Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I’ ve been cleaning out my kitchen shelves, drawers, pantry and getting rid of things I really don’t use. I’ve found a bunch of things I don’t use often but when I do need them they are essential. Here’s my list of those items.

1) serrated knives in 3 different sizes (came on a block of knives). I’m sure I can get by with only 1 size. I only use them for bread any way.

2) blender and food processor. I use the blender ( 30 years old) for smoothies. Only cause I would never put ice in the food processor. I use that for large grating jobs (carrots, cheese, slaw) and slicing for potatoes, celery, carrots but only when I have more than 1 meals worth. It’s so much easier to hand chop or slice than wash a machine.
3) hand held immersion blender. I use it mostly for soups and mashed potatoes. Not often but when I need it I really need it.

4)How many flippers do I need? I have large ones, small ones, slotted ones, solid ones, metal, plastic, loose, hard. I do throw them away when they start to look chewed up on the ends but I’m better I can get by on 3 or 4 at the most.
5) How many knives do I need? I have 5 paring, 4 really large ones, 5 medium ones plus the serrated ones. Most came on blocks I just thought I had to have. I’m thinning down to 3 paring, 3 large ones and 2 medium ones.

6) Kitchen scissors. I have 4 sets and I need every one. One is always dirty, 1 I can’t find (kids) and I need 1 on each side of my large kitchen. I use them for cutting spaghetti before I serve it to the kids, opening packages of everything cause I’m weak in my hands.

7) mixing bowls- now here it gets dicey. I have recycled plastic, stainless steel, glass, hard plastic and in all sizes. We use them for popcorn, mixing, freezer, leftovers in fridge, crafts, you name it. It’s gonna be hard to eliminate some.

8) drainers. Set of 3 nesting drainers but I only use the largest one. I also have a really nifty one which goes over the sink which is great for large potatoes and veggies but I don’t like to clean it if my boiling water has oil in it like for pasta. I see some TV cooks use drainers for sifting flour but I have my mother’s old sifter with the crank I love using.

9) Pot holders. I have at least 4 for every holiday on earth plus bulky hand ones but I find I use the same ole ratty ones every time. I think I’ll just keep the Christmas and ratty ones and maybe 1 set of worn in full hand ones. BTW decided to keep all my many kitchen towels. I go through them pretty fast saving on paper towels so I think they are necessity.
10) Bulb turkey baster- don’t need it often but it is handy. Same for pastry brush. I have a pastry cloth but find I simply use my granite counter top. Do you have a pastry cloth?
11) Mini choppers. I haven’t used one in ages except for a big mess of nuts. Don’t you find it easier to do it by hand rather than deal with another machine? Think I’ll put one in the garage sale shelf and save one for special times.
12) Casserole dishes. I have ramekins, soufflé, gratins, large, small, corning ware, ceramic and metal and glass.( not to mention all the assorted lids) This is what happens when you’ve been keeping house so long. You get new but can’t bring yourself to toss the old. Would love to thin this collection down but as soon as I eliminate a few I know I will need them right back. Same with pots and pans.

This has mostly been my own exercise in coming to terms with what I need to do but I’m wondering if anybody else has taken stock lately and what you found you could live without or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times
The only thing I think I have that I basically never use is my mini chopper. I move a lot and can't afford to keep a lot of junk I don't use. :/

Old 12-11-2013, 07:13 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
A garlic press. Most times I just hand chop or slice my garlic. Then I lick my fingers.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
A garlic press. Most times I just hand chop or slice my garlic. Then I lick my fingers.
I use my garlic press almost every night but the dish washers hate to have to clean it.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Pastry blender. It's not that often that I make homemade pie crusts or other pastries where I need to cut the butter or shortening in, but when I do, it's less awkward than the two knives approach. I don't keep a food processor, due to the amount of space it takes up, but a pastry blender is small and stores away flat.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,325 times
All of my large bowls. I use them as mixing bowls, "garbage" bowls (Rachael Ray term, but the idea is useful to me), salad bowls, storage bowls, you name it. I have far too many of them, but it does happen occasionally that I have all of them in use at once...for example, on weekends where I cook for the freezer.

I have a mini-chopper too, and I almost never use it, but on the rare occasions that I do need it, I am always grateful to not have to lug out my large food processor.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Just move, into a much smaller place. You will get rid of the stuff you do not use very quickly.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Pastry blender. It's not that often that I make homemade pie crusts or other pastries where I need to cut the butter or shortening in, but when I do, it's less awkward than the two knives approach. I don't keep a food processor, due to the amount of space it takes up, but a pastry blender is small and stores away flat.
I forgot the pastry blender. Can you use a food processor to do that job? Never thought of that.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:57 AM

24,572 posts, read 10,884,023 times
The only thing I can think of that is not in use is one of these warming surfaces with removable dishes.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:11 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
a very large antique 1880's meat cleaver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink