Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:06 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Well I'd say that's a ringning endoresement of how good your cookies are.

Thanks! They are really good, but I'm biased! The first time I saw my co-worker bring his bowl of dough to the break room table, I thought it was ice cream! He used a scoop!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What day do you bake these cookies? I'll be right over ...

Every day! We make and mix the dough on Monday, scoop them out on trays with an ice cream scoop and freeze them, then bake as needed through the week. We make sugar cookies, too.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:16 PM

41,963 posts, read 75,205,836 times
We never got homemade cookies in our high school cafeteria. *pout*

Old 01-25-2013, 06:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Cookie dough in ice cream is raw. It's made with either pastuerized eggs, or without eggs, depending on the brand of ice cream. It's not cooked.

Steak tartare is not specially prepared to handle not being cooked. Raw steak is raw. Briefly-seared steak is briefly-seared, and still raw everywhere but on the very thin outer surface. Sushi is raw fish. Pate is cooked, so is meatloaf.

Now that we have that said -

I was brought up eating raw cookie dough - not "specially made cookie dough that's just for eating raw" because such a thing didn't exist. It was raw, because mom was making cookies and there was dough left in the bowl. Or sometimes we'd sneak and grab a few pinches while she was crouching to get the first batch out of the oven. I've never had pre-made commercial cookie dough, except for the chunks in ice cream. When I want fresh-baked cookies, I make them from scratch. And I eat the dough from the bowl while I'm spooning it onto the baking sheet.

I don't know if it's an "American thing" or not - but yes I'm an American. I never knew of any family that didn't eat raw cookie dough, growing up. It wasn't a trend, it simply wasn't taboo and since it tasted good there was no reason not to.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,648 times
You folks think eating raw cookie dough is bad....gosh, just think about the kid in my neighborhood eating those rabbit turds!!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Trimac: as a snack, no it's not commonly consumed in the US. It's consumed, mostly, as a "leftover of baking." And in the case of ice cream, as an edible adornment. There's less than a single cookie's worth of cookie dough, in a scoop of cookie dough ice cream. I eat more of the dough when I'm making cookies. But people don't generally make cookie dough for the express purpose of eating the uncooked dough. They make it so they can make cookies. And usually, you can't get every single morsel of dough out of the bowl, and off the spoon. Or perhaps there's JUST a little left over that won't fit on the pan, and it's silly to waste the oven to cook just one or two or three more cookies. So - you eat the extra dough, and scrape the spoon with your teeth, and use your fingers to get up that last couple of crumbs of dough in the bowl.

That's pretty much what people do with raw cookie dough, in the US. I'm sure there might be people who make/buy the dough just to eat it uncooked. But they are few and far between. It's definitely not a trend around here.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:42 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Major Clean-Up Now Complete, Thank You For The Reported Post. Carry On Discussing The Original Post.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:45 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
In our school cafeteria we get frozen uncooked cookie dough from Otis spunkmeyer, they just place the dough on cookie sheets and bake them. They are soooo good. I'd love to snaeak a raw piece though.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:20 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The cookie dough in Ice Cream is not the same product, it is a cooked product, resembling raw cookie dough.

Livecontent
No, it is raw, as I pointed out with supporting links in another post which was deleted. I cannot understand why this misinformation above wasn't wiped with all your other love letters.

I have traveled to and/or lived in over a dozen countries, so feel that I can confidently respond to the OP. There were other countries where I have observed the consumption of raw batter, be it cookie dough, cake batter, etc. it is usually kids who would be offered the bowl, mixer attachments, mixing spoon, etc to lick off as the product baked in the oven. It wasn't prepared commercially with the intention of raw consumption as for instance Ben and Jerry's or other ice creams. I don't recall seeing any break and bake type cookie dough in the markets either - throughout Europe there are plenty of high quality bakeries and everyone has a local favorite they prefer. Otherwise, they prepare there own from scratch like grandma made. Those are my personal observations, so take it as such.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
This thread is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink