Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 09:08 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times

Advertisements

Funny because we had very few "snow-days" when I was growing up in Big Bear Lake, CA. I guess they figured if you could still walk to school, school would remain open. There could have been 4-5ft of snow and there was school. When we lived in Camp Angeles, back in the woods from Big Bear, we never had a "Snow-day". Never! And we had plenty of snow. Everyone walked to school anyhow and since my dad was the teacher and three of his students out of the total 10 in the school were his kids there was always school!! I always thought that was so unfair! Ha!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:11 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
I guess here in NC if they get 2" of snow everything closes down! Ha! Plus all of the stores can't keep in bread and milk!! Everyone rushes to the store and stocks up!! My understanding is they have very little if any snow removel equipment here so they just close everything down!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:02 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I wish I had an old fashion percolator....or I think those old fashion pyrex pots that made suction and sucked the water thru the grounds on the stove top were "neat"...that would be fun to try.
Elston, I bet you could get one from Vermont Country Store.
Someone on another thread was asking how to use one, since she would be visiting a non-coffee drinker who only had that kind of pot.
They bring back great memories, since that's all we used to have when I was a kid.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:06 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
When we lived in NJ 2" would bring a snow day!

Stew is all browned, assembled and slow cooking in a 225 oven for the day. Smells so good here.

MWBW-glad you got a "day off".

Highlands you have the ambition I used to have. Every year we gave a holiday party and everyone had to come formal-tons of appetizers, drinks, music and food. Mine has up and left!!!!!
We're dressing up a bit too.......and have a masquerade party for New Year's!!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:11 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Elston, I bet you could get one from Vermont Country Store.
Someone on another thread was asking how to use one, since she would be visiting a non-coffee drinker who only had that kind of pot.
They bring back great memories, since that's all we used to have when I was a kid.
They did have two perculators......one glass and one stainless....now not sure that it would be practical but I sure would like one.....

Old 12-19-2008, 10:21 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Years ago had a Farberware electric perc and later a Corning one-nothing like perked coffee.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:28 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
I know it will be some kind of chicken because the ribs are not sounding good and chicken is all that is left except for some maple flavored sausage that is rock hard. I may thaw that out today for tomorrow. Sort of clueless now. Do think maybe some of that sausage cooked with some potato and onion wood be good. Maybe that sausage will thaw in time to use tonight.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:09 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,746,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I guess here in NC if they get 2" of snow everything closes down! Ha! Plus all of the stores can't keep in bread and milk!! Everyone rushes to the store and stocks up!! My understanding is they have very little if any snow removel equipment here so they just close everything down!

Cyn they just did a broadcast and mentioned that a lot of the stores are out of bread and milk. It makes me giggle as I have this visual of people who are snowbound just sitting around having milk and bread. The stores never seem to run out of anything else. Funny

Good Afternoon all. C-D is very quiet today.

I think hat because we are going to be stuck in today and tomorrow I will make a rotisserie chicken and then tomorrow it will be a good day for soup so I will turn the leftovers into that. Doesn't get any better than that!

Have a great day all and Happy Cooking.

Today I also made two loaves of banana bread.I have not baked in quite a while because of WW and just the smell of the butter baking in the bread was incredible. I didn't taste it but it sure smelled great.
I wanted to make my fudge but forgot the powdered sugar....darn

Old 12-19-2008, 11:19 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Cyn they just did a broadcast and mentioned that a lot of the stores are out of bread and milk. It makes me giggle as I have this visual of people who are snowbound just sitting around having milk and bread. The stores never seem to run out of anything else. Funny

It's ludicrous here in the NYC Metro area, they're calling for 1-3", no big deal and there's more than enough people/eqipment to handle it yet.................................

I took a walk just to pick up a box of pasta for dinner later on, people were lined up with cartloads as if they expect to be snowed in for weeks, I didn't see carts overloaded like this during Thanksgiving week.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:26 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Burdell-it's a NJ thing-LOL!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink