Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 05:14 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Advertisements

Many have started out working in the food service and know the importance of a tip. Certainly if you're not getting a salary or very little salary. My point... you deserve a salary not a gratuity. Gratuity is a bonus ..a nicety by a grateful customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 09:40 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
I don't think I've ever not left a tip. What I tip depends on the service. I'm a very nice, polite customer so I expect the same from the staff that is helping me. If I get attitude, they get a tip of whatever change is left over after I round up to the nearest dollar. I also write the reason on the receipt.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
You've been in situations where your waitstaff HUG you? Really?
The ones I knew really well and came to their restuarant or bar often, yes. Only the ones I knew really good.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:18 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
I tip because it's the proper thing to do. If the service and the food are really good, then I always up the ante. Good service and good food must be rewarded. And if it's a really good-looking woman who treats me really nicely, on top of good service and food, I give her, at least, the first five dollar bill I can find.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:55 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times
The majority of wait staff earn minimum wage and is one of the most thank-less jobs around sometimes.

Tips must be reported so the government can take their "%." They take it out of the checks and the tips.

I use to wait tables and there were times when I owed instead of getting a check.
I tip 20% or better depending and leave cash.

It was the dealers in Vegas that got the government to come after wait people after they got hit to pay tax on tips received while dealing (this happened > 20 years ago). Many people don't realize how taxed wait staff are these days.

The people who say they don't leave a tip because the wait staff are being paid already, should wait on tables for a month and then talk to me.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:01 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Yes, people who have never waited tables do not understand how it works. You are taxed A LOT!! I worked in NC and would work 50 hours per week for two weeks. That paycheck would maybe amount to $30-$40 if I was lucky with all the taxes being taken out. Its ridiculous!!

Again, if you cannot afford to eat out and tip your server (for good service, of course) then do not go out and eat. Please keep the table open for people who can.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Yes, people who have never waited tables do not understand how it works. You are taxed A LOT!! I worked in NC and would work 50 hours per week for two weeks. That paycheck would maybe amount to $30-$40 if I was lucky with all the taxes being taken out. Its ridiculous!!

Again, if you cannot afford to eat out and tip your server (for good service, of course) then do not go out and eat. Please keep the table open for people who can.
Absurd! Of course, those who have worked with little or no wages and depended on gratuities have your perspective. Truth is though ..there is no reason a restaurant (any restaurant) can't pay their employees full wages. This, leaving customers to be as charitable or grateful as they wish. You gonna tell people who can barely afford to eat out to never eat out? Just because they don't have enough to tip/(pay Rest owners employees salaries).
Tips are gratuities not salaries. Restaurants have learned they can pay their employees little or no pay. If customers are charitable enough. It's double dipping. Try telling the boss you don't want people allowed in who won't tip.

Food industry workers deserve to be paid full salaries!!! Tips are a bonus!!

Old 03-09-2010, 02:42 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Absurd! Of course, those who have worked with little or no wages and depended on gratuities have your perspective. Truth is though ..there is no reason a restaurant (any restaurant) can't pay their employees full wages. This, leaving customers to be as charitable or grateful as they wish. You gonna tell people who can barely afford to eat out to never eat out? Just because they don't have enough to tip/(pay Rest owners employees salaries).
Tips are gratuities not salaries. Restaurants have learned they can pay their employees little or no pay. If customers are charitable enough. It's double dipping. Try telling the boss you don't want people allowed in who won't tip.
People who don't tip are generally troublemakers and always looking for something for free/complaining about the food/etc. Most managers could care less if those people come back, trust me.

Most people who don't tip don't do so because they are poor, it's because they are cheap.

And I agree with Himain 1000000%, you don't because you've never been on the other side.

If you can't afford to tip for good service. Stay home.

It's like the guys who go to a strip club, order water, and just want to ogle the girls and not tip them. No one wants them there. LOL

Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
People who don't tip are generally troublemakers and always looking for something for free/complaining about the food/etc. Most managers could care less if those people come back, trust me.

Most people who don't tip don't do so because they are poor, it's because they are cheap.

And I agree with Himain 1000000%, you don't because you've never been on the other side.

If you can't afford to tip for good service. Stay home.

It's like the guys who go to a strip club, order water, and just want to ogle the girls and not tip them. No one wants them there. LOL
Did you read my post?? I see your point of view from your perspective. You want your money. You apparently don't want your boss to pay you... but those already paying your bosses price for his service and food. Your salary is supposed to be paid from what the restaurant makes. What makes a restaurant different?? We have plenty of restaurants that pay their employees full salaries. I don't need to have been on the other side. If you are working and your boss isn't paying you, then you expect someone else to. Gratuities are bonuses not meant or intended to be your salary period. Simple!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:06 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Or go to fast food where no tipping is expected, unless it's a drive-in.

I do think restaurant workers should be paid a living wage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink