Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,159,084 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid (many, many years ago), we ate raw cookie dough, a slice off from those tubes of pre-made dough. We also ate the raw hamburger mixed up for meatloaf. Never made anyone sick. But those were all before the raw egg scares and e-coli days.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM

88,682 posts, read 84,998,937 times
I always ate raw dough when my mother was making cookies, just as I ate raw cake batter. (This was before those "tubes" of cookie dough were invented, though, lol, so it was MANY more years than the poster above me!) My mother made the Toll House Cookie recipe on the back of the chocolate morsels bag.

I used to beg my mother to let me have a whole bowl of cake batter when she was making a cake, but she never let me. I had to be content with the spatula, the beaters, the bowl, and whatever I could spoon off with my finger in the bowl when her back was turned.

Still love it.

When my daughter was growing up and we did have the tube of cookie dough, we'd have to buy two because we'd both eat half of one before they got made into cookies, lol.

I don't like it frozen/in ice cream, though.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,416,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
When I was a kid (many, many years ago), we ate raw cookie dough, a slice off from those tubes of pre-made dough. We also ate the raw hamburger mixed up for meatloaf. Never made anyone sick. But those were all before the raw egg scares and e-coli days.
Raw eggs and e-coli were always a known problem for decades. When, I went to school, it was taught not to eat raw meat in making a pate (meatloaf) or any ground meat of unknown origin as all the ground beef that you buy. Do not come up with the idea of Steak Tartar or any other classical preparation of raw meat, as an argument, because it is prepared to alleviate these problems. Making mayonnaise was taught using raw eggs but even then it was coming under suspicion and it was taught not to feed the raw egg products to the elderly or children. Now raw egg mayonnaise preparation has been abandoned for a another technique.

Unfortunately, we get sick many times with stomach problems and fevers but we do not know the source and much of the sources were these pathogens found in these products. So you may think, you never got sick from eating these products because you did not die but perhaps you did. I suspect that is the problem of some of my problems when I was a kid. It is foolish and very dangerous to eat a raw hamburger mix. We all are aware of the deaths and suffering caused by The Restaurant, Jack and the Box, and its under cooked hamburgers.

Food contamination and adulteration, especially meat, was much worse in years past. We are just more aware now. If you do not believe that problems existed than have a good read with The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, written in 1906. This novel was the impetus for the public outrage which caused the government to put into effect inspections of Food with the Meat Inspection Act and The Pure Food and Drug Act. This all lead to the Food and Drug Administration.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-25-2013 at 10:13 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,416,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When my daughter was growing up and we did have the tube of cookie dough, we'd have to buy two because we'd both eat half of one before they got made into cookies, lol.

I don't like it frozen/in ice cream, though.
The cookie dough in Ice Cream is not the same product, it is a cooked product, resembling raw cookie dough.

Livecontent

Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,874,858 times
Not particularly- it was fairly common in Australia as well. However, we probably stole the idea from the Americans.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 AM

88,682 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The cookie dough in Ice Cream is not the same product, it is a cooked product, resembling raw cookie dough.

Livecontent
Aha! I did not know that, and that's explains why I don't like it.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,702,809 times
When I was a kid I ate decayed bark because I thought it looked like dried meat. I don't recommend it. Then, a neighborhood pal and I ate dog biscuits. Meanwhile, another kid ate rabbit turds. So, cookie dough sounds pretty good by comparison.

I suggest that you DON'T eat any of the above.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,363,622 times
When we make our weekly batch of peanut butter cookie dough (I work in a jr./sr. high school cafeteria and YES we still make homemade cookies for the students) one of the maintenance guys helps himself to a bowl of the raw dough to eat at morning break. He's done it for years and is still alive and kicking.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,725,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
When we make our weekly batch of peanut butter cookie dough (I work in a jr./sr. high school cafeteria and YES we still make homemade cookies for the students) one of the maintenance guys helps himself to a bowl of the raw dough to eat at morning break. He's done it for years and is still alive and kicking.
Well I'd say that's a ringning endoresement of how good your cookies are.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,311,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
What day do you bake these cookies? I'll be right over ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.