them all the time yet is a total fool. Make mistakes daily that cost the company tons of money when someone with no education would not be making those mistakes and poor decisions.

Just because you have a great education does not make you smarter, even stupid people can earn a degree, all it takes is work. In the end, all you have is a piece of paper on the wall, it doesnt tell you if you were a total D student or an A student.

Personally I have two sisters with masters and they are two of the most stuck up people you will ever see because of those masters degree, sorry to tell you both of them together cannot make a decent decision if it kills them. Someone forgot to teach them that the degree got them nothing but fat paychecks and a free ride to the top.

So if you are saying even educated people made the move to Florida to only find out they made a mistake tells me exactly what I am saying. Even those people make poor choices, did not do their research as they were taught in college, or allowed their hearts to make the choice and did not use their brains.

I spoke with someone last night on the phone who moved to Florida from Indiana last summer, I asked them to come to this board and read some of the post about Florida and Ft Meyers, the area they moved to.
They were totally shocked of how people here see things differently.
They told me they see nothing in Ft Myers that is posted here to be correct.
They love it in Ft Myers, made the right choice and told me if they would have listened to some of these post they would have never moved to Ft Myers based on all the negativity posted here.

Nothing against particular people but my goodness if it is as bad there as many post then no one would be living in Florida. Remember it is just as bad or worse someplace else and some will find that out real quick.

Florida may not be perfect but it sure beats many of the areas some people post they are leaving Florida to move to.

I have read the post about who left Florida and have moved back, its an old post but there are tons of people who left Florida and now moved back.

Everyone has an opinion and for me I just do not understand how people cannot realize that is it not Florida that caused them to make their choices.

Seems the trend is to blame others for the ills of their life, blame the state, the people, the new people, the heat, the crime, blame the government, the wildlife, the taxes and the list goes on and on of reasons I have read here.

NO--- If you moved to Florida and you are not happy their then it is YOUR FAULT and no one else's. You either picked the wrong town, home, school, or whatever but you could not have done your homework or you would not have made the wrong choice.

I understand it takes time to get ready to move, I am in that process right now, but I can tell you when I do move, we will make sure we do all the things many did not do in picking the town that fits us.

I read a post here last night about someone who lived in Florida and moved to the New England states, then hated it and moved back to Florida, now I see they are back in New England.

Perfect example of someone who blamed Florida's people, jobs, life, etc when it is very easy to know they are the problem.

I made a mistake and I know it, I should have stayed in Florida 20+ years ago. My fault, my mistake and I believe we have paid for it by not being in Florida. No one else's fault but mine.

It is a shame for people to post that they are unhappy and blame everything under he sun except for the person doing the typing.
You look at my posts and see where exactly did I blame anyone for moving to FL? Again, don't generalize. I did say many things about what I don't like about FL, but there's one thing we agree with, some people made a mistake about moving down here, and I blame no one but myself. But I wouldn't call it a total mistake, we had some good times down here too and we benefited from living down here several years. Again, if you look at my posts, I mainly stated what I didn't like what became of FL (where I am at in FL). If I didn't try and gut it out down here, you think I would have lasted at least 10 years? I appreciate your lengthy response to mine, shows you're really willing to make discussion, but I think you could've save your breath, or some keystrokes.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Sunny, I posted on another thread that the only reason I came here, again (lived here 30 years ago), was because my husband got a job here. I did not want to divorce my husband of 35 years. Plus, we are nearing retirement age. We will move back then. Yes, he likes Florida more than I do because he likes warm weather outdoor activities more than me (golf, biking), but he also misses the culture of NYC where we are from. He has said he wouldn't mind be a snowbird. Not me. If we are able to keep one of the places we own here (house and condo) and I will stay up north when he snowbird's in Florida. MAYBE I might be talked into a week or two vacation here, but that is about it. I like Fall and Winter much more than summer.

I suppose I just plain don't fit the preconceived profile of a malcontent Florida resident.
What exactly IS the "preconceived profile of a malcontent Florida resident"? I've never "met" anyone like you before, so I'm wondering what the typical profile of someone like you is.
mrs.cool

Old 02-07-2009, 05:08 AM

944 posts, read 3,847,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
MAYBE I might be talked into a week or two vacation here, but that is about it. I like Fall and Winter much more than summer. I suppose I just plain don't fit the preconceived profile of a malcontent Florida resident.
You rock. We "miserable" people need to tick together.

Anywho, banning second homes in the state would address nearly all the problems already listed.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:36 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default They move here with stars in their eyes,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
What exactly IS the "preconceived profile of a malcontent Florida resident"? I've never "met" anyone like you before, so I'm wondering what the typical profile of someone like you is.
mrs.cool
99.9% for the weather, and then discover living here is not like a vacation. I lived here before, didn't come here for the weather then, didn't like it, and moved back for 30 years. I didn't come back because I missed it or changed my mind.

I have yet to meet anyone else with those experiences.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:43 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,951 times
I didn't come here for the weather either. I am not the out doorsy type.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:48 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,812 times
A lower cost of living & better economy in FL would be nice, but really the economy sucks everywhere nowadays. One of the big reasons I want to come to Florida is because of the weather, but I have a good reason for that. I have pretty severe seasonal affective disorder & have to be on antidepressants for about 7 months out of the year. Some days it can get so bad that I can hardly get out of bed & get on with my day. It definitely puts a damper on my lifestyle. Yes, spring will be here soon and that's great, but the misery starts all over again in November. /end rant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida