Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 05:31 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times

Advertisements

vpcats, I am glad to see you back among the foodies, but am so sorry to hear that your relationship ended. I send you good wishes for a fast healing and a better partner next time. It will happen, even if it doesn't seem that way now.

I went through the recipes sub-forum looking for a couple that I remembered that you might find helpful cooking as a single, and here's the crockpot thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...t-recipes.html

And there was a college sophomore looking for quick easy one-person meals a while back, and I saw some fairly creative answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...asy-cheap.html

And there were some really creative things to do with ramen noodles in this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...n-recipes.html

Another trick that my sister has used for years is to spend some time each weekend cooking up normal-sized recipes and dividing them up into single-serving portions to freeze. During a busy week, she can pull one out, zap it in the microwave and have a hot, home-made supper in under 10 minutes.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:45 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,294,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I only do the cooked variety - and I do like that.

Tonight - Chicken Arrabiata (sp?) left over from last night....
OK, y'all do not laugh at me, as I have never had sushi - Is there a cooked variety of sushi??? I thought sushi was raw? (I am sooooooo culinarily disadvantaged! )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
The dinner decision has been made in favor of burritos with a bottomless glass of green tea. Brownies for dessert on last night.
Being something of a "sweet tea connoisseur", is this green tea you love as good as regular sweet tea? I know it is supposed to be really good for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I've seen your picture. How do you stay so thin eating all that good food?
OK, you are now officially my best friend!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
vpcats, I am glad to see you back among the foodies, but am so sorry to hear that your relationship ended. I send you good wishes for a fast healing and a better partner next time. It will happen, even if it doesn't seem that way now.
Ditto from me too! You are such a wonderful person! We here on CD know it, and your next sig other will too! Wishing you all the happiness in the world!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:53 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Me, me. I would love that recipe if you want to share.

I'll check. Hey we have to but stuff for a new house so I should be able to find something.

I've seen your picture. How do you stay so thin eating all that good food?

Tonight was clean out the fridge night. Sausage, ravioli, and acorn squash for me.
You got it tomorrow-okay!

VP-so happy to see you back-knew something was happening. Hugs friend.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:54 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post

Being something of a "sweet tea connoisseur", is this green tea you love as good as regular sweet tea? I know it is supposed to be really good for you.
The first time we brewed green tea it was yucky. So back to the drawing board with the project. The next try was using on green tea bag along with the regular tea bags. That was fine. After a couple of weeks we added on more green and took away a regular. After a few weeks straight green is now good. It's a lot of what you get used to. Now I crave it. Also our local supermarket (Publix) sells it in gallon jugs and theirs is very good. I would love to know how they brew and make it as it is better than what we make.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:09 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,669,583 times
no cooking for me tonight! Actually for the whole weekend! ! ! Friday was my b-day so I was off the hook, Saturday was in town all day so off the hook, today was my youngest's b-day and we ate at my mom's restaurant for a late lunch which consisted of chicken and dressing, cream potatoes, corn, green beans, lima beans, spiced apples, fried okra, roast, fried chicken, fried catfish ugh, mac n cheese, salad and/or slaw and of course the cake. I know I am leaving something off but can't for the life of me remember oh Early/English peas.

I am so stuffed that I can't eat another morsel of food! Its football and bed for me.

Plus, my oldest is preparing me a French Chocolate Moose....ahhh, maybe a bite and the rest for tomorrow.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:43 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Some of the gang here do use crocpots frequently. We don't use ours very much. What are some of you favorite foods? We cheat sometimes and get a rotisserie chicken from Publix. What we don't eat as chicken get's made into chicken salad. We also when close on time use coleslaw and carrot salad from Publix. Cooking for two is hard and for one is not going to be easy. Grilled cheese and soup in cool weather is a favorite at my house. I'll keep thinking on it. Meantime I need to thing about my own dinner. I did feed the kittties but I'm still not fed.
LOLLLLL... Well the kitties ARE more important aren't they? We can wait.
Thanks for the suggestions Nomad. My biggest problem is "creativity" and not knowing what goes with what or what spices/sauces, etc.

I do have my son around too who will eat here too but he is SO picky and he's a grown man. He knows how to make eggs though. We may just be eating a lot of eggs, or he'll learn to eat my CD creations!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Well we cheated tonight and after going to Costco and eating lunch (oops I mean sampling) we bought a couple of really great things we tasted. We got the Kirkland Lobster Bisque (yummy!) and Martha has a new product called "Apple and Raspberry Slab Pie that's exclusive to Costco and OMG is it goooooood! I ate 4samples of it (the tester lady was laughing at me) and just had to have one.
On the upside I saw these cookies for sale in a magazine we just got and HAD to make them they looked so good so I made 'em and they are good.
Here's the recipe if y'all want to try it.

Hamantaschen

1 medium seedless orange
· 2 eggs
· 3/4 cup sugar
· 1/2 cup oil
· 2 tsp. baking powder
· 3 cups flour
· Jam or other fillings
Cut the orange into quarters and pulverize it in your food processor until finely chopped. Add the eggs, sugar and oil, and process for about 10 seconds. Add the baking powder and flour and process with several on/off turns, just until the flour is blended into dough. It will be slightly sticky, but that's OK. Cut the dough into 3 or 4 pieces, and work with just one lump at a time.
Roll the dough out on a well-floured board to about 1/8 inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter cut 3-inch circles of dough. In the middle of each circle, put about 1/2 teaspoon of filling: jam, chocolate chips, or even canned pie filling. Pinch the sides of the circle up, making a triangular enclosure, and leaving the top slightly open so that you can see the filling. (Just make sure that the corners are firmly pinched so that the jam doesn't leak out the sides.)
Place cookies on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350º F (180º C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Makes about 4 dozen hamantaschen.
alternate spelling: Hamantashen

Mohn Filling:
POPPY SEED FILLING:
· 1/2 lb poppy seeds
· 4 tbsp honey
· 2 tbsp sugar
· juice of 1/2 lemon

Old 11-09-2008, 06:51 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
Oh Thanks guys. VERY much! Time for peace of mind now and picking your brains!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:14 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
LOLLLLL... Well the kitties ARE more important aren't they? We can wait.
Thanks for the suggestions Nomad. My biggest problem is "creativity" and not knowing what goes with what or what spices/sauces, etc.

I do have my son around too who will eat here too but he is SO picky and he's a grown man. He knows how to make eggs though. We may just be eating a lot of eggs, or he'll learn to eat my CD creations!
Make a deal with your grown son that he cooks one night and then you cook the next with both of you on the 3rd night! What fun learning new dishes together then you can rate each others dishes so you know how to improve.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:21 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
The hamantaschen cookies are traditional for the holiday of Purim....a joyous festival celebrating the rescue of the Jewish people from the Persians. Queen Esther used her influence with the king, to foil the plot of Haman, the kings wicked advisor; to have the Israelites killed. Haman wore a three cornered hat and hence the three cornered cookie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink