Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 01:43 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I myself have never done this. Not that the food item did not warrant replacement or whatever. its just that I am not that picky of an eater and can eat just about anything served to me ( be it over spiced or over done or not cooked enough )

I am not a passive personality in any way shape or form ( actually quite the opposite )

I just prefer not to make a scene and will eat my meal and possibly mention it to the server if they check in that I am unhappy with it. But I have never actually sent it back to either be redone or replaced that I can recall.

Maybe because I typically order pretty standard entrees and do not frequent upper end high $$ places where I feel slighted by my $60 meal not being up to snuff so to speak. usually if I am eating out its a $12-15 menu item sitting infront of me ( hardly worth the effort to complain )

I recently ( past few years ) have really been doing the Yelp thing. And reading the reviews I notice its far more common for patrons to send things back to the kitchen than I thought.

Just curious everyones here experiences and thoughts on this issue

Poll added ( can you tell I like polls !! )
People that act up in restaurants simply want to feel important.

If I get a dish that was not up to my expectations I make a mental note not to order again (or not to visit again).

Most people that give negative reviews in Yelp complain about feeling ignored by the waiter. The food can be the best in the planet, but what really matters is a waiter that is an ass kisser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 02:21 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
We've sent stuff back plenty of times. If it's not prepared the way we asked, or not what we ordered (incorrect sides) we send it back. We're nice about it, but we send it back. If I'm paying for it, I want what I order, not what someone in the kitchen chooses for me to eat. Even at fast food places, if my order is wrong, it's going back.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:30 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
The punishment for sending a dish back is that everyone at the table feels badly that a single diner cannot enjoy his/her meal with the others. Its especially annoying if just my husband and I are dining alone and one sends a meal back. Then, we really do not get to dine pleasurably together.

Because of the above, I rarely surrender a disappointing meal unless its totally unacceptable.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:40 PM

165 posts, read 145,697 times
I have complained numerous times about my food. I will always send a burger back when I've ordered it medium-well, but it's still mooing. I've sent back food that was obviously "off" and shouldn't have been served.

BUT I never want a replacement. I know what some kitchen staff can be like, and I don't want my food messed with.
I just get my meal taken off the check.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:21 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
The punishment for sending a dish back is that everyone at the table feels badly that a single diner cannot enjoy his/her meal with the others. Its especially annoying if just my husband and I are dining alone and one sends a meal back. Then, we really do not get to dine pleasurably together.

Because of the above, I rarely surrender a disappointing meal unless its totally unacceptable.
This is one of the main reasons I also opt to not send things back to the kitchen.

Seems to be easier to 'take one for the team' and just eat the meal or nibble around with any sides that came with it.

I have never been served a meal that had hairs or other foreign objects in it. I would send that meal back for sure and most likely not want any replacement. A quick exit would surely follow.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:35 PM

185 posts, read 134,254 times
Nearly every time I have had to send food back it was because my steak was undercooked. I always ask for medium well and have been delivered steak that was medium rare. The one time it was not due to undercooked steak it was because my food was cold. I did not even want to send it back but my sister said I should. Which in hindsight cold eggs was not pleasant so I was glad that I did.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queldorei View Post
That's not true. There are lots of places that will give it to you as raw as you want.
If the area doesn't have a law preventing the sale of rare meat. Where I live and have my food handlers card through, it is in that county. My father has this issue at the restaurant that he works at.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:08 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You do realize medium rare is the lowest you can get in most places unless you cook it yourself right?
Then they shouldn't take an order for rare, plain and simple. Though the better restaurants have no problem with providing rare prime rib. That's how I order mine, too.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Then they shouldn't take an order for rare, plain and simple. Though the better restaurants have no problem with providing rare prime rib. That's how I order mine, too.
They don't where I live or the customer throws a hissy-fit because the law prevents it for the sake of the business. If food is undercooked, it is the business' issue. If you want undercooked steak, do it at home.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:22 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I haven't sent food back, but my husband has. I just want to make sure I have my food before he sends his back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink