Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I caught a Calico Bass out at Catalina island some years back. It still holds the womans record in the record books. Caliso Bass are not big fish to begin with but the one I caught was 7 lbs 7 ozs. Very exciting. There is a long story that goes along with it. I lost a good portion of my middle finger that week-end and had to have it reattached by the Dr. on the island. One to many Long Island Ice Teas! Ha! My finger was cut off in the door on the boat we were on for the weekend..."before" I caught the Calico Bass. When I caught the fish I wouldn't let anyone help me bring it in and ended up back in the hospital having my finger put back on a second time. I basically knocked it loose from winding in the line on the reel. But I got the fish!! Ha! Talk about a "die-hard"!!
Good heavens, Cyn, you are undoubtedly the most stubborn fisher-person I've ever known! Those ice-fishers in their cold shanties haven't got a thing on you for grit and determination, my dear - you've got 'em all whupped hands down! Glad the finger stayed attached the second time around....

Old 12-15-2008, 06:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
LOL, nobody call me a sissy. I used to be a sushi chef. I can clean a whole fish, with bare hand! My hubby on the other hand...he probably would use gloves, not that he does much around the kitchen beside make coffee.
Hey nikk, can I drop by for some sushi lessons? Love making and eating it but can't seem to get the rolling quite right or keep the filling in the "center" of the roll.
Unfortunately most people up here think sushi is bait for ice fishing unless I can talk 'em into trying it. Once they get a taste of a good California/Philli roll or something other than sashimi/nigiri they sometimes come around though.

I have no idea what tonight's dinner will be, I have to go out and shop for a dinner party this weekend that my "chef to be" son is cooking, I wonder if I should be scared? I'm making dessert for it though, italian theme dinner so I'm trying chocolate ravioli (to my son's dismay btw), I'll let y'all know how THAT works out.

Last edited by jimj; 12-15-2008 at 06:56 AM..

Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
congrats cyn! You are one tough cookie for 'sticking' it out twice with your finger.

jimj isn't that the way passed down mishaps always go?

younglisa7 so tell us was your chicken breast moist?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:27 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,624 times
Hello everyone!!

Another crazy busy weekend. It is soooo cold here right now! It got down to -18 last night. Yesterday we were out and about running errands and I was sitting at a light underneath an overpass. When the plow went by up above it rained down snow and ice chunks and left a huge crack in my windshield running all along the bottom and one line going from bottom to top. Guess I need a new windshield to go along with new tires. Will it ever end??

Plumbing is still not fixed, but the guy we bought the house from has been very sympathetic and is paying for everything. We got the laundry situation fixed, but not the garbage disposal/dishwasher/bathroom sink. Our house was built in 1947 and has been completely redone -- except for cleaning out a grease pan or something??? And there lies the problem. We'll find out more today. We also had a funny story about the flat screen installation and set up, but I'll save that for later

I think we are having beef soft tacos tonight. Have a good Monday!!

Last edited by HighlandsGal; 12-15-2008 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-15-2008, 07:30 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
When I read your post to my DH younglisa7 hubby just laughed and said he always cooks his chicken and turkey that way for at least half of the cooking time--it does make the breast more moist he said! So you did just fine.
Yea, I know how the locals here also think of sushi as bait. Oh well, that leaves more for me--if I want to drive for an hour to get some!
Okay, dinner tonight....stuffed cabbage rolls. Probably mashed potatoes..again..DH likes his mashed potatoes, especially with cabbage rolls and probably some sliced avacados. This is not a for sure thing...just an idea. Will check in later with the for sure dinner tonight!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:37 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Hello everyone!!

Another crazy busy weekend. It is soooo cold here right now! It got down to -18 last night. Yesterday we were out and about running errands and I was sitting at a light underneath an overpass. When the plow went by up above it rained down snow and ice chunks and left a huge crack in my windshield running all along the bottom and one line going from bottom to top. Guess I need a new windshield to go along with new tires. Will it ever end??

Plumbing is still not fixed, but the guy we bought the house from has been very sympathetic and is paying for everything. We got the laundry situation fixed, but not the garbage disposal/dishwasher/bathroom sink. Our house was built in 1947 and has been completely redone -- except for cleaning out a grease pan or something??? And there lies the problem. We'll find out more today. We also had a funny story about the flat screen installation and set up, but I'll save that for later

I think we are having beef soft tacos tonight. Have a good Monday!!
Wow HG when it rains it pours doesn't it? Why wouldn't your city or county be responsible for fixing your windshield? When the snow plow hit my mailbox the county comes and puts a new one on here. That is good the previous owner is paying for the plumbing problems. Your grease trap will need cleaned out about twice a year to keep your sinks from backing up BTW.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Oh HG-you poor thing. I agree check and get the county/town to pay.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:49 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Morning everybody.

Hey all you oatmeal meatloaf makers.. can I use steel-cut oatmeal (and how much for 1.5 lbs of meat) or had I better stick to white bread?

My hubby is convinced he hates meatloaf because of traumatic childhood ritual force-feedings, so this is my only chance to convince him it's not completely evil.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:53 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Debsi-I had thought of that but I wouldn't. I would just do the soaked white bread.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:56 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
LOL I have been spelling Carcass wrong! HAHAHAHAHAHA ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Well, I am taking my CACASS to bed..... with my neck entact thank you kindly.....leaving a dollar for the Diva since she lost a tooth tonight.....nasty blood- couldn't handle it- Hubby had to deal- tellin' ya it was NASTY!.....LOL you all I know I know.....DIva doesn't fall too far from the Diva tree huh? LOL This girlie girl is tired and I have too much PTA garbage to do tomorrow..... blah..... I think it will be BONEless chicken breasts for dinner Monday night..... with pasta.... and da da da da..... BROCCOLI!!!!!!!! I might be on in the afternoon.... but it will be a chipmunk crazy day..... cya all later.....
Skbs...you need to have a couple of boys to help ya get over your squeemishness. LOL Do you know who is responsible for baiting and cleaning in our house? Yep me. 4 men in my house, who has to kill and clean the fish and bait their hooks? Nope here's little ol me having to do it. My hubby is such a wuss. LOL And of course cleaning fish always turns into a biology lesson for the boys and the NEIGHBORHOOD. I think I know more about fish biology than any person rightly should. LOL

Tonight for dinner, no idea yet. Maybe tuna casserole. Something simple. Feeling tired.

Puppy update: Got an email from landlord saying it would be ok to get the dog. Now we just have to wait for the Humane Society to contact her. She's in Ca. So who knows when they will get ahold of her. Hopefully today. Keep on keeping your fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink