Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 07:11 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times

Advertisements

Don't they take longer to cook? Seriously... I am so clueless when it comes to bones. Do you know I won't cook a whole turkey because of the bones?! I am not joking. My husband gets a coupon for a free bird every thanksgiving. We give it to my grandmother. I will make a breast because it is deboned and White meat- my favorite anyway. But really I won't make it because of the bones.... a whole chicken too.... it is the bones I tell ya! I don't like 'em. They freak me out LOL

Old 12-14-2008, 07:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Nomad, very true about the bones, that captain new his stuff! It's the marrow in the bones that flavors the meat.

Well tonight we had bbq burgers tonight. When I was asked what we're having and I told my DW "burgers" since I was in the middle of grinding 12 lbs of chuck (that was on sale for 1.99 a lb btw so I HAD to grind it) she gave me a funny look and asked "so, how exactly are you going to cook 'em?" I told her bbq of course! She then looked at me like I had 3 heads and just said "ooookay". I guess I should tell y'all it's -5 deg outside (not wind chill) at this point with a wind coming up that's supposed to send it to between -20 and -50 deg wind chill.
So being the smart dad that I am I went out and started the gas bbq, went back inside and told my soon to be chef son that HE gets to bbq the burgers! Well I'm here to tell ya that yes you can bbq in below 0 temps! All it takes is a soon to be chef!
For desert is a big hunk of a fresh peach pie I froze during peach season ( a Paula Deen recipe for frozen peach pie), I made about 8 of 'em just to get us through winter.
Have a good night all, everyone east of me take care, the storm that's coming to you is a bear!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 07:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Don't they take longer to cook? Seriously... I am so clueless when it comes to bones. Do you know I won't cook a whole turkey because of the bones?! I am not joking. My husband gets a coupon for a free bird every thanksgiving. We give it to my grandmother. I will make a breast because it is deboned and White meat- my favorite anyway. But really I won't make it because of the bones.... a whole chicken too.... it is the bones I tell ya! I don't like 'em. They freak me out LOL
Hmmm, Bonaphobia!!!! Yeah that's it!
Yes, things with the bone in can take longer and the meat by the bone is generally less done than the rest of the meat.
I wonder what in your life got you started on that particular aversion? That's an interesting one for certain...

Old 12-14-2008, 07:19 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,295,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
Tonight I cooked a country style pork ribs with 1/2cup soy sauce, 3TBSP sugar, 2TBSP Mirin, a few garlic cloves and 4 whole onions sliced up. Cooked in my pressure cooker. There was hardly any liquid to start with, but once the onions cooked down there was lots of juice. It was so tender and good!
Thanks for the ideas!

SKBS - If you ever want to try cooking a whole turkey, DM me and I will tell you the easiest way in the whole world to do this! Really! Is error proof!

Old 12-14-2008, 07:23 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Nomad, very true about the bones, that captain new his stuff! It's the marrow in the bones that flavors the meat.
That's exactly what he said about the marrow doing its job. I like the sirloin the best that has the long bone down the side. It is closer to the porter house and just always seems to be the best cut.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:25 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Thanks for the ideas!

SKBS - If you ever want to try cooking a whole turkey, DM me and I will tell you the easiest way in the whole world to do this! Really! Is error proof!
LOL I don't like raw meat.... pretty much the reason why I make so much boneless chicken breast. It doesn't seem so severe.... I can also do the ground turkey.... but once you start mixing bones and veins and juices.... then I start thinking about what I am eating.... LOL and I have a hard time COOKING it. It is me..... I will go to any restaurant and ORDER BBQ ribs until my hearts content. Or my fav Buffalo Wings at any local Pub... we do them right in WNY.... and I am fine.... but I can't make 'em......

Old 12-14-2008, 07:30 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Ok, I really goofed tonight. I made a small roast chicken, on sale this week. Cleaned it out, cooked the livers for the dog, seasoned the bird and put it in the oven. I went to stick the meat thermometer in to check it and had a hard time. Ok, so I poked the bird a few more times. All done. Took it out of the oven and went to slice it. It was really boney and still nothing is clicking. Sure enough I cooked the darned thing upside down. It still tasted good but all that good seasoned, crispy skin went to waste because it was the back of the bird. Sometimes you just have one of those days.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Ok, I really goofed tonight. I made a small roast chicken, on sale this week. Cleaned it out, cooked the livers for the dog, seasoned the bird and put it in the oven. I went to stick the meat thermometer in to check it and had a hard time. Ok, so I poked the bird a few more times. All done. Took it out of the oven and went to slice it. It was really boney and still nothing is clicking. Sure enough I cooked the darned thing upside down. It still tasted good but all that good seasoned, crispy skin went to waste because it was the back of the bird. Sometimes you just have one of those days.
Bless you But half the country will now pop in and tell you that IS the right way to roast the bird so the juices stay in the breast meat.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:56 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,759 times
The ribs were a no show for I did not finish baking till now. We ordered pizza and a salad. I had a slice of pie no crust My favorite part.
So 4 batches of fudge are finished 9 dozen white chocolate/walnut cookies cooling. I am running out of counter space. Charley how you doing with the cookies? The baskets are ready to be put together. The cookies need to go on there merry little ways. I have some shipping to do too

HG I guess new house = repairs. Chin up girlie at least you have friends and famly as support
Lacey as always sending you CA sunshine and warm wishes. 35 below!?? No thank you very much. I am cold at 45'. Your poor knee Maybe a cookie cure for that.
Elizamary it is nice to have great neighbors.
Kelsie and MTH I am on the survivor band wagon too! ha ha MTH my figers are crossed for the new pup!
Southdown I love dinner imposible. Looks like ya did it!
Younglisa I would rather cook than do laundry haha someones gotta do it right?
Aylalou what are Pasties? Interesting...
Jaxson I am with ya on the weird weather. We are going to have a fire tonight.
CheyDee & MTH I was laughing at CA reaction to a drop of rain... The DOPLER 9000 gets called out at the sight of a cloud ah ha ha ha!
NMS grumpy old men funny! & ice fishing I would try it... not for long ha ha
Nomad a new mission fried ham hmmm
MWBW you had me at home made lasagna. That is quite the pot LUCK I would say Very talented woman!
Elston I love the memories and experiences you have and share with us!
SKBS way to throw a DIVA party! You go mom!
Kats did you make the oreo ball cookies?

I would like to ask all the foodies to put old man Will (papa Will) in their thought and prayers. Saturday we were going to take him a truck load of wood but he said not to bring any wood at all..
He asked us to come up and take the wood splitter home with us. I did bring a basket of cookies His cancer has spread and his vision is worse. The meds he has been given are taking a toll on his muscles. Let him make it to seea new year... sigh...I am in high spirits and thinking positive so all I ask is for prayers. Thank you all very much!

Last edited by amberbaby27; 12-14-2008 at 08:12 PM..

Old 12-14-2008, 08:02 PM

849 posts, read 1,953,533 times
Amber, I will be praying for papa Will and the family. May God give you all peace and comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink