Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:04 PM

173 posts, read 591,823 times

Advertisements

It's a travesty how inflation is taking it's toll on the working class. We're always shopping for the best deals, & make our meal plans accordingly. I like to go to recipezaar.com & make the stuff that I'd normally pay a lot for- such as bisquick, instant oatmeal w/ fruit additions, hot cocoa mix, even home made cake mix...saves a lot of $$$. Once you get hooked on tasting how much better, fresher & cheaper eating at home is, you'll eat out less, saving even more $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 05:08 PM

749 posts, read 2,772,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Looks like things will get worse-just heard on the news that the price of gas will go up .30 by next month.

It just went up 30 cents over night here, its going to do it again??

Old 03-10-2008, 06:08 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
I hate shopping and the price increases only make me hate it more. One thing to add, that really doesn't help with the price increases but, has anyone else noticed how packages are staying the same size but the number of ounces/grams is declining? Nice marketing ploy....making the consumer think they're getting the same amount of food but we're not! I've noticed this most in cans of soup, boxes of cereal and bags of chips.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:10 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
That's it-new and improved=less!!!!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:19 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
yes, I am seeing it down here! We have decided to plant more veggies in the garden this spring, and have invested in a new deep freeze. I am going to be canning and freezing quite a bit, to try to get a handle on the prices. DH is looking at buying dairy goats for milk and cheese, and I am also growing more herbs this year, in order to dry them for later use.
I wish there were a co-op here, but we cant even seem to be able to sustain a local farmers market, the closest one is 30 miles away.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:06 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
This chart shows some of the reasons behind the rises

BBC NEWS | Special Reports | The cost of food, facts and figures

such as...

more info at;
Food Outlook - November 2007

Old 03-11-2008, 08:12 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Thanks for those updates, southdown.

I was talking to a wholesaler/retailer in WA last night who has always been the best deal on art brushes (water, oil, acrylic). All of his prices will be increased this month so I tried to grab a few before the increase.

We talked about these increases in consumer products and how many variables affect and have an effect on them. For him, like for other retailers, the decline in the dollar will cause problems. While we aren't buying milk from China, we might be buying containers from Germany (just an example) so we are facing a spiralling increase because of a multitude of issues. I am far from being an economist, or even a person who balances their cheque book, but I do see a serious imbalance between wage increases and product increases.

I am tightening my belt.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:04 PM

601 posts, read 1,904,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
yes, I am seeing it down here! We have decided to plant more veggies in the garden this spring, and have invested in a new deep freeze. I am going to be canning and freezing quite a bit, to try to get a handle on the prices. DH is looking at buying dairy goats for milk and cheese, and I am also growing more herbs this year, in order to dry them for later use.
I wish there were a co-op here, but we cant even seem to be able to sustain a local farmers market, the closest one is 30 miles away.
We also are growing more this year. So far butter crunch and romaine lettuce, spinach, beets, and onions. When the temp heats up we'll do pole beans and tomatoes. It gets too hot here in the summer to grow much varity
and we are looking forward to moving to the Pacific NW. (Real dirt) here we have mostly sand

Old 03-12-2008, 12:30 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Food has gone through the roof!! There is only the two of us and I don't know how people with kids do it..I remember those days and the food they could put away.

Nothing gets wasted anymore, what's left over from dinner is lunch the next day.
Buying more store brands then name brands

Old 03-12-2008, 12:32 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I hate shopping and the price increases only make me hate it more. One thing to add, that really doesn't help with the price increases but, has anyone else noticed how packages are staying the same size but the number of ounces/grams is declining? Nice marketing ploy....making the consumer think they're getting the same amount of food but we're not! I've noticed this most in cans of soup, boxes of cereal and bags of chips.

Oh yes..I've noticed that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink