Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 07:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times

Advertisements

It doesn't sound appetizing to me, either. Plus the thought of the calories - waffles, butter, syrup AND fried chicken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 09:55 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Y'all never saw the mini series Mildred Pierce with Kate Winslet? I believe it was a book first.

I've had chicken and waffles in a local restaurant. It's not a bad combination at all, but this place goes very heavy on the syrup.
It was also a 1945 movie starring Joan Crawford.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Interesting article on the origin of chicken and waffles - the Pennsylvania Dutch were apparently making a version with gravy back in the 1600s, but today's sweet-savory combo goes back to the jazz music scene in the 1930s:

History of Chicken and Waffles | The History Kitchen | PBS Food

The Pennsylvania Dutch version sounds good to me, too.
That's an interesting article. First noted by being made by the PA Dutch and then become a hit in 1930s Harlem.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:27 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It doesn't sound appetizing to me, either. Plus the thought of the calories - waffles, butter, syrup AND fried chicken?
So make it your only meal for the day. Problem solved.

For the people saying this is gross, you do realize that you are not required to eat syrup covered meat, right? In most restaurants, the syrup is served on the side and can be added exclusively to your waffles if that's what you prefer.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:31 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You must not be American. Americans would think first of waffles with butter and maple syrup, and probably not of ice cream at all (unless they are "waffle cones," which aren't really what we think of as waffles).

I haven't had fried chicken with waffles, but it sounds good. But then, I like waffles + syrup + bacon, which makes most non-Americans cringe.
LOL. Yes, I am American. Born and lived in New Jersey all my life, which next year will be 60 years.

No, not waffle cones. When we were kids, we made ice cream sandwiches with waffles. That's what waffles were FOR, as far as I knew.

I do know that sometimes people eat them with butter and syrup, but pancakes or French Toast are better that way, and far more common. I don't recall seeing "waffles" as a choice on a diner menu, except for the big Belgian waffles with the whipped cream and fruit.

The chicken and waffle combination is odd to me, though. As I said, I only ever heard of it on City-Data. I've never met a person in real life who eats that.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This is similiar to another food combo I don't understand.....fish and grits.
Never heard of that, but I don't get the appeal of grits in any form at all.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
COLD, leftover pizza makes a great breakfast, second only to a big slab of fruit or pecan pie!
Cold leftover pizza and a Pepsi used to be the noon-time hangover breakfast every Saturday.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:47 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL. Yes, I am American. Born and lived in New Jersey all my life, which next year will be 60 years.

No, not waffle cones. When we were kids, we made ice cream sandwiches with waffles. That's what waffles were FOR, as far as I knew.

I do know that sometimes people eat them with butter and syrup, but pancakes or French Toast are better that way, and far more common. I don't recall seeing "waffles" as a choice on a diner menu, except for the big Belgian waffles with the whipped cream and fruit.

The chicken and waffle combination is odd to me, though. As I said, I only ever heard of it on City-Data. I've never met a person in real life who eats that.
It's really not that common in any place (except Baltimore, I've heard). It's usually associated with southern food, but you'd have a hard time finding it in most restaurants down here.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
It's really not that common in any place (except Baltimore, I've heard). It's usually associated with southern food, but you'd have a hard time finding it in most restaurants down here.
Except Waffle House.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:26 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe it's another regional thing, or just your own family/cultural thing. I've never contemplated making an ice-cream sandwich with waffles, or even heard of or seen such a thing. It certainly isn't standard on the West Coast. We make ice-cream sandwiches with cookies.

ETA: I was unreasonably curious about this, so I kept looking around, and found this blurb from the magazine "What's Cooking?":

Quote:
Today is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day, and we’re celebrating with seven of our favorite local stops for the creamy, cool dessert, including variations made with cookies, macarons, doughnuts and even waffles!
(my emphasis)

The magazine is based in Sacramento, so this confirms that waffle ice-cream sandwiches are unexpected on the West Coast.

Quote:
I do know that sometimes people eat them with butter and syrup, but pancakes or French Toast are better that way, and far more common.
I don't know about that. When it comes to "common," the first six pictures that show up with I search "images of waffles" are four with butter and syrup, and two with syrup and fruit (your search engine may vary). It may be more common to eat them with whipped cream in restaurants, but probably not so much at home. My family always just used/uses butter.

As for "better," I LOVE waffles with butter and syrup and far prefer them to pancakes or French toast. That comes down to personal preference, obviously.

Last edited by saibot; 11-29-2017 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink