Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times

Advertisements

Lacey I am sending good thoughts your way.

As promised....The King Cake was wonderful. By the way I had never heard of it until this year either.

Last edited by movingtohouston; 02-24-2009 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: added picture correctly I hope

Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Kelsie I am very sorry about your husband. If you need anyone to help you eat your marvelous cooking I'm sure I can make the sacrifice. Seriously I hope he is ok.

I just checked on a diet for gallstones and it says "no fowl" but I'm sure your doctor knows best. It also says he can have beets. Ask skbs to send her leftovers. Anyway here is the link I found. I hope it is helpful.

Gallbladder Diet specifically for gallstones and other gallbladder disease, What foods to avoid for gallbladder attack, gallbladder pain and after gallbladder surgery ....

Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
What are good meatless meals for lent, beside the same one that we alway did eat on meatless
Friday! During lent I crave meat on Friday, and hotdogs! I never want to eat them, or meat any
other day. I just like fish, not on the no meat day! Guess, Tuna and good clam chowder will do!
Shrip, maybe with angel hair pasta! Forty day to go!
Veggie or bean burgers
Bean burritos
French Toast
Pancakes
Omelets
Quiches
Shrimp
Lobstah
Any Fish
Bean and Veggie Soup
Minestrone Soup
Grilled Cheese and Tomato
Boca Burgers-- made from soy
Falafels
Tuna Noodle Casserole
Mac and Cheese
Pizza
Tempeh
Tofu stir fry
Lentil Stew
Vegetarian Chili
Stuffed Shells
Stuffed Baked Potatoes
Bean and Cheese Quesadillas

The list is endless. There are so many possibilities without feeling deprived.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:06 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Lacey - I am so sorry to hear about your DH! Wow, it's not ever easy, is it? Just know that we are all gathered around Cyn's dinner table praying for you and yours. He will be fine, and you will too. Just may take a little longer than we all thought. We are all here for you!

Kelsie - Sorry to hear about your DH also. I do know that you will find wonderful things to feed him - even if you have to "downsize the flavor" some!

Keep the faith!

Dinner was sloppy joes, which we all loved! LOL, sometimes it's the simple things, dontcha think??

Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
A salad w/pepprocini, onions, tomatoes and artichoke hearts w/a creamy Gargonzola dressing.
Butternut Squash ravioli with walnuts in a cream sauce.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,417,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Lacey:

Well foodie friends, I need some help. Came back from the dr's office with dh. Dr. is sending him for an ultra-sound this Thurs., he believes by the symptoms that something is going on with his gall bladder. The dr. looked at me laughed & said, "you have to cook him dull, boring food until I get the results." I guess my face must have dropped to the floor b/c doc. said to hubby, "look at her face, you would have thought I just gave her a death sentence" and he said "you just did". I asked him what I could cook and he said chicken and rice, I asked with Panko, baked--he said no, boiled and white rice. So now my dear friends, can you help me figure out what this Italian woman is going to feed her husband for the next week. Aside from my typical Italian gravies ect. I have in the freezer the following:

catfish
flounder
talapia
boneless c. cutlets
loin center cut pork cutlets
ground pork
Black Angus NY strip steaks
Ham steaks
Kielbasy (I know I can't feed him this) so that is on the back burner
turkey soup
potato leek soup

Tonight I made him a naked burger, that I had prepared before we left
and Risotto
I had cheeseburger, with raw onions, butter toasted roll and home fries.

Thanks for any of your suggestions

I am going to do the dishes, will check back later. Have a great night. kelsie
Kelsie, good thoughts coming your way for DH speedy recovery Sorry to tell you it's bland boring food for a while. Soup, soup and more soup (okay, maybe with some little meatballs, of course not fried would be fine

Your dinner though sounded good

Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Lacey I am sending good thoughts your way.

As promised....The King Cake was wonderful. By the way I had never heard of it until this year either.
MTH, your cake is an absolute work of art!!

I am very impressed.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
We just extended dinner with a the fruit....As I took the last bite I realized wife forgot the whipped topping...I think she and my doc are in cahoots...

Old 02-24-2009, 07:29 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
If I'm going to eat a pre-made frozen cake Pepperidge Farm chocolate and the coconut cake are my favorite. Always handy to keep them in the freezer for unexpected guests
Your dinner sounds great. I'm hungry
Thanks! I haven't tried the chocolate one but it sounds great! I forgot how good the coconut one was, I haven't had it in a while.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Well foodie friends, I need some help. Came back from the dr's office with dh. Dr. is sending him for an ultra-sound this Thurs., he believes by the symptoms that something is going on with his gall bladder. The dr. looked at me laughed & said, "you have to cook him dull, boring food until I get the results." I guess my face must have dropped to the floor b/c doc. said to hubby, "look at her face, you would have thought I just gave her a death sentence" and he said "you just did". I asked him what I could cook and he said chicken and rice, I asked with Panko, baked--he said no, boiled and white rice. So now my dear friends, can you help me figure out what this Italian woman is going to feed her husband for the next week. Aside from my typical Italian gravies ect. I have in the freezer the following:

catfish
flounder
talapia
boneless c. cutlets
loin center cut pork cutlets
ground pork
Black Angus NY strip steaks
Ham steaks
Kielbasy (I know I can't feed him this) so that is on the back burner
turkey soup
potato leek soup

Tonight I made him a naked burger, that I had prepared before we left
and Risotto
I had cheeseburger, with raw onions, butter toasted roll and home fries.

Thanks for any of your suggestions

I am going to do the dishes, will check back later. Have a great night. kelsie
Kelsie, I've been wracking my brains about your question ever since I saw it, and all I can say is that I surely don't envy you the task. That's hard on so many, many levels; for so many of us, food is another word for love, and the effort and artistry we invest in the food we prepare becomes a synonym for the love we feel for those who eat it. I often think that's why this particular thread resonates so much for so many of us.

I think in your position, I'd start in the spice rack. I know he probably can't have any hot-type spicy things, but there are a whole lot of wonderful seasonings out there that add a wealth of flavor even to plain boiled chicken or rice without adding things that would upset a delicate gallblader.

If you have to boil chicken, fine, but use a whole bone-in chicken rather than boneless pieces; the gelatin that cooks out of the bones adds a flavor element to both the chicken itself and to the broth that cannot be duplicated any other way. If he's allowed to eat other meats besides just chicken, try to cook them with the bone in if possible; since you're so limited on other ways of enhancing the flavor, you want to maximize every possible source of goodness, and bones (close your eyes, SKBS) are a great way to do that.

When you boil that chicken, add some basil and a couple of bay leaves. If the doc hasn't forbidden it, either toss in a couple-three whole cloves of garlic (fish 'em back out again before he finds them in his bowl, of course) or else a good shake of garlic powder. Maybe a quartered onion or some onion powder, too. Soy sauce can add a lot of flavor, though if he has to watch his salt intake, be careful with it.

For the rice, use that good broth you got off the chicken to cook it instead of plain water. Or use water, but season it with herbs and spices the same way you do the boiled chicken.

I am not very imaginative at all when it comes to spicing combinations, but I will ask the spouse for ideas in the morning, as he is incredibly inventive about putting together wonderful and unusual flavors. Will post back with any suggestions he comes up with.

Good luck to you and your dear man, Kelsie, and I do so hope that he has a quick and relatively easy time getting through this rough patch! And what I said to Lacey goes for you, too: do NOT neglect caring for Kelsie during the days to come. You won't be able to help him if you don't care for yourself, so be sure that you get enough sleep, enough good food, and plenty of caring and support along the way. Sending you good vibes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink