Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:46 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times

Advertisements

no one has a flour sifter???

i remember sifting flour as a kid, get it all over the kitchen, then getting scorned for wasting it...by our grandmothers..

pressure cooker....ive got one of them, i barely use,,,looks to be a 100 yrs old,,,,just cant part with it..

and somewhere in the deep out of reach -places of one of my bottom cupboards is a 20 yr old fry-daddy contraption...

I should re-gift this thing this year- put someone elses name on the tag (from) - quite comical- just wrap it -put it under the tree...say its to whomever from someone else.. keep a straight face when someone gets a thank you for a hidious gift...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 04:29 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
The bread machine. Can't remember the last time I used it.
A pot that has a space for water under and around it (so a sort of bain marie/double boiler). I probably would use it though but I don't have the plug for the hole the water goes in.
Rice cooker - need more people to feed to make it worthwhile using
Various cake pans
Glass flan pan

Old 12-13-2013, 05:25 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,878 times
The bread machine was a fad item for a while. I never did get one but maybe I will borrow my daugher's and make some. I have a fry-o-later, that I used to make occasional french fries and onion rings in but now that we eat much healthier I never use it. I need to pass that on and give myself some much needed space in the cubboard. Oh yes I have a rice cooker as well and I should get that out and do some vegtables in it. I never did have a pressure cooker but remember well when my grandmother used hers to cook beans. She had a large family and I don't.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:41 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,520 times
We have a small deep fryer, but I can't tell you the last time we used it. It's rare that we fry food anyway, and when we do, I've gotten good at using a deep pot with oil.

I am amazed at those who rarely use their food processors. I do a lot of cooking on the weekend for the freezer and the week ahead, and that thing is constantly in use. I also use it for grating cheese when I need a good amount.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:36 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

i don't believe that we can ever have too many tools.
Sure you can, if you don't have sufficient space to store them.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:42 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
no one has a flour sifter???

i remember sifting flour as a kid, get it all over the kitchen, then getting scorned for wasting it...by our grandmothers..
My mom has a traditional crank one, but I have a Tupperware type one that folds flat.

One thing I have noticed in recent years is the rarity of recipes (at least of the ones I use) that call for sifted flour. Most of the recipes I use simply call for whatever measurement, "spooned and leveled." A quick internet search revealed some info about modern milling techniques being less likely to produce clumpy flour than in the past, so sifting is mostly found in recipes of yore...don't know if that's true or not. I guess finer-texture cakes, like ange lfood, require sifting, but I don't do much caking baking at all, and don't like/have never made angel food, so that could be a factor.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:07 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
I have an old crank type sifter. I use it almost any time I bake. Recipes don't necessarily call for sifted flour as much as flour "sifted together with" additional ingredients (salt, baking soda or powder etc.). I also use it to sift powdered sugar when making buttercream frosting.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:24 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
One of my employees has a Bread Machine; she's brought over some really good bread; I suppose I should get one.

I thought everyone had a sifter. As far as pressure cookers are concerned, I bought one when I lived at an elevation of 8500'. It's the only way to cook beans at that altitude without making them tough from the very long boiling time; it's a great time saver anyplace. I bake a big pot of beans several times each year and freeze them. That reminds me of another occasional necessity, a bean pot.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:08 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,608,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

I thought everyone had a sifter. As far as pressure cookers are concerned, I bought one when I lived at an elevation of 8500'. It's the only way to cook beans at that altitude without making them tough from the very long boiling time; it's a great time saver anyplace. I bake a big pot of beans several times each year and freeze them. That reminds me of another occasional necessity, a bean pot.
That's funny! I was cleaning cupboards yesterday and found my beanpot. For some reaon I thought I'd broken it but I must have replaced it. And I do make beans pretty frequently so now that I've found it I'll use it.

As for the sifter I haven't used it in years. I stir things together, not sift together. And no pressure cooker! My mother used one frequently and I remember always being afraid it would blow up! Never got over that.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:45 AM

19,529 posts, read 9,546,813 times
I'm sure if I was physically in the house right now and took inventory of said items, I'd have more to list but for the time being: egg beater/mixer (the 2 beaters that look like spokes). I rarely have a need to use them except for when making cakes and such. It's been a while since I've had the need/desires to bake a cake.

I could probably do with one less crockpot.

I might have one of those flour sifters around in the lower cupboard. One never knows. It's probably hidden under some of those muffin and flat pans.

Someone just recently mentioned a bread machine. We do have one and have been thinking of making a loaf of bread one of these days but 1st need to get some attachment for the machine. Since we hardly use it, I haven't thought much to see which attachment and where I can get it from - (maybe off the internet) or some kitchen store?

I do have a pancake and a waffle maker but some Sundays, I can summon up the urge to bring either up from the bottom cupboard to make them for DH and me. There aren't many of them [Sundays] but it's not something I'm willing to give up/sell. Maybe when I retire, I'll be more inclined
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink