Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

You're not going to see "PROOF" until someone sits 1000 people (or whatever N needs to be to make the study valid) down and does a double blind taste test.

That's never going to happen.
But it sounds tasty.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You're not going to see "PROOF" until someone sits 1000 people (or whatever N needs to be to make the study valid) down and does a double blind taste test.

That's never going to happen.
But it sounds tasty.
All I'm saying is that no one was even arguing about this until a (medium rare-preferring) chef brought up the practice and explained it in a scornful matter. That's what makes me skeptical.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:26 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
All I'm saying is that no one was even arguing about this until a (medium rare-preferring) chef brought up the practice and explained it in a scornful matter. That's what makes me skeptical.

Skeptical of what? That it happens? You have at least two chefs in this thread confirming it, and if you want go read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, he talks about the practice as well ...

Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 PM

In fact I quoted that section of Bourdain's book in an older thread here, so I dug it back up. Here is what he had to say in that classic book of his:

"Saving for well done" is a time-honored tradition dating back to cuisine's earliest days: meat and fish cost money. Every piece of cut, fabricated food must, ideally, be sold at three or even four times its cost in order for the chef to make his "food cost percent." So what happens when the chef finds a tough, slightly skanky end-cut of sirloin that's been pushed repeatedly to the back of the pile? He can throw it out, but that's a total loss, representing a three-fold loss of what it cost him per pound. He can feed it to the family, which is the same as throwing it out. Or he can "save for well-done" - serve it to some rube who prefers to eat his meat or fish incinerated into a flavorless, leathery hunk of carbon, and who won't be able to tell if what he's eating is food or flotsam. Ordinarily a proud chef would hate this customer, hold him in contempt for destroying his fine food. But not in this case. The dumb bastard is paying for the privilege of eating his garbage! What's not to like?

Old 05-24-2013, 01:43 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
This is EXACTLY how we feel about these "rubes."

Old 05-24-2013, 02:28 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
This is EXACTLY how we feel about these "rubes."
This is interesting...

It seems I need to be concerned every time I go to a restaurant - if I order the fish special on Sunday will the chef think I'm a "rube" because no one in their right mind would order fish in a restaurant on a Sunday - it's OLD. And since I'm a rube let's just give him the stinkiest piece of fish.

Also, everyone knows only "rubes" order the special cuz the chef is just trying to get rid of something that isn't popular. Don't worry about that "special" - just toss it on the plate, after-all a "rube" ordered it.

And only a "rube" would listen to the server's recommendations cuz the chef has ordered way too much of one thing and not enough of another and hopes the server can trick the customer into ordering what needs to move. "I have two "rube" cube-steak, I mean custom filet specials - well-done."

I've kept my mouth shut on this whole "well-done is for fools" thread, but I'm thinking the "rube" is the chef who thinks he/she is in control.

I say to every chef listening - pray your only problem is having to serve those who order a steak well-done. Heaven forbid the customers catch-on to the real game going on behind the scenes. You have opened Pandora's Box in your open disdain for paying customers.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:44 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
This is interesting...

It seems I need to be concerned every time I go to a restaurant - if I order the fish special on Sunday will the chef think I'm a "rube" because no one in their right mind would order fish in a restaurant on a Sunday - it's OLD. And since I'm a rube let's just give him the stinkiest piece of fish.

Also, everyone knows only "rubes" order the special cuz the chef is just trying to get rid of something that isn't popular. Don't worry about that "special" - just toss it on the plate, after-all a "rube" ordered it.

And only a "rube" would listen to the server's recommendations cuz the chef has ordered way too much of one thing and not enough of another and hopes the server can trick the customer into ordering what needs to move. "I have two "rube" cube-steak, I mean custom filet specials - well-done."

I've kept my mouth shut on this whole "well-done is for fools" thread, but I'm thinking the "rube" is the chef who thinks he/she is in control.

I say to every chef listening - pray your only problem is having to serve those who order a steak well-done. Heaven forbid the customers catch-on to the real game going on behind the scenes. You have opened Pandora's Box in your open disdain for paying customers.
I'm thinking you're right! I mean how in hell do you know what's best when you're actually given different quality cuts according to your choice! Like the "tip well"... or we'll spit in your food threat! May the real "rubes" step forward!

Last edited by SATX56; 05-24-2013 at 02:52 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 05:48 AM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Skeptical of what? That it happens? You have at least two chefs in this thread confirming it, and if you want go read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, he talks about the practice as well ...
No, skeptical of people being able to tell the difference.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
No, skeptical of people being able to tell the difference.
Ah, in that case I agree with you.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
You are mixing up your statements. There are palates that are better able to distinguish flavors and there well may be more flavors in a med rare steak. But, to state that the additional flavor is superior is not a given. More flavor <> superior taste. The amount of flavor and distinguishing ability in a palate may objective but taste is subjective. For me, mint ice cream has much more flavor than vanilla ice cream but, since that flavor is a nasty, nasty thing, it is inferior.
Bravo! Well said. Everyone who feels the medium/rare meat has more flavor don't realize that it is EXACTLY that flavor that is unpleasant to those who like meat well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink