Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times

Advertisements

I seldom use my old Hobart Kitchenaid mixer, but I'll never get rid of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 01:46 AM

6 posts, read 6,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audren17 View Post
Frankly speaking, we gave up the fryer since the doctor advised us to eat natural and healthy food; however we are still using it when there’s a party at home, by the way do you know any effective tips to degrease it? Helps would be appreciated
You can use vinegar with water to remove sticky residue. You just need to combine it with hot water and moisten a scrubber to apply it to the surfaces. Bar Keepers Friend is also ok, I always prefer requiring to natural tips first and if it appears not to be effective then I use chemical one

Old 01-04-2014, 08:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
I just remembered another one I would not want to be without, but I only use once or so a year: My crepe pan. And making crepes is one of the things I use my blender for. I make them about once or twice a year, then freeze them. They will keep forever I think.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:49 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,760,693 times
I love garlic and use it all the time. I also have a garlic press and use it rarely. Well it was there last night when I needed minced garlic for my steamed artichokes.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 AM

11 posts, read 12,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
If you're talking about the greasy film build-up on the outside I use Bar Keepers Friend.
Bar Keepers Friend is well-known for its cleansing power but since I’ve been diagnosed as allergic, unfortunately I gave up using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice02 View Post
You can use vinegar with water to remove sticky residue. You just need to combine it with hot water and moisten a scrubber to apply it to the surfaces. Bar Keepers Friend is also ok, I always prefer requiring to natural tips first and if it appears not to be effective then I use chemical one
Thanks for advices; I wish it will work perfectly.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:00 AM

6 posts, read 6,703 times
You’re welcome, there is a book entitled “200 extraordinary handy hints and tips for your home” the health publishing company edition, I don’t know if you have the opportunity to read it but there are lots of surprising and simple tips for home entertaining in it , it will help you a lot.

Last edited by Brice02; 01-09-2014 at 03:08 AM..

Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
My food mill, yogurt maker and food processor.

All are clunky and big but so handy when I have to make a large meal so I just store them.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
I'm a complete minimalist in the kitchen. Years ago I read a cookbook by a New York chef about how to prepare gourmet meals with little kitchen equipment. Her book really opened my eyes to how much in a kitchen is superfluous. After reading it, I took everything out of the drawers and cabinets, returning it only as I used it to prepare or serve meals. That got rid of most of the dead weight. Afterward, I took a good hard look at my recipes and weeded out those that required specialty tools and replaced them with simpler, more easily prepared foods. Once that was done, I added in sturdy, long-handled stainless spoon to replace a gross wooden one that was ready to give up the ghost, and I was done. My kitchen may be tiny and spare, but it's clean, organized, and a pleasure to use.

All that being said, if I had to pick one thing, I'd probably say a bamboo salad bowl I received as a gift from a relative. It's enormous and holds way more than my family needs, but there would be questions if it disappeared.

As for the sifter that keeps showing up in this thread, I use a fine strainer and jostle it gently to sift flour, powdered sugar, etc. Also comes in very handy for quickly thawing frozen fruit and veg under running water, and straining home-made yogurt (line with cheese cloth, a linen kitchen towel, or a coffee filter), which doesn't actually require a yogurt maker despite what Cuisinart would have you believe.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-09-2014 at 10:24 AM..

Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 AM

11 posts, read 12,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice02 View Post
You’re welcome, there is a book entitled “200 extraordinary handy hints and tips for your home” the health publishing company edition, I don’t know if you have the opportunity to read it but there are lots of surprising and simple tips for home entertaining in it , it will help you a lot.
Its title is more or less familiar to me but I’ve never had the opportunity to read it, I should have done it before, maybe we are still using the fryer now Hope I’ll find better and interesting tips in it.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
After I posted about my kitchen minimalism, I was inspired to comb through my cabinets once again. Donated an extra casserole dish, a plastic pitcher, and some seasonal kitchen towels that I received as gifts (I prefer plain flour sack towels).

Last edited by randomparent; 01-14-2014 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink