Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,726,528 times

Advertisements

it is funny to me that peanut butter was singled out as some kind of processed evil food as it is usually sold in stores. works out well for the peanut butter companies though, they get to add natural versions to their line and overcharge people who fall for the fearmongering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,572,815 times
What Captain calls fear mongering, I would call educational.
The following is from 2009, but you gain an understanding of the "processing" involved. They add all this crap, so people can shave off 10 calories!

Quote:
Skippy, a brand owned by European food giant Unilever, has issued a recall of its "reduced fat" peanut butter products. Evidently, they have become tainted with salmonella -- an unhappy echo of the widespread 2009 salmonella outbreak from salmonella-tainted "peanut paste."
But the real scandal with Skippy® Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter Spread and Skippy® Reduced Fat Super Chunk Peanut Butter Spread isn't that some unwanted pathogen somehow found its way into the finished product. The problem is the stuff that Unilever quite intentionally injects into its "peanut butter spreads" -- and takes out.
What do I mean? Let's look at the ingredients list (which is the same for both the "creamy" and "super chunk" varieties):
Roasted Peanuts, Corn Syrup Solids, Sugar, Soy Protein, Salt, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Cottonseed, Soybean And Rapeseed) To Prevent Separation, Mono And Diglycerides, Minerals (Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferric Orthophosphate, Copper Sulfate), Vitamins (Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid)
The products deliver 180 calories per two-tablespoon serving, and 12 grams of fat.
Let's compare that to another widely available commercial product: Woodstock Organic Peanut Butter. According to its ingredients list, it contains just "Organic dry roasted unblanched peanuts and salt," with 190 calories per two-tablespoon serving and 15 grams of fat.
In other words, it's quite possible to mass-produce peanut butter without weighing it down with all manner of additives.
So what is Skippy doing here? Essentially, it's stripping out a quarter of the fat naturally found in peanut butter and replacing it with sweeteners, thickeners, and partially hydrogenated oil. In total calorie terms, the added sweeteners nearly offset the subtracted fat: the Skippy products have just 10 fewer calories per serving than does Woodstock's just-peanuts version.
The real scandal of ‘reduced-fat Skippy peanut butter spread’ isn’t the salmonella | Grist

Old 06-06-2011, 10:46 AM

the following is the nutritional facts and ingredients of your nice and cheap and delicious skippy peanut butter found in costco (not the natural version). its basically nuts, salt, sugar and some oils to prevent separation. there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. now you are talking about the reduced fat version, well i guess people have to figure out their priorities as far as nutrient breakdown and decide if its worth it. but ultimately, im sure the addition of those other ingrededients arent going to harm you.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 AM

41,979 posts, read 75,252,667 times
You do realize that all peanut butter is not "Skippy Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter Spread", don't you?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You do realize that all peanut butter is not "Skippy Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter Spread", don't you?
Of course. I am simply saying the less processing, and the fewer ingredients, the better. The term "natural" is quite misleading, it's on everything these days. Some folks are discriminatory in their purchases, some aren't. It's all about choice. I will pay more, for a cleaner version of the same product.
In particular, I try to avoid GMO ingredients, as much as possible. (corn, soy, canola etc,).
Why would people get angry, sarcastic, or defensive about a discussion of peanut butter? This is very strange.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Of course. I am simply saying the less processing, and the fewer ingredients, the better.
but thats not really true. even still, i think peanut butter has been targeted wrongly in the world of people who attack the evil processing of foods as not much is really being done with it.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
but thats not really true. even still, i think peanut butter has been targeted wrongly in the world of people who attack the evil processing of foods as not much is really being done with it.
I think this is a ridiculous argument. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I think this is a ridiculous argument. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I.
and i think its ridiculous for people to pay triple the price for organic peanut butter than regular skippy but people are entitled to waste their money and convince themselves they are eating healthier when they arent.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
and i think its ridiculous for people to pay triple the price for organic peanut butter than regular skippy but people are entitled to waste their money and convince themselves they are eating healthier when they arent.
I don't want to pay for the chemicals or additives, I just want the unadulterated product. Therefore, my money is better spent than yours. If I get a reaction to something, I can nail down what caused it. In your case, with all the processed foods, there is a gazillion ingredients that could have had an adverse effect. Artifical vs real food, that is what you are essentially arguing about.
Just read the labels, if your okay with the ingredients, and know what they are..........go for it. But don't tell others how to shop.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:08 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,141,442 times
Quote:
I don't want to pay for the chemicals or additives, I just want the unadulterated product. Therefore, my money is better spent than yours. If I get a reaction to something, I can nail down what caused it. In your case, with all the processed foods, there is a gazillion ingredients that could have had an adverse effect. Artifical vs real food, that is what you are essentially arguing about.
Just read the labels, if your okay with the ingredients, and know what they are..........go for it. But don't tell others how to shop.
I'd have to disagree with that. Anything grown underground, according to Consumer Reports, is a waste of money to buy in the "organic" form.
Myself, I prefer to have preservatives and such in my foods - they extend the shelf life greatly.
I'm not gonna die from buying/eating peanut butter.
LOL....my uncle used to buy eggs for over $6 a dozen....
People are so paranoid about eating perfectly good foods.
I think I'll go buy a pound of bacon tomorrow....and I don't care what the heck the pig was fed!
I do understand your motivation....but not everyone shares your beliefs.....nor do they mine!
Eat and be happy. I'll just get more in my belly than others.

Edit: You are much more likely to encounter mold in your peanut butter if you buy it with no preservatives in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink