Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did your taste in sweets ("sweet tooth") change with age?
I used to crave sweets/have a total sweet tooth as a kid, now I can't stand sweets/or at least don't like 'em very much. 10 9.90%
I liked sweets a lot more as a kid although I still like them now. 26 25.74%
Not really much of a change (I like or dislike sweets more or less as much as I did as a kid) 45 44.55%
I actually like sweets/sweet taste more now than as a kid! 20 19.80%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times

Advertisements

While I do love a nice piece of cake, I've never had much of a sweet tooth. I was the kid who still had my Halloween candy months later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:42 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,190,947 times
No way.

I did not lose mine. It's going stronger than ever.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
There seems to be a generalization (that is at least backed up by many people's experiences) that many people crave sweets as children but "grow out of it" and lose it or at least no longer feel it as strongly as an adult. Candy and sweets, such as Halloween snacks, might lose their appeal.

On the flip side, it may be related to why fruity or artificially sweet foods, candies and drinks are associated with childishness or what only kids like, and it seems drinks such as coffee or beer are said to be at first, bitter and distasteful if sipped by kids at a young age who grow up to like them as adults.

I don't know if there is reasonable medical/scientific study to prove this (people must have looked into it?) change of taste (buds?) perception.

However, like many trends, there are always exceptions.

Have you found this to be the case in your life? Or has your taste in sweets hardly changed? I have a twenty-something-year old friend who, if anything has actually gotten more of a sweet tooth now than he has as a kid!

Old 07-07-2011, 12:22 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,004,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is no toggle for "I never really had that much of a sweet tooth when I was a kid, either."
Another vote.

I used to eat candy just because other people liked it so much. Never liked it that much. Same goes for cake.

Same today. My dessert is steak.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 PM

896 posts, read 1,855,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Another vote.

I used to eat candy just because other people liked it so much. Never liked it that much. Same goes for cake.

Same today. My dessert is steak.

Completely agree.

The only sweet thing that I eat semi-regularly is ice cream and some types of coffee drinks. And soda. Never have been a candy eater.

I rarely ever desire dessert. My idea of dessert is a second helping of whatever the main course was.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:12 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,993 times
I used to have a very strong sweet tooth as a kid. It frequently got me in trouble, both at home and at school, for "eating too much candy". Which didn't stop me. It only caused me to hoard them and eat them in secret, but I digress.

I ended up losing my sweet tooth entirely around age 14. I now prefer savory or spicy snacks over sweet snacks. Although I still enjoy a good dessert. Emphasis on "good"; meaning I'll eat an nice eclair or gelato, or even a classic red velvet cake. But most likely, I'd decline a banal buttercream frosting cake or mass-produced stuff like Hershey.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 12-01-2016 at 10:27 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 10:20 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,059,290 times
No, I did not lose them but I sure had a lot of them filled !

Old 12-01-2016, 12:18 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
I didn't think much about sweets as a kid, but in retrospect, I drank way too much soda. I didn't eat much in the way of sweets, though, until I quit drinking when I was 31. I already loved to cook, and I found myself making cakes all the time. I don't do that any more. I even gave away my KitchenAid. If there were no consequences, I could eat cake every day. Ice cream, too.

Oh, and the only carbonated thing I drink now is San Pellegrino. Otherwise, it's unsweetened tea or coffee.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:26 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
What are you talking about??? I never grew up. I still want my Clark bar, Zagnut, and 5th Avenue bar. I think I'll go grab a couple of hot Krispy Kreme donuts too.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:22 PM

811 posts, read 1,148,552 times
Yes. Don't get me wrong, I crave a Snickers bar or a chocolate chip cookie every now and then (and I do love donuts^^^ ), but most of the time, while my husband is craving ice cream after dinner, I'm thinking I could go for a nice piece of after-dinner lasagne, instead. My sweet-tooth has been replaced with an umami-tooth. Pile parmesan or miso on something in gluttonous proportions, and I'm in heaven. I definitely haven't always been that way...

Old 12-01-2016, 03:20 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
no ive just learned more restraint...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink