Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:02 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Well, it's not really having to do with the we're better attitude. To me, it's just taking more time for FL to get caught up with a lot of things and the planning doesn't seem to be as well done.

As an example, this idea of the Sunpass and specifically, the widened Sunpass lanes. A lot of construction is going on for widened Sunpass lanes. That kind of construction was completed a couple years ago already in Illinois.

I contend that the gaps between tolls in FL are much closer together than they are in Illinois as well. And, in Illinois, you get 50% off for using an electronic transponder, not 10-20% off max like you do in FL, so not as much of a discount and they hit you with more tolls in between. Illinois I-pass transponders can be used in other states, EXCEPT Florida, while Florida transponders can only be used within FL.

The road infrastructure planning down here doesn't seem as bright either. Unused lanes that only last a mile or less just to merge back haphazardly. Criss crossing exchange lanes? See that on the 408 as you enter/exit the I4. It's improving, but should have been done right years ago.

There's supposed to be a new special on one of the local stations either tonight or this week on how funds are again being mis-directed rather than continue working on the roads. As soon as I get more details, I'll try and share that info.
I have to chuckle at the comparison of ANYTHING done right in Illinois after the Blago-debacle. But pertaining to the I system, Illinois's is not all that smooth, I've been so confused by the construction around the toll booths that i'm sure I blew through one just by being in the wrong lane. And they're plenty close together too.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:22 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
been reading some of the threads in the General US forum about" are people in the north jealous of Floridians" or something similiar and was wondering are Floridians jealous of people who live in the North?
Where up north? There's a whole lotta "up north" up there. And while I could probably manage a decent case of envy if we're talking about a nice litttle place in the Hamptons, I can't think of much to be jealous of vis-a-vis, say, Steubenville OH.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:26 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Why in the world would anyone living in Florida be jealous of anyone living in the north?

Goodness people, people in Florida actually have a life!

Unless you are an eskimo or love the cold, no way would anyone who lives in Florida be jealous of anyone in the north.

There is simply no reason to, other then if you like the cold and should not be in Florida anyway.

Since the midwest has changed far more in the last 20 years then Florida, there is no reason to stay here, the midwest used to be the powerhouse area for good paying jobs, but since our government decided we no longer need manufacturing jobs and sold us all out, there are no longer any jobs here or any reasons to stay.

Jobs is what brought people to the north and midwest, now jobs are the reason everyone is leaving, look at the maps folks, midwest is shrinking and southeast and southwest ae growing.

Why? Who does not want to enjoy life with the sun shining? If you are not going to find a job in the north that pays any money you might as well get the same type of job where the sun is shining.

If you like the gray skies and cold, then come on up, there is beginning to be plenty of room as the Midwest is falling apart at the seems.

The southeast is the new way of life, no matter what the naysayers have to say, the only reason people came to the midwest 30-40-50 years ago was because of the industrial good paying jobs. They are all about gone now, no reason to stay.

Both my parents and in laws were factory working families who made awesome money doing so, my dad was making 50k a year in the 1970's and retired in the early 90s making 90k in a factory, try to find a job like that in the midwest now, not going to happen. By they way, the factory he worked at is now a skeleton falling apart because of government decided it was ok to import crap from China and put out families out of work.

How crazy, people on Florida being jealous of what?????

If anything, I want what most of the Floridians have, A LIFE! without gray skies, ice, snow and expenses that go with it.

Give me the sun, sand, ocean and you can have this place.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:27 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I grew up near Boston, I could never live there again. I do miss Maine Lobster and such but when I see pictures of the winter, I know I am where I should be. I can't live like that anymore.

Have you checked the house prices in Mass recently?? I don't think you could say the cost of living is lower there then here in Florida. Not too mention that HUGE heating bill they have for several months in the winter.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:30 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Goodness people, people in Florida actually have a life!.
Maybe where you live up north people don't have a life, but every one I know that live in different large cities in the Northeast (NYC, Philly, Boston, etc) and in Chicago have very vibrant exciting lives and would not trade them for Florida. All of the North is NOT the same.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:46 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Maybe where you live up north people don't have a life, but every one I know that live in different large cities in the Northeast (NYC, Philly, Boston, etc) and in Chicago have very vibrant exciting lives and would not trade them for Florida. All of the North is NOT the same.
NO its not however all of FLORIDA isnt the same either, so it goes both ways...cause we are born and raised in brooklyn and if u arent a CITY person, or dont have the money to enjoy the shows and what NY has to offer sorry but its pretty boring and then we lived in NJ for 10 tears can u say BORING...at least in florida and Warm Climates people actually go out of their house...

Old 03-15-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Where up north? There's a whole lotta "up north" up there. And while I could probably manage a decent case of envy if we're talking about a nice litttle place in the Hamptons, I can't think of much to be jealous of vis-a-vis, say, Steubenville OH.
LOL !!

Yea let them take a drive up Rt 7 from Wheeling to Steubenville, the we will see who is jealous.

Or how about Rt 93 in Ohio from Logan to Shawnee, lets see what kind of jealous that would be.

What used be why so many people stayed in the north and midwest, those days are gone. Ohio steel mills and coal mine towns thrived, not any more.

This is what you will see in rural towns in Ohio, Pa and other states in the north, one town after another like this.

The town below, Shawnee, was a rich coal town early on, did well even into the 1980's, now look at it, trees growing through the downtown businesses.

What a shame. Jealous, what the heck for? NO REASON to stay anymore.

Life is better where the sun shines every day instead of seeing this along with the gray skies and snow.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww318/SunnyDays90/massillonsteelmill.jpg (broken link)

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww318/SunnyDays90/steelmillsohio.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You can post about those towns all you want, I have been in them all and no way in the world would I live near any of them.

Sure some people like it in those cities, but what you need to look at is why they like it?

This thread is about how people in Florida are jealous of those up north, there is not one single reason to be.

Just because you could not cope with life in Florida doesn't mean anyone.
You found out that you were just not cut out for Florida, thats all.

Truly I think you mind was made up before you went to Florida and nothing was ever going to change it.

But, again, even for you, there is nothing the north has anymore that appeals to people like it used to. Read above, the only reason the midwest was highly populated was jobs, not any more. Google trends of movements of people, then post back why everyone is flocking south!

Only those who could not cope with Florida want to come north, sure some come back for families etc, but other then that, no way would anyone in Florida be jealous of anyone around here unless you are NOT a sunshine state type of person to begin with.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
NO its not however all of FLORIDA isnt the same either, so it goes both ways...cause we are born and raised in brooklyn and if u arent a CITY person, or dont have the money to enjoy the shows and what NY has to offer sorry but its pretty boring and then we lived in NJ for 10 tears can u say BORING...at least in florida and Warm Climates people actually go out of their house...
+1 for you.

I live in a cul de sac and the people do not come out of there homes from late Oct to early May, not the kids, parents, adults etc.

Only to go to work and other places. What the heck kind of life is that?

I could bet that the only reason the majority of my neighbors are here is because they all have great paying jobs and or family, almost all of them head south to Florida, Hilton Head, Destin any chance they get.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:13 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I live in a cul de sac and the people do not come out of there homes from late Oct to early May, not the kids, parents, adults etc.
From your description the midwest sounds alot different than the Northeast. But then again I have been to Chicago many times in the dead of winter and everyone was out having a great time. The description of your cul de sac sounds like my old street in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida