Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 07:07 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times

Advertisements

WHOO HOO Cyn...... Congratulations...... You deserve another star in my book! a nice shiny one! keep it up! We are here when you need us.... So glad you are already feeling better- what a great motivator! The mental part will come....... let us help you with that!!!! We are totally here to be your cheering section!!! Rah Rah Sis Pum Bah!!!!!!!!! Gooooooooooooo Cyn!

Old 12-31-2008, 07:12 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Morning again-Jaxson-hopefully closer to Cyn and Kelsie!!!!

Last morning of '08-wow. Cyn look at the great start you have for a New Year!

Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
I will be honest..you guys are the motivators for me! Really! With all the encouragement here how could I smoke again? I couldn't lie and say I wasn't smoking if I did start again and to have to say I had given in...well that would just horrible. So thanks for all the added will-power here!!

Jaxson, yes lacey "will" hopefully be moving in the same state as me and kelsie. Lacey loves living on the coast and that is where kelsie lives and I live more inland. But it would only require a couple hours of driving to see them both!! And I am sure it will happen!!

Old 12-31-2008, 07:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Happy New Year everyone. I hope you all have a wonderful and safe night tonight.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/lisa_in_east_tn/Slide311.jpg (broken link)

crazyworld- Stay warm tonight. I love chx parm. It's one of my favorite stand buys.

Lacey- Oh, I feel for you. If It was that cold here I would "never" leave the house.

jimj- I am in the east TN mountains. On the border of NC, TN, and VA. I love it here- absolutely beautiful. I think Maryville is about 2-3 hours from us. Our elevation here is over 3000 feet. Love the summers.

vpcat- Have a great time tonight. Enjoy the Chinese food. I miss good Chinese food.

cyn- Keep up the good work. We are all rootin' for you.

skbs- Have a good time. You sure do enjoy a ethnic variety of foods. I've never had Thai.

Well the cold weather is coming in but still not freezing. Tonight I am making chicken fajitas for me and chicken "cutlets" for my dh. It's really ashame that we don't eat the same food. I'll check back later.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:42 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Happy New Year, everyone!
It's snowing like crazy here this morning, so we're snuggled in until tonight. We'll go 5 miles away for manicotti, fresh green beans, bread and a cocktail or three. I'm bringing that artichoke/spinach/cheese appetizer and a new dessert using apples, crescent rolls, sugar, cinnamon and Mountain Dew. I've had it, but never made it before.
Historically speaking, if our friends start yawning, at about 10:30 we'll possibly come back home and be between the old Wamsuttas before midnight.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Younglisa, I'd only had Thai on rare occasions until I saw the episode "Your Pad or Mine (Thai)" by Alton Brown. It showed how easy it was to make good Pad Thai which is basically Thai spaghetti imo. Below is the recipe from that show and I've made it a couple of times. If you can look up when the episode runs again it's a good watch and demistifies Thai food. BTW, the tamarind paste called for is not too hard to find, any asian market will have it and in fact Krogers might as well.
Enjoy!

ThaiPrep Time: 40 min Inactive Prep Time: 12 hr 0 min Cook Time: 5 min Level:
Intermediate Serves:
2 servings 1-ounce tamarind paste
3/4 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons palm sugar
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
4 ounces rice stick noodles
6 ounces Marinated Tofu, recipe follows
1 to 2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 cup chopped scallions, divided
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 whole eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons salted cabbage
1 tablespoon dried shrimp
3 ounces bean sprouts, divided
1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts, chopped, divided
Freshly ground dried red chile peppers, to taste
1 lime, cut into wedges

Place the tamarind paste in the boiling water and set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
Combine the fish sauce, palm sugar, and rice wine vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.

Place the rice stick noodles in a mixing bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Once the other ingredients are measured out into separate bowls, drain the water from the noodles and set them aside. Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch wide strips, similar to French fries.

Press the tamarind paste through a fine mesh strainer and add to the sauce. Stir to combine.

Place a wok over high heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil. Heat until it shimmers, then add the tofu. Cook the tofu until golden brown, moving constantly, for no longer than 1 minute. Remove the tofu from the pan to a small bowl and set aside.

If necessary, add some more peanut oil to the pan and heat until shimmering. Add 2/3 of the scallions and then the garlic, cook for 10 to 15 seconds. Add the eggs to the pan; once the eggs begin to set up, about 15 to 20 seconds, stir to scramble. Add the remaining ingredients in the following order and toss after each addition: noodles, sauce, cabbage, shrimp, and 2/3 of the bean sprouts and peanuts. Toss everything until heated through, but no longer than 1 to 2 minutes total. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with the remaining scallions, bean sprouts, and peanuts. Serve immediately with the ground chile peppers and lime wedges.

Marinated Tofu:
6 ounces extra-firm tofu, not silken
1 1/2 cups soy sauce
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder

Wrap the tofu firmly in a tea towel. Place the wrapped tofu into an 8-inch cake pan. Top with another cake pan and weigh down with a 5-pound weight. (Bags of dried beans or grains work well.) Place in refrigerator and press for 12 to 15 hours.
Place pressed tofu in a 2-cup container. Combine soy sauce and five-spice powder and pour over tofu. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, turning once. Remove the tofu from the marinade and use immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 to 3 days.

Yield: 6 ounces tofu

Old 12-31-2008, 08:01 AM

849 posts, read 1,953,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
teriyaki chicken at our house tonight. We are on the downhill side of the crud. I have a job interview tomorrow at 2pm and I just hope I won't look sick. Keep your fingers crossed for me folks! I need
all the luck I can get. Sent out about 40 resumes and this is the first response I got.

Nite all...................
Good luck today! My DH is still looking for a job, he has applied for over 600 jobs, had over 2 dozens of interviews, mostly over the phone and some 2nd and 3rd interviews and still no job. It's not easy out there, but I'm sure God is preparing just the right job for you out there as well. Feel better soon!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:05 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
YoungLisa I am just lucky enough to have a very ethnic family who cook for me too.... and an adventurous hubby who likes to try new things when family members aren't cooking..... and to think... I am the least adventurous of my family!!!!! LOL.....

Old 12-31-2008, 08:11 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
A good attitude Nik...and I agree. There is the perfect job out there for your DH and he will get it. Stay positive and I am still praying for you and your DH.

Daytripper, I am sending postivie thoughts in your direction and saying a prayer for your job interview tomorrow! So happy to hear you are feeling better.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:12 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Nik and DayT and all looking for jobs-best of luck in the New Year-blessings and hopefully prosperity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink