Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 10:36 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times

Advertisements

Tonight was a baby spinach salad with raspberries, mandarin oranges, nuts, and raspberry vinaigrette. Then spaghetti squash with bacon and brown sugar.

Does anybody have a good bread machine recipe?

Old 10-30-2008, 01:37 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,901 times
Last night I had to improvise a bit. I had mini steaks defrosting so it was time I fried them in some oil.
DH cut a tons of onions (who knows what for?!?!) so they went into the pan right after the steaks got out of it. Then I added two large spoons mustard and some chicken broth, put the steaks back into the pan, grated cheese over them and off they went into the oven for 20 mins.
Along with it we had rosemary potatoes.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:18 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
Last night's dinner at Roy's was excellent.

On the table was a bowl of soybeans. (I had to ask what they were. They looked like jumbo pea pods.) They had spices on top of it with the same consistency of kosher salt, but it was a sweet and savory combination of spice. Apparently you don't eat the soybean pods, just the soybeans which are inside. So, you put the pod in your mouth and sort of bite the peas out of it while pulling the pod out of your mouth. Not the daintiest thing I've ever done, but it was interesting and had a very unique flavor.

After snacking on the soybeans, we shared appetizers:

Hand Chopped' Beef Tenderloin Lettuce Wraps with Macadamia Nuts, Hoisin Sauce and Iceberg Lettuce,

Crunchy Golden Lobster Potstickers with Spicy Togarashi Miso Butter Sauce and

Island Style Jumbo Lump Crab Cake Spicy Sesame Butter Sauce.

They were all sooooo good, but my favorite was definitely the lobster potstickers.

For the main course several of us, including myself, ordered the Classic Roasted Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi with Lobster Cognac Butter Sauce, which was fabulous; I also had a taste of their Shiro Miso Grilled Filet Mignon, Togarashi Potatoes and Sake Veal Demi, as well as their Mongolian Grilled Chicken.

For dessert, along with coffee, everyone except me had their Signature Melting Hot Chocolate Soufflé, which had this molten fudge inside. It is made to order and has to be ordered with your main course if you want it. The soufflé looked very good and was topped with powdered sugar and was sitting atop a raspberry sauce drizzled on the plate. I had a lindzer tart filled with some kind of a yummy warm, macadamia caramel concoction, which was served a la mode. The tart was soft like a pastry, rather than hard like a cookie. It sat atop drizzled caramel and had three of the sweetest raspberries along side it. Mmmmm, Mmmmm, Mmmmm!

There is no way I am going to top this with dinner tonight. I can't even come up with an idea yet.

Last edited by CheyDee; 10-30-2008 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 10-30-2008, 05:32 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
CheyDee it sounds absolutely wonderful.......its almost my Birthday.....if that resturant were near us I would be hinting broadly that I would love to go. I would be well contented with several apps.....they all sound great!

Old 10-30-2008, 05:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Good Morning all!!
It looks like I have a choice to make, Carnitas or Chicken Mole for dinner... I can't decide so I think I'll let y'all chose for me...

Old 10-30-2008, 06:08 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Chey-sounds so very,very good.

JimJ-either one-what time should I be there?

Not sure yet as Mr. L is getting "let out" and I'll see what the doctor has ordered!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:21 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Wow, what a review, CheyDee! Sounds like a wonderful meal; thanks for letting us travel along vicariously with you. Now I just need to figure out a plausible story to tell the spouse to explain the drool all over the keyboard....

For a change, we not only have tonight's dinner decided but even prepared. The daughter's sig-other and two other friends from her college are coming over for an evening of pumpkin carving and hair-dyeing (for costuming purposes), so we've got a roaster-pan full of a nice big pork roast, potatoes, carrots, onions, parsnips and beets in the oven set on time-bake to come on at 2:30 this afternoon. We've found that if we put a frozen-solid roast in the oven in the morning on time-bake, it is done to perfection when we're ready for supper. And of course the side benefit is that when we walk in the door from work, the house already has that warm, welcoming scent of gently roasting meat and vegetables, which is a really nice thing to come home to.

Have a great Thursday, all!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:22 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
After running around ALL DAY yesterday- the back and forth was driving me bonkers.... Had two SEPERATE trips to my daughters elementary school alone for meds and a PTA meeting... got the kids home from Karate- after going to check my parents dehumidifier- like my dad asked me to from 1000 miles away on vacation... and the front door wouldn't lock when I was leaving!!!!!! I was freaking out!!!! I called him after 40 minutes of panic and trying 50,000 different ways to do it.... I really didn't want to leave the house unlocked (or tell my high powered business man of a father the door was broken and have him tell me how to fix it over the phone when I had been trying for the past 40 min with two kids screaming around me)... UGH..... It was a stressful night but Hubby had a business dinner at my Favorite Sushi place (California Rollin') and brought me home some amazing rolls so I was watching Private Practice and downing Sushi last night.... it was great.... mmmmm mmmmm good!!!!!

Today.... I think it will be a low key afternoon... I don't want to see the inside of my car once I get back from taking daughter #1 to school in the next 10 minutes.... I have some chicken... I will figure something out... Also have some Turkey Dogs- the nitrate free ones of cours.... we shall see..... i will stop in later for an update....LOL.... have a great morning....

Old 10-30-2008, 06:58 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
My fried chicken with panko turned out really good but can anyone imagine messing up pancakes? Well I did! I've never had them turn out so badly. They were like hard biscuits with a salty flavor. I used Bisquick and never had that happen before. So, although the chicken was good, it kind of ruined the whole dinner because the pancakes were "suppose" to play a major roll. So much for the chicken, pancakes and syrup. At least I gave it a try! Hubby said not to make it again! I agree.

I have some good looking root veggies I want to roast up tonight for dinner but I still have to figure out what meat to make with them?? I'm going to try fennel for the first time. Should be interesting.

Enjoyed reading all the posts while trying to catch up this morning. Such great meals! Yum! Thanks for sharing!!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:25 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I have totally changed my style of cooking....no gravy.....I couldnt believe I was washing out a baking dish that had all the beautiful brown bits that normally I would have deglazed and made into gravy! I eat fruit packed with no sugar while dishing up ice cream for DP.......and......most significant....I havent had a cocktail or glass of wine in the past 9 days!
Well done Elston - you really have good self-control! Especially when cooking for/eating with someone who isn't dieting....

I too am cutting right back on wine etc, now only drink a glass or two when we have a 'special' dinner with guests or go out. Mind you, I'm still making gravy, but the light stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
I'll tell you what my two biggest challenges will be in losing 100 pounds.

[1] Getting out to walk each day despite the cold, the wind, the snow, etc.

[2] Reading all the messages you guys post in this thread. They are fantastic. You all leave such beautiful messages with recipes and ideas and such. I'm going to read them and think "Hmm, that sounds good" ... "Hmm, that sounds good too" ... "Hmmm, so does that". I have to make sure that between all those Hmms, I don't Hmm myself into needing to lose TWO hundred pounds.
I agree, this thread is dangerous! But you can do it Charley, just keep on keeping on.... I'm off on my daily walk any minute now.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Tonite was whole wheat eng muffin (dry), salad (fat free Caesar), 1% cottage cheese-now blueberries/rasp/strawberries and down comforter
Well done Lacey, keep up the good work!

....All this talk of diets again is it the season???!!

Maybe we should have a "What's NOT for dinner tonight" thread!!

Last edited by southdown; 10-30-2008 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink