Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times

Advertisements

You're just not used to eating good food.....it's not your fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:26 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
It's ground dried corn. However, how it's cooked and served makes all the difference in the world in how it tastes.

It needs plenty of butter. I have tasted grits that were terrible.... like warmed over library paste.... I don't like it with anything except soft fried eggs.

Down South, they didn't have potatoes as it was too hot to grow them well. Then, they rotted very quickly. So, as a starch, it was either grits or rice. And not everywhere grew rice.

Don't worry about it. Skip the grits, a lot of Southerners so. And for heavens sake....don't let anyone talk you into a dish of shrimp and grits. Yuck!! Shrimp and rice is OK, but not grits.

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
I've heard of grits and always wondered what it was, so I looked it up. It's a dish of Native American origin, made from ground corn. We have it here in NM, but it's called hominy (I think), and there's another local Native American name for it. And the consistency here in the SW is completely different, it's not a porridge, it's thicker. Wikipedia likens it to Italian polenta, and says there are variations common world-wide. Come to think of it, I remember friends from Zimbabwe being fond of it, and calling it "sadza". It seems to be a cheap staple. Wiki says in the Southern US it's served for breakfast, kind of like oatmeal or any porridge. In other parts of the world, though, (and here in the SW) it's served for lunch or dinner as a side dish, like we have mashed potatoes.

I don't know about moving somewhere, but I could tell you stories about visiting places and being "honored" with special foods that I couldn't even bring myself to eat. There's some weird stuff out there.

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Oh I love grits.... Its a corn product. I don't know if you have ever had hominy, but it is the same, just ground up.

I eat them maybe twice a year and when I do it, I do it right!

Put some in a bowl and crumple bacon up in it and eggs and yes, bacon grease. Stir it up and omg. Oh.. butter too...
Bacon (grease too), eggs and grits...my mouth is watering!!!!!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times
I like grits with Maple syrup on top!! My dad ate them this way so I do too!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:31 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I like grits with Maple syrup on top!! My dad ate them this way so I do too!

^^^^ I'm gonna have them that way by tomorrow mornin' to try it out! Thanks!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:34 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It's ground dried corn. However, how it's cooked and served makes all the difference in the world in how it tastes.

It needs plenty of butter. I have tasted grits that were terrible.... like warmed over library paste.... I don't like it with anything except soft fried eggs.

Down South, they didn't have potatoes as it was too hot to grow them well. Then, they rotted very quickly. So, as a starch, it was either grits or rice. And not everywhere grew rice.

Don't worry about it. Skip the grits, a lot of Southerners so. And for heavens sake....don't let anyone talk you into a dish of shrimp and grits. Yuck!! Shrimp and rice is OK, but not grits.

Thanks for the explanation, I had never heard that before.

Since potatoes are now widely available why would anyone ever eat grits??

Old 08-06-2012, 01:34 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Oh I love grits.... Its a corn product. I don't know if you have ever had hominy, but it is the same, just ground up.

I eat them maybe twice a year and when I do it, I do it right!

Put some in a bowl and crumple bacon up in it and eggs and yes, bacon grease. Stir it up and omg. Oh.. butter too...
Lol this post made me rethink if I wanted grits again or not (I love bacon - who doesn't?). I've also never heard of hominy, but if it's anything like the gritz I had down here, I'll pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
The first (and last) time I had grits was on a brunch buffet, and I thought it was mashed potatoes, especially since there was a pat of melting butter on top.

I nearly spit them onto my plate when I put a big bite in my mouth.
I had it at a brunch buffet too! It did look like mashed potatoes now that I think of it, but it was more watery and...yellowish. At least I'm not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
You're just not used to eating good food.....it's not your fault.
At least missik999 has my back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Interesting info. I love shrimp, but I just don't think I can do the grits thing again. I love my shrimp fried rice from PF Chang's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've heard of grits and always wondered what it was, so I looked it up. It's a dish of Native American origin, made from ground corn. We have it here in NM, but it's called hominy (I think), and there's another local Native American name for it. And the consistency here in the SW is completely different, it's not a porridge, it's thicker. Wikipedia likens it to Italian polenta, and says there are variations common world-wide. Come to think of it, I remember friends from Zimbabwe being fond of it, and calling it "sadza". It seems to be a cheap staple. Wiki says in the Southern US it's served for breakfast, kind of like oatmeal or any porridge. In other parts of the world, though, (and here in the SW) it's served for lunch or dinner as a side dish, like we have mashed potatoes.

I don't know about moving somewhere, but I could tell you stories about visiting places and being "honored" with special foods that I couldn't even bring myself to eat. There's some weird stuff out there.
At least oatmeal tastes better than what I tasted. That's funny that it's of Native American origin as I'm Native American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Bacon (grease too), eggs and grits...my mouth is watering!!!!!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:37 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Since potatoes are now widely available why would anyone ever eat grits??
Now that's a solid question!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:39 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
It's just another great corn product! Never buy instant! It takes butter and cheese and liberal salt to complete. Then it is hard to beat ! Great stuff and I love it. My brother would make it for me as a child.

Quote:
Have you ever moved somewhere and tried something you've never heard of/knew existed?
I'm sure if I moved to Yankee land like NY I'd experience all sorts of new things. Likely to have your reaction to many of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink