Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times

Advertisements

I found a hair in food at a restaurant just the other day---it was yucky, but I probably would eat there again. A one-off event is likely all it is. I also tried to convince myself it's my own hair that fell off my sweater.

Slightly off topic---but related a bit. I saw in a movie a long time ago a scene where a woman was sitting in the dining car of a fancy passenger train and she ordered soup. Once she received the soup, out of her purse she brought a little pill box that contained one dead coackroach. She sneakily slipped it into the soup--complained about a bug in her soup--and got her meal for free. Do you think people really do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 09:43 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,916 times
@tam I was eating egg drop soup while reading your post. Lol.
I hope not. It does kind of make you wonder when you hear stories about findinfg raxors and severed fingers in your food.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:49 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
I would probably eat there again. It happens unfortunately but in your case you got a long strand that was very noticeable. Now if it happened again, ...

Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I found a hair in food at a restaurant just the other day---it was yucky, but I probably would eat there again. A one-off event is likely all it is. I also tried to convince myself it's my own hair that fell off my sweater.

Slightly off topic---but related a bit. I saw in a movie a long time ago a scene where a woman was sitting in the dining car of a fancy passenger train and she ordered soup. Once she received the soup, out of her purse she brought a little pill box that contained one dead coackroach. She sneakily slipped it into the soup--complained about a bug in her soup--and got her meal for free. Do you think people really do this?
That is pretty minor when it comes to shady things people do these days, but yes people do this.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:05 PM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
As said, I think I would have notified the restaurant and then give them one more chance.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM

693 posts, read 1,138,857 times
We are humans full of hair it is bound to happen and quite frankly you would be surprised at the amount of very small fine hairs and dead skin is dusting your food. I understand the visual image is tough to get past but if they have a high sanitation rating and provide friendly, affordable tasty food, better to eat their hair then some rude sob's serving some slop.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:09 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
A single hair found in food one time can happen at any restaurant, despite precautions If it happened again though or I saw other signs that concerned me, I'd avoid it. A hair once? Nah.
I agree. Has happened to me before. if it's a tooth or a fingernail-No. I have limits. Finding broken glass is bad also.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I am gagging as I read this. I wouldn't go back but that's me. On LI we have several Chinese restaurants that are good. Luckily I have never encountered a hair in my food.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I'm one of those folks who can eat insects and I don't overreact if one is in my food. However, if I see a hair in my food the food goes back and nothing the staff can say or do will make me eat there that day or ever again - not even a free meal.

It stems from when I was younger. I was eating a hamburger and I felt a hair slide by my lips when I swallowed a bite. The hair was long enough that I grabbed it and pulled it out of my throat bringing chunks of hamburger up with it and gagging the entire time. That was traumatic enough that I can't even look at a hair in food, even my own.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:52 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I'm one of those folks who can eat insects and I don't overreact if one is in my food. However, if I see a hair in my food the food goes back and nothing the staff can say or do will make me eat there that day or ever again - not even a free meal.

It stems from when I was younger. I was eating a hamburger and I felt a hair slide by my lips when I swallowed a bite. The hair was long enough that I grabbed it and pulled it out of my throat bringing chunks of hamburger up with it and gagging the entire time. That was traumatic enough that I can't even look at a hair in food, even my own.
Yep, that would definitely make me have an aversion to hair in food.

So what do you do when you find one of your own in your food?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink