Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 09:32 AM

3,897 posts, read 1,228,432 times

Advertisements

We had 'breakfast' last night for supper, so I think we'll be having leftover 'Taco Soup' tonight!! Actually, what we have tonight will be dependent on what we eat and how much we eat, when we go out for lunch today!! hmmmmmm

Now that it's gotten cold out, I'm thinking about reviving something that I used to do when my kids were growing up!! Starting on Monday, I would put a pot in the fridge with all of the leftovers from Monday's dinner.....then each night, I would add the leftovers from dinner to the pot, until Saturday! Then on Saturday, I would decide if the pot needed anything else to round it out, then add tomato sauce or beef or chicken broth and spices, and everything in the pot would become 'soup' for Saturday night dinner!

It was kind of fun because each week the soup would be different! Sometimes it would have more chicken - sometimes more beef or pork - sometimes a combination of all three.......sometimes rice.....sometimes pasta....!!! Each week we would 'name the soup' and watch to see if the same soup was ever repeated......rarely was it exactly the same!!!

It was a great way to make sure that leftovers weren't wasted.....come on, you know what I mean.....those little 'experiments' that turn up in the back of the fridge when you forget to use a leftover!!! LOL

Old 11-10-2008, 09:33 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Last night I made roast boneless leg of lamb, fresh green beans and Chantilly potatoes. We had a nice Spanish Rioja, and my friend brought a lemon meringue pie.The chantilly potatoes is a recipe out of my ancient cookbook, but it was new to me. Not bad for a change.
Dieters proceed no further....
Regular mashed potatoes placed into a casserole dish.
Whip 1/2 cup heavy cream and fold in 1/2 cup grated swiss cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes until the top is brown and bubbly.
The rest of the week DH is gone, so I'll probably eat mostly sandwiches, frozen entrees, and cereal.
That recipe should have the warning that Dante said was inscribed over the gate to The Inferno....."Give Up Hope All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,745,369 times
Love Chantilly potatoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haven't made them in a while. Kind of forgot...thanks for the reminder.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:44 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Last night I made roast boneless leg of lamb, fresh green beans and Chantilly potatoes. We had a nice Spanish Rioja, and my friend brought a lemon meringue pie.The chantilly potatoes is a recipe out of my ancient cookbook, but it was new to me. Not bad for a change.
Dieters proceed no further....
Regular mashed potatoes placed into a casserole dish.
Whip 1/2 cup heavy cream and fold in 1/2 cup grated swiss cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes until the top is brown and bubbly
The rest of the week DH is gone, so I'll probably eat mostly sandwiches, frozen entrees, and cereal.
Oh boy when I go to the store this week I am picking up some swiss cheese. Those potatoes sound heavenly.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:45 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
That recipe should have the warning that Dante said was inscribed over the gate to The Inferno....."Give Up Hope All Ye Who Enter Here!"
Oh Elston I tried to give ya a rep for that but alas I must spread the love.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Oh wow-those potatoes-yum.

Well the deli had no roast beef (Boar's Head-and that's all I buy)-so dinner will be pepper/egg subs.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,294,175 times
Thanks everyone for all the sushi tips! I really would like to try it! I will take Elston's advice though, and not go to a grocery store - but to somewhere reputable! Now, Wasabi......isn't that really really REALLY hot?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:31 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
It'll clear the snot right off your nose hairs!

Sorry, I hope nobody was eating while reading this.

Personally I like that feeling, believe it or not, but it might be an acquired taste.

Just add some of the green stuff into your soy sauce and stir it around with a chopstick till it mostly dissolves. Then you can always add more soy if you have too much wasabi for your taste. A little goes a long way!!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:31 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Thanks everyone for all the sushi tips! I really would like to try it! I will take Elston's advice though, and not go to a grocery store - but to somewhere reputable! Now, Wasabi......isn't that really really REALLY hot?
It is like horseradish.....to take a very little like maybe 1/8 of a teaspoon and put it in a Tablespoon of soy and just dip the sushi in it.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
YoungLisa-I dm'd the cheesecake recipe.

Wasabi is so good in mashed potatoes!

Oh I took on the scale while Mr. L was at doctor's and I lost another 6. Mr. L has gained 5 in a week!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink