Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 05:00 AM

48,148 posts, read 22,013,215 times

Advertisements

Jaxson.....there are canned hams and then there are "canned hams"....meaning the variation in quality is quite large.....there is a rather spam-like one that they sold in California that I really disliked....the meat had no texture and was soft......but there are some that I have had that were really good.....I liked the Hormel Black Label Hams.....I used to do pretty much like what Lacey said.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:47 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Well, we had a WONDERFUL Christmas.... the kids were SO excited!!!! It was magical. They got all they wanted (not too much!!!).... All Diva wanted was this "American Girl Doll" she saw at Target- a knock off and it's pony- which she got from my mom and dad... and all the Chatterbox wanted was the Wii... luckily it was what her father wanted as well and MAN did the whole family have fun with that at brunch! My sister was punchin' out her husband and were they ever winded! What great exercise! So glad the kids will have that to keep them active with inside while they are snowbound...

AND I AM STUFFED.... I feel like a balloon that is overblown and about ready to POP! I have been eating nonstop since Wednesday night at my Mom and Dad's.... and man was that ever a grazing party! Then brunch at my house- EZ- very Rachel Ray- what have you come to expect of me? But there was a ton of food- I may do it simply but there is a lot of it~ and everyone was full when they left. THEN we had the ITALIAN feast at my hubby's family party.... UGH....

AND IT ISN'T OVER! I have to go out to lunch today with my sis, BIL, bro, and hubby for sushi as our gift to each other. Not complaining about the sushi... love this sushi place.... my favorite place to get sushi and there is a huge selection.... BUT I AM STUFFED!!!..... WAIT..... it gets even better.... then my sis and BIL fly out tomorrow... so my hubby, bro, mom and dad, sis and BIL, are going to dinner tonight at this amazing restaurant... another fab place to eat and one of my absolute favorite places in town. Very upscale and tasty.... BUT I AM STUFFED!!! And after SUSHI???!!!???!!!! OMG someone is going to have to roll home like a sausage!!!!!! AND.... it isn't over yet..... My bro, sis, BIL, and hubby want to go out and pretend we are 21 and hit the bars tonight.... I am not 21.... I cannot drink like I am 21.... I have decided it would be best if skbs were the DD.... maybe not even BEST.... SAFEST.... for everyone.... but especially SKBS.... I AM STUFFED......

Old 12-26-2008, 06:45 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Good morning my foodie friends! So happy to read about all the Christmas happenings and joy! We went to my sons house and enjoyed a rib roast, ham, mashed potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, deviled eggs, salad, biscuits and a ton of all kinds of cookies, candy and pies. The grandkids were a joy as always! I did miss Amber and her family though...sigh....but she will be here soon to visit!!

Day 7--no smoking! It's still not getting much easier but I am determined!!

Old 12-26-2008, 07:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Cyn, congrats on day 7!!!! That's 7 days better than I'm doing and you're right, it's not easy. Thank you for the idea cyn, stuffed mushrooms sound soooo good me thinks they'll be perfect for our NY eve party along with bacon wrapped dates.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened my stocking... FULL of different kinds of chocolate! We then went and saw that new kid movie with adam sandler, it was cute!
Tonight, hmmm well we are going out (only god knows why) to fight the crowds and see if we can't pick up some bargains today so I'm guessing dinner will be self serve on your own type thing. I also have to snow blow a wide path around the house as it's supposed to RAIN on Monday which won't be good on top of all this snow, can anyone say ice rink?

Old 12-26-2008, 07:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Jaxson.....there are canned hams and then there are "canned hams"....meaning the variation in quality is quite large.....there is a rather spam-like one that they sold in California that I really disliked....the meat had no texture and was soft......but there are some that I have had that were really good.....I liked the Hormel Black Label Hams.....I used to do pretty much like what Lacey said.
I believe what Alton Brown said about canned hams. Something along the lines of "have you ever seen any part of a pig shaped like that can? No? Then it can't be real "ham" can it and it's to be avoided at all costs" (unless it's for bowling.)

Old 12-26-2008, 07:22 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
JimJ-feel the same about them.

Tonight it will either be leftover ziti or meatball parm subs, fries for Mr. L and salad for me.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:34 AM

DH bought a ham especially for me as he knows they are my favorite and since we have no leftovers this year because we went to the kids house he is making that for me tonight!! Yum! I'm making sweet potatoes and asparagus to go with it!! Then the left over ham and bone are my next favorite...that will become wonderful ham sandwiches on a variety of breads, scalloped potatoes and ham and lima beans with ham. Oh my, some wonderful eating coming in the next week!! Uh-oh--I think food is sounding better everyday--this no smoking could add some pounds here!

Old 12-26-2008, 07:44 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Cyn they say you regain your sense of taste-so enjoy.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:00 AM

I don't know if that is a good thing???!!!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:01 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,037 times
Good Morning Everyone, glad to hear everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I am still stuffed.

I have to go to Bed Bath & Beyond today and the shelter opens at 3, so we will go there to deliver the food for the 4 legged furry children.

Dinner is going to be the Rib roast I never made yesterday, mashers and asparagus.

Have a wonderful day all of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.