Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 03:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Who said anything about being "rich"? Any guy who carries a 'lunch box' to work, is FAR from being "rich"! But, making a 'good' buc, he certainly did (at the time). What year did he die?

What did a house in Queens cost back in the mid 80's? 75-80-85 grand? That same house would sell for 750 grand or better now! Who's salary has gone up 10-fold since the mid 80's? Nobody's, except for the CEO's!

You can't compare NYC back in the 80's with today, just can't do it! NYC has always been expensive, but not like it is today! 9 bucs for a pack of smokes, etc etc! NYC had more of a middle class base years ago, compared with the NYC of today.
on LI for $275,000. My 2 bedroom house in Naples cost $285,000 last year. I guess all that SUNSHINE costs more.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:15 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well obviously it isn't anything like visiting out of the country.

I get plenty of culture here--about 10 different ethnic restaurants from different parts of the world within walking distance, meeting people from all over the world, etc. Can't get that in Florida.

You clearly aren't very travelled in Florida (or elsewhere). In West Palm Beach alone I can have my pick tonight, in just a few blocks square, of Greek, Italian, Cuban, Mexican, Middle Eastern, Chinese, or French. Within a couple miles I can expand my choices to Indian and British, African American (Southern Soul Food), Guatemalan, Dominican, and Southern Barbecue.

Why do so many people from New York have such a hard time believing that people aren't jealous of their living in New York?

Old 03-16-2009, 03:17 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
on LI for $275,000. My 2 bedroom house in Naples cost $285,000 last year. I guess all that SUNSHINE costs more.
No. NAPLES cost more. You can't touch a 2 bedroom shack on Palm Beach for less than $750k, but in other parts of Florida, 750k will buy you dozens of acres and an estate.

4 bedroom for 275k on LI? Must have been a foreclosure or short sale, or in need of major gutting. Realtor.com has only 10 listings for 4 bedroom houses in Levittown, New York in that price range, and they sure aint lookers!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:17 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You clearly aren't very travelled in Florida (or elsewhere). In West Palm Beach alone I can have my pick tonight, in just a few blocks square, of Greek, Italian, Cuban, Mexican, Middle Eastern, Chinese, or French. Within a couple miles I can expand my choices to Indian and British, African American (Southern Soul Food), Guatemalan, Dominican, and Southern Barbecue.

Why do so many people from New York have such a hard time believing that people aren't jealous of their living in New York?

lol that's the funniest thing i've heard in a while. WPB offers as much as NYC?!?! Then how come the population of city limits isn't around 4,5 million?

Find me a durian in the off-season in WPB and I may believe it comes close. Doesn't count if it's grown there. Only ones imported.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:18 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,312 times
Quote:
move to a SUBURB of NYC; LI, Westchester, or NJ. That way they can have their kids grow up riding bikes, playing sports, etc., but still be close enough to have them also experience NYC. Frankly, I think it is more the PARENTS, who are thinking what THEY LIKE, who move down here with their kids. They simply don't have the education to get the kind of jobs which it requires to live in these places.

Many posters are even said these if you read between the lines. They cannot afford to live there. Then they get the shock of their lives when they find out they either cannot get a job here, or it pays next to nothing, and that the cost of living in sunshine is just not as CHEAP as they thought it would be.
Besides the housing prices in LI, the property taxes alone could EASILY exceed 10 grand a year, and that's for the most MODEST home there! Again, being "pratical" is ALOT different!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Besides the housing prices in LI, the property taxes alone could EASILY exceed 10 grand a year, and that's for the most MODEST home there! Again, being "pratical" is ALOT different!

The house I bought is in mint condition and a 4 bedroom house in a nice town with very good schools. Taxes are 8000. Other areas of the county are lower.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I don't get your point?.... Naples, is a pretty upscale little town by the way (especially the beachfront). Drive north a few miles up to Ft. Myers, and the property values drop way off (especially now).

Old 03-16-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
The house I bought is in mint condition and a 4 bedroom house in a nice town with very good schools. Taxes are 8000. Other areas of the county are lower.
I said "could EASILY exceed 10 grand". Didn't say that EVERY house on LI property taxes were OVER 10 grand! By the way, you think 8 grand a year is cheap for property taxes?.......

Old 03-16-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I said "could EASILY exceed 10 grand". Didn't say that EVERY house on LI property taxes were OVER 10 grand! By the way, you think 8 grand a year is cheap for property taxes?.......

I don't have a problem with it There's a reason why the property taxes are higher on LI. You get more services and better services. I'm sure my mom can agree since she owns a house in FL now and did a few years ago on LI. You know the saying, "you get what you pay for"

Old 03-16-2009, 03:29 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Yeah but you need to leave the country in order to do that. Why continously go out of the country when you can live in a major city where you have about 130 languages spoken within just your county? I know it's different leaving the country, but the average person cannot do that that often.
You can if you are not spending an arm and a leg on living expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida