Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 10:31 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times

Advertisements

Gosh, but I'm glad it's Friday night at last! It's been a week, that's for sure. I actually left the office today at 5:30, the first time I've left before 7 all week, and a couple of nights it's been after 8. We were supposed to add one more person to my team this fiscal year to reduce the load on everyone; the process was planned to start last October, and I'll give you three guesses what happened to that notion once the economy melted down. Ah well, I guess it's job security. And speaking of that, HG, I hope the RIF fairy stays far away from you!

Tonight was a real mixed bag. Supper with our friends was terrific; I had thought about the juicy wonderful burgers at Nick's this morning, when everyone else was talking about them, and totally forgot about Wisconsin's Friday night fish fry tradition. So much for the hamburger! Had a lovely plateful of lightly breaded fried perch, with a boiled potato, cole slaw and Avogomadro (I butchered the spelling but Greek is not my forte) soup, washed down with a Lake Louie Scotch Ale. Wonderful! Of course we all had to have pie for afters, and the tart cherry pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream was a fitting conclusion to a wonderful meal.

Sadly, however, that was the highlight of the evening, as the performance of JC Superstar was disappointing, to say the least. Although I love classical music and seldom listen to anything else, I've liked Superstar since I first heard it in my teens. I had seen it twice before, once on Broadway in the 70's and once in a community theater production here a few years ago, and I have to say that of the three performances, tonight's was the worst. There was lots of flash and glitter, and the chorus, choreography and smaller roles were all done at least fairly well, but the lead players were just dreadful. The actors who played Judas and Mary Magdalene sang at least half a tone flat throughout the evening, and in Judas' case, added a grating, whining overtone to being consistently flat. The actor who played Jesus sang like a very past-it lounge singer, and the way he delivered the few spoken lines in the opera reminded me of all the send-ups of William Shatner's acting style. Quite honestly, the community theater production had better singers in the lead roles, and considering the prices they charged for those tickets, that's a real shame.

But if that's the worst thing to happen this weekend, I'll be perfectly happy, because it's already over and done with! And I can sleep past 5:00 a.m. tomorrow AND Sunday, and I am NOT going into the office on either day, and I may even get a chance to cook this weekend! Hope that all of you have a wonderful weekend too - take care and be well.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:11 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
No banana split tonight...Only the banana...

Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
bjh I try to avoid malls when we go out to eat it is already planned where and just drive to the joint.
I know how you feel. I don't enjoy malls most of the time anymore.

Am glad to say I had the indulgence of a cheeseburger and fries.

Well, it has bread (carb), burger (protein), cheese (dairy), lettuce-tomato-pickle-onion (salad) and fries (nuther carb). That's they way I'll look at it anyway.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I know how you feel. I don't enjoy malls most of the time anymore.

Am glad to say I had the indulgence of a cheeseburger and fries.

Well, it has bread (carb), burger (protein), cheese (dairy), lettuce-tomato-pickle-onion (salad) and fries (nuther carb). That's they way I'll look at it anyway.
I think I saw where my favorite mall pizza place is going under...I did like there veggie pizzas and calzones...

Old 02-14-2009, 12:20 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I think I saw where my favorite mall pizza place is going under...I did like there veggie pizzas and calzones...
Darn! A good pizza place is a wonderful thing.

Pizza is another one of those "all the food groups" foods. (don't talk to me about a food pyramid)

Old 02-14-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:

Pizza is another one of those "all the food groups" foods. (don't talk to me about a food pyramid)
I don't follow the pyramid....I follow my cravings... But I do like a lot of veggies and some meat...fruits as they are available...

Old 02-14-2009, 12:33 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I don't follow the pyramid....I follow my cravings... But I do like a lot of veggies and some meat...fruits as they are available...
20 years ago I would have never thought I would be as interested in eating well as I am now. Those were the days, when you could eat with impunity and not gain an ounce. NOt so much the salad days, as the junk food days. Ironically, now that I watch what I eat more I eat more salads, but would rather have pizza, burgers, etc.

But if I had to choose between fruits and vegetables, I'd choose fruit.

I think what we crave may be what we need nutritionally, junk food notwithstanding.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:44 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Good morning all. Yes BJH what would be ideal is if we ate so healthy years ago and now could indulge in all the good greasy stuff.

MWBW at least the meal and company were winners.

NMS-catfish always fry or pan fry-it's great. Sorry your first experience was not a good one.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:13 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:

Well gee, a slice does have the profile of a pyramid, it must be healthy!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:41 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post

...........the performance of JC Superstar was disappointing, to say the least. Although I love classical music and seldom listen to anything else, Quite honestly, the community theater production had better singers in the lead roles, and considering the prices they charged for those tickets, that's a real shame.
My guy and I went to see the touring company of JC Superstar a couple of years ago in California with the original JC.(was that Ted Neely?) ....we enjoyed the performance but age was clearly taking its toll on the theatrical and singing power of Mr. Neeley. The production, stage effects, sets were all very professional....but it was dissappointing....it seemed very very tired.

Last evening we went to a college production of MoonChildren by Michael Weller.....a comedic play about a group of college kids of the 1960's sharing an apartment and love and life during those turbulent days. It was a romp and the energy of the young thesbians and the re-creation of "my era" made it a totally enjoyable evening.

Came home and fried up some hamburgers for a very late supper.

Last edited by elston; 02-14-2009 at 05:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink