Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:33 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,889 times

Advertisements

Fresh bagged spinach and just about anything organic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 12:40 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,957 times
Avocados and cucumbers for me.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
^^Me too. And in the bagged lettuce, the romaine goes the fastest.
I rarely buy bagged salad, but my daughter does. I think she uses it within a day or so. When I buy regular romaine it seems to last forever, especially when I buy the 5 in one bag at Sam's.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I seem to find myself throwing away onions more often than I would like. Once they start getting soft, I just assume pitch them. Tomatoes are another problem veggie for me. I love vegetables, but I really have to make an effort to prepare them and make them easily accessible for those days when I have less energy to prepare a proper meal.

Thinks I buy because they keep longer include carrots, celery and heads of cabbage, apples, oranges, chayote... Anyone like yucca? That stuff keeps for quite a while and I've been eating quite a bit of it lately.
You know I was going to put onions on the list as well. I think the ones in bags are the worst. I have about stopped getting them at Aldi's. For a lot of things I love Aldi's, but I have had more than my share of soft onions or ones that look and feel fine, but I cut them open and they are turning brown and are getting soft on the inside. I have the opposite with tomatoes, I rarely have them go bad.

Yes, things like apples and oranges seem to last until I just get tired of looking at them. Leeks seem to stay fresh for quite a long time as well and so do most potatoes.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Lettuce.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:57 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
I can't believe people are saying onions. I always have onions on hand and they usually last at least 3 weeks at room temperature. You really have to carefully inspect the onions before you buy them though, the small bags of ~5-8 onions are often already going bad when you buy them. It's worse at some stores than others. As much as I hate Kroger, their bags of onions are almost always in really good shape. Walmart's on the other hand...you better look them over really well.

I'll go with lettuce, especially the bagged kind. If you buy whole heads of lettuce they last a lot longer though. With bagged lettuce you're lucky if it lasts 2 days.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:05 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I rarely buy bagged salad, but my daughter does. I think she uses it within a day or so. When I buy regular romaine it seems to last forever, especially when I buy the 5 in one bag at Sam's.
I agree but alas DH does not like that kind of lettuce. We buy the head lettuce and only one at a time and if it is not used quickly it turns slimy. I take the core out clean it and cut it into quarters and we take one quarter and make an individual salad. We buy cucumbers one at a time too.

I personally like the lettuce you mentioned best.

I have quit buying the pre-packaged bags of greens because I just don't trust they are clean and they are difficult to clean.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:39 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,533 times
Lately it's been arugula...

Old 05-20-2013, 01:14 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
I think mushroom go the fastest, especially the button mushrooms with the cellophane on them. It seems like a day later they are getting slimy and shriveling up.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I find the organic produce goes bad really fast unless I buy it from a specialty store. In fact, often it's already bad in the store. I think it just sits there getting rained-on from those thunderstorm sprinklers until it finally turns to liquid and disappears. I've picked-up some of that organic produce at the supermarket and it's all shriveled-up and covered in mold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink