Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 08:34 AM

7,336 posts, read 2,744,446 times

Advertisements

Nomad good thoughts and prayers being sent your way, as well as to all others who need them.

Warm thoughts being sent to all freezing foodies.

Cyn, big congrats to you on the no-smoking. 29 days is absolutely wonderful!

Came home this morning to my slow cooker full of fragrant, flavorful pinto beans (with some bacon, onion, and green chilis added). Now to finish up a couple of chores, mix up some jalapeno corn bread, and my "dinner" will be good to go. Then after the dishes are washed up, the two fur-babies fed, it will be time to go to bed and hope I don't get called in early again.

Hope you all have a good day.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
FOOD RECALL ALERT:

Peanut butter is being recalled but I can't get the FDA link to open so I am trying another site. This was posted this morning on another foodie list I am on will get back to ya all when I get the site. Right now I can tell you that all the cheese crackers with peanut butter are being recalled by a few companies and Keebler soft chew PB cookies.
So far I havent heard of any of the retail PB companies that sell to households...like peter pan, jiff, Skippy etc....being involved...it is companies that sell in bulk to food service places (nursing homes etc) and apparently to large companies like Keebler...I wonder about Reeses Peanut Butter cups and Butterfinger candy bars?????? I think I would avoid eating those....I have a large jar of PB in the house from when my granddaughter visited.....it should carry me forward quite a long time, without needing to buy any more.

It occurs to me that this type of incident.....shows what a collosal failure the laissez faire attitude about regulation has been.....over the past 8 years we have yielded to lobbiests pressure and let the food industry pretty much self regulate....who would have thought that would mean contaminated meat, toxic lettuce and peanut butter and the deaths of American consumers.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Jaxson I found a link.

FOOD RECALL ALERT:

Peanut butter is being recalled but I can't get the FDA link to open so I am trying another site. This was posted this morning on another foodie list I am on will get back to ya all when I get the site. Right now I can tell you that all the cheese crackers with peanut butter are being recalled by a few companies and Keebler soft chew PB cookies.[/quote]

Article - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090116-714721.html - broken link)

Old 01-17-2009, 08:39 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Sweet dreams and wishes for a 'no call sleep'.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:43 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times
Got the site to open on PB recall there are lists of what companies that have recalled food items.

Salmonella Typhimurium Outbreak

Beware of buying PB items from 2nd hand stores that might buy from warehouses that ignore the recall. Like dented can stores, Big Lots etc. they are saying this is going to last a year.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
So far I havent heard of any of the retail PB companies that sell to households...like peter pan, jiff, Skippy etc....being involved...it is companies that sell in bulk to food service places (nursing homes etc) and apparently to large companies like Keebler...I wonder about Reeses Peanut Butter cups and Butterfinger candy bars?????? I think I would avoid eating those....I have a large jar of PB in the house from when my granddaughter visited.....it should carry me forward quite a long time, without needing to buy any more.

It occurs to me that this type of incident.....shows what a collosal failure the laissez faire attitude about regulation has been.....over the past 8 years we have yielded to lobbiests pressure and let the food industry pretty much self regulate....who would have thought that would mean contaminated meat, toxic lettuce and peanut butter and the deaths of American consumers.
Any food product that has PB in like those cheese crackers, stuffed pretzels and even PB cookies already made I will avoid. You are correct about bulk foods elston.

When I was young my grandpa use to say America will be taken over one day without a shot fired. This has always stuck with me and I think our food chain could be the place to do it. I am very careful about not buying foods, toiletries outside the USA.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Jaxson I found a link.

FOOD RECALL ALERT:

Peanut butter is being recalled but I can't get the FDA link to open so I am trying another site. This was posted this morning on another foodie list I am on will get back to ya all when I get the site. Right now I can tell you that all the cheese crackers with peanut butter are being recalled by a few companies and Keebler soft chew PB cookies.

Article - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090116-714721.html - broken link)[/quote]

Thank you YLisa for your link as well! I am on slow dial up so it takes my computer a lot of time to search for things. We can never have too much info when it comes to our food chain I feel. I have the FDA site and the National Center for home preserving National Center for Home Food Preservation bookmarked so I can check regularly.

With any and all food recalls it just reassures me of my garden growing and home canning even more. Yes after all the remarks of "that is so old fashion" I still like knowing what is in the foods my family eats.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:18 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,675 times
I think I'm going to make some "Stuff from the Pantry Stew". I have some elbow macaroni, kidney beans, can of chili's and tomatoes. I'll throw in some sliced pork and some spices. I might even throw in a couple of red potatoes.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Today I am going to make two items that we will eat this weekend and will also go great in my lunch pail next week: pinto beans with bacon and chicken tortilla soup.

I make my tortilla soup with a whole chicken breast, zucchinni, onion, a little tomato, fresh cilantro, lime juice, and whatever else in the fridge looks right.

At home will serve over avocado slices with some cheese melting in.

At work will be part of my healthy lunch "program" and have no avocado, no cheese, and no tortillas strips either! Still good though.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,270,731 times
Tonight, Chef Hubster is making pork chops and twice baked potatoes (from Omaha Steak - mom sent us one of their packages). Probably some veggies, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink