Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did your taste in sweets ("sweet tooth") change with age?
I used to crave sweets/have a total sweet tooth as a kid, now I can't stand sweets/or at least don't like 'em very much. 10 9.90%
I liked sweets a lot more as a kid although I still like them now. 26 25.74%
Not really much of a change (I like or dislike sweets more or less as much as I did as a kid) 45 44.55%
I actually like sweets/sweet taste more now than as a kid! 20 19.80%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times

Advertisements

There is no toggle for "I never really had that much of a sweet tooth when I was a kid, either."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 06:26 PM

512 posts, read 948,444 times
My sweet tooth is here to stay, strong as ever!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:41 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,351 times
Nope, it has gotten worse over the years. I still crave candy bars, baked goods, doughnuts, and other pastries.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 PM

672 posts, read 2,114,547 times
The only thing I don't understand is how I was ever able to drink is Kool-aid! Good grief, it's so sweet! It makes my adult teeth ache. Yuck.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I didn't really care about dessert or ice cream or cookies growing up. Or even chocolate. But now I LOVE pie and moist cakes. I liked candy then and now.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
There seems to be a generalization (that is at least backed up by many people's experiences) that many people crave sweets as children but "grow out of it" and lose it or at least no longer feel it as strongly as an adult. Candy and sweets, such as Halloween snacks, might lose their appeal.

On the flip side, it may be related to why fruity or artificially sweet foods, candies and drinks are associated with childishness or what only kids like, and it seems drinks such as coffee or beer are said to be at first, bitter and distasteful if sipped by kids at a young age who grow up to like them as adults.

I don't know if there is reasonable medical/scientific study to prove this (people must have looked into it?) change of taste (buds?) perception.

However, like many trends, there are always exceptions.

Have you found this to be the case in your life? Or has your taste in sweets hardly changed? I have a twenty-something-year old friend who, if anything has actually gotten more of a sweet tooth now than he has as a kid!
We were never allowed sweets when we were young so I barely got to eat them at all, (exception being Halloween and Easter and whenever a friend let me have some of their sweets), and I did like them very much then.

As an adult, I like sweets much more.

Coffee and beer was bitter when I was young and is still bitter now. I don't drink coffee and I don't particularly enjoy the taste of beer. Or wine. Or champagne for that matter.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 PM

38,904 posts, read 22,900,003 times
No, I haven't lost my sweet tooth. I loved sweets as a child and I STILL love them as an adult, although I don't eat them as often.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:36 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Nothing tastes better to me than sweets when I'm depressed. That same Dove bar or slice of cakes tastes differently when I'm not depressed.

But, thanks be to God, all I have to do is read the newspaper every morning and find something to make me depressed!

Dove bar, where art thou?

So, no, I haven't lost my sweet tooth at I head for 62, and let's hope more depressing days are the way!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:05 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,729 times
I used to like super sweet foods, but now for example, I limit myself to occasional candy and gum, lightly frosted cakes or pie, and unsweetened tea/coffee and very few soda drinks. Overly sugary foods now make me feel kind of sick. I cant stand stuff with too much sugar anymore.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
I never had a sweet tooth even as a small child and still don't now. Possibly because I wasn't really allowed them except on rare occasions so never really got a taste for it. As a kid I would have always chosen my Great-Grand-Mother's fruits from her Orchard over candy any time. A ripe apricot was always more appealing to me than chocolate.

I could quite happily give up all desserts forever if I had to. I enjoy the occasional square of very Dark Chocolate and desserts like Souffles or Syllabubs but on the whole I much prefer savoury stuff. Lighter desserts are nice but I prefer cheese .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink