Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 06:06 PM

48,337 posts, read 22,088,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Elston how do you make curried beef?

I like curry. I have a little bottle of curry powder but have no idea what to do with it. What to use it on, how much to use, etc.
This is the simplest dish I make. I use a product called Goldens Curry; it comes in a box and its in the oriental food section of most supermarkets...There is a hot, a medium and a mild version....I use t he medium and it isnt very hot. You cut up beef, I use everything from stew meat to cutting up some nice steak...you have to adjust the cooking time according to the quality/toughness of the beef. (you could also use chicken or pork)

Cut the meat up small cubes--quite small.

brown in a little oil

add lots of chopped onion and perhaps a couple of chopped carrots and tonight I added a cubed red skin potato

add 2 1/2 cups of water and cook about 1/2 hr till tender.

take off heat and open the curry package.....it looks like a hershey candy bar...

break it up and throw in the pan with meat and water etc.

stir and it melts and begins to thicken

return to heat and cook on low for about 8 mins.

serve in a bowl over rice and eat with a soup spoon.

It is delicious and is very authentic Japanese style. That is how my MIL makes it Golden's even the same brand.

My partner, says he likes it best when the ingredients fall apart and it looks like a homogenized sauce.....I have seen it served this way....it isnt the way I serve it ...... or his mother for that matter.

Your bottle of curry powder is something different....India.....it is good mixed in deviled eggs....added to cream/white sauce....or if you are sauteing something like chicken in a pan with butter and onions and/or green peppers, put in about a half teaspoon curry powder.....if the pan is dry...add a little liquid. Curry powder can also be used on fish if you are broiling it in the oven with butter and white wine....could add it to a crumb topping. Don't be afraid of it. Experiment. It is good.

Oh! saute shrimp in a pan with butter.....add some curry powder..it is wonderful with shrimp..could saute some celery and onion or green pepper too. It is really delicious. But ..... your family might not like it.... not everyone likes curry.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:23 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,960,250 times
Hi everyone..I've been on vacation so I have been eating tons of junk -- hot dogs, potato salad, beer , chips and dip, etc. Miss cooking!

Old 07-11-2008, 07:30 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,903,769 times
I had my ambitions for dinner side tracked tonight. We are saving those cubed steaks for tomorrow night. Because of time constraints we had black beans & rice with sausage with tomato wedges tonight. Chocolate ice cream for dessert.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,190,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
This is the simplest dish I make. I use a product called Goldens Curry; it comes in a box and its in the oriental food section of most supermarkets...There is a hot, a medium and a mild version....I use t he medium and it isnt very hot. You cut up beef, I use everything from stew meat to cutting up some nice steak...you have to adjust the cooking time according to the quality/toughness of the beef. (you could also use chicken or pork)

Cut the meat up small cubes--quite small.

brown in a little oil

add lots of chopped onion and perhaps a couple of chopped carrots and tonight I added a cubed red skin potato

add 2 1/2 cups of water and cook about 1/2 hr till tender.

take off heat and open the curry package.....it looks like a hershey candy bar...

break it up and throw in the pan with meat and water etc.

stir and it melts and begins to thicken

return to heat and cook on low for about 8 mins.

serve in a bowl over rice and eat with a soup spoon.

It is delicious and is very authentic Japanese style. That is how my MIL makes it Golden's even the same brand.

My partner, says he likes it best when the ingredients fall apart and it looks like a homogenized sauce.....I have seen it served this way....it isnt the way I serve it ...... or his mother for that matter.

Your bottle of curry powder is something different....India.....it is good mixed in deviled eggs....added to cream/white sauce....or if you are sauteing something like chicken in a pan with butter and onions and/or green peppers, put in about a half teaspoon curry powder.....if the pan is dry...add a little liquid. Curry powder can also be used on fish if you are broiling it in the oven with butter and white wine....could add it to a crumb topping. Don't be afraid of it. Experiment. It is good.

Oh! saute shrimp in a pan with butter.....add some curry powder..it is wonderful with shrimp..could saute some celery and onion or green pepper too. It is really delicious. But ..... your family might not like it.... not everyone likes curry.

Wow Elston! You've given me a month's worth of delicious recipes here, and simple ones! Yayyyyy.

This post is going down in MY cooking files. I've got lots of goodies here. Thank you!

Old 07-11-2008, 08:45 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,705,359 times
Thumbs up No complaints beef stew

I made a special beef stew. In it I put beef, onion, red pots, green beans, corn, whole and diced toms, mac shells, and tons of olive oil, garlic, bay leaves, salt and pep, and italian seasonings! YUMMY! Kids even ate it without complaining-YIPPY!!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:09 PM

2,409 posts, read 6,015,813 times
Last night Hubby made Fetticuni Alfredo. Not sure what he's making tonight though.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:22 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,071,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Elston how do you make curried beef?

I like curry. I have a little bottle of curry powder but have no idea what to do with it. What to use it on, how much to use, etc.
My grandmother made a curried fruit dish at the holidays for years. Not sure if it will be to your liking...however here is the recipe.

3/4 butter
1 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons curry powder
2 1/2 cups canned pineapple
1 1/3 cups canned pears
1 1/3 cups canned peaches
1 1/3 cups canned apricots

Drain and dice fruit and place in a 1 1/2 quart casserole . Melt butter and and stir in brown sugar and curry powder. Pour over fruit.

Bake at 325 for 1 hour, serve warm.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:01 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,327,111 times
Talking all that sounds yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Hi everyone..I've been on vacation so I have been eating tons of junk -- hot dogs, potato salad, beer , chips and dip, etc. Miss cooking!

all right..that's great..all the great things to eat...lol

Old 07-12-2008, 07:55 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,903,769 times
Default High on the steer tonight

I'm including a photo of this evenings dinner. Better now because once the aroma hits me there will not be time. On a sad note our beloved tree of the now famous "Swamp Cabbage" is in trouble.

Florida's state tree dying of mysterious disease - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/7/12/364568.html?title=Florida%27s+state+tree+dying+of+ mysterious+disease - broken link)

Old 07-12-2008, 08:01 AM

48,337 posts, read 22,088,281 times
I thought the swamp cabbage was the same as the skunk cabbage that grows in our swampy areas and smells exactly like its namesake. That was why I thought a festival and a Queen was so hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink