Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:02 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My personal opinion is that most food is drastically over-spiced...
I really like Indian, Thai, and Middle Eastern cuisines so the term "over-spiced" isn't in my vocabulary .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 07:34 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Well I had time today to look at my Mountain Rose Herbs catalog, and they do indeed sell many organic spices. They also list the country of origin next to all of them! They had many uncommon spices and custom mixes. I will be ordering from them soon. https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

I highly recommend checking out their website and asking for the free paper catalog. It is truly wonderful. They also had a lot of nice small kitchen tools like spice grinders, tea and coffee accessories and other small items geared towards herbs, spices, cooking and nice things you cannot find in a normal store like glass coffee presses and handmade iron tea pots.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:29 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I really like Indian, Thai, and Middle Eastern cuisines so the term "over-spiced" isn't in my vocabulary .
I'm with you, although eating Indian food too often tends to overwhelm the palate with 10-12 different spices in every dish.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Great Information. I live near Penzey's and I also think their prices are way out of line. I have found the store staff to be remote, arrogant, unfriendly and lack knowledge of what they are selling. I do not need to go to a fancy store, with little shelves and displays that puts on airs", thinking that spices are only for the tony rich.

As you have suggested, I also buy my spices at the ethnic markets. I live near Chinese, Vietnamese, Laotian, Korean and Latino Markets and they have a good choice of spices in small packages or in larger sizes when I use more. The prices are much cheaper than the branded spices at the the chain groceries. These stores also have the patina of smells and odors that invite you to experience real authentic food.

Livecontent
Wow I don't find that to be the case at all. Penzeys is MUCH less expensive that our grocery store prices. And the staff are extremely friendly and knowledgeable.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:09 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My personal opinion is that most food is drastically over-spiced. With the exception of a little salt and pepper, my use of seasoning is very very limited. Yes, some dishes, such as chili, or spaghetti sauce need a little seasoning to taste the way it is supposed to, but for the most part, meats and many vegetables don't need anything. Nothing is worse than having a great cut of meat ruined by too much seasoning which hides the true flavor.

20yrsinBranson
I agree but not all spices just garlic, onion and Tabasco sauce.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:15 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If any of y'all live near Kroger stores, keep an eye out for the half-price spice sales.

Me, too. Herbs like dill, parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage etc. are so easy to grow and dry.
Yes they are, so are basil and oregano. I bought the plants like for $2-4 and they have lasted quite a while. I don't dry them though, I am too lazy for that and prefer the taste of fresh herbs.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:03 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
A terrific spice store for those looking for fresh options as well as some unique blends, including a big selection of salt-free rubs/blends is Savory Spice Shop. They're a chain with stores in several states or online sales as well. Their Cantanzaro Blend Cantanzaro Herbs (Salt-Free) - Spice Blends | Savory Spice Shop and Bohemian Forest Spice Rub Bohemian Forest European Style Seasoning (Salt-Free) - Spice Blends | Savory Spice Shop are my two fave salt-free options and are amazing!

Spices, Herbs & Seasonings Online | Savory Spice Shop

Old 03-01-2014, 06:24 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't have any that are 40 years old, but I've got some whole nutmeg that is at least 20 years old. Grate it fresh to use and it is as good as the new stuff.

Obviously, I don't use a lot of nutmeg to have a small bottle of nutmeg hanging around for so long.
Try a dash in mashed potatoes.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:31 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Speaking of online spice vendors...
Moroccan Spices, Argan Oil, Preserved Lemons, Harissa, Ras el Hanout, Zahtar and other ethnic gourmet seasonings

Someone on this forum suggested them to me about a year ago. They are not that cheap but I've been very happy with them for hard-to-find spices and blends.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:39 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
We have a small herb garden outside the kitchen with the bare necessities - rosemary, thyme, oregano , mayoran, lemon grass, sage, lavender. Several varieties of chives, parsley, basil, cat nip, mint, lemon balm and seasonals such as cilantro, green onions are in the back. Peppers as SO's department. The bay tree lives in a pot:>) We grow what the Texas climate allows. The rest we have to buy. As I share nothing gets old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink