Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 01:00 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times

Advertisements

I wash my hands every time after I cut myself or change bandages !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 01:10 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
Lot of obsessed people on this thread.. How do Y'all handle camping out?
Pardon the double negative, but I don't get in a bag for nobody.

P.S. Washing one's hands thoroughly and avoiding cross-contamination does not mean that people are...obsessed.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:25 PM

12,291 posts, read 2,969,609 times
Sounds like me. I wash my hands every other minute it seems while cooking.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 PM

352 posts, read 324,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
I think this is the right section, but please feel free to move this if there is a more appropriate section (hopefully not mental health- LOL!)

I am wondering how often others wash their hands during meal prep. I feel like I wash my hands too often but I can't stand the idea of touching something like meat, and then moving to vegetables, even if they're being cooked together. Sometimes its because I need to add seasoning and don't want to contaminate the outside of the container with germs.

Example: Last night I made meatloaf. Washed my hands to begin. Took out the meat, seasonings, bread crumbs, milk.

Emptied the meat into a bowl, washed my hands. Cut open the "cook in a bag" recipe I love, and added seasonings, milk, bread crumbs. Forgot the egg. Washed my hands, got the egg. Mixed it all in by hand. Washed my hands. Chopped onion (for loaf), and potatoes to go with it. Washed my hands. Got out my baking sheet and formed my loaf. Needed to add flour to the bag so it wouldn't stick. Washed my hands. Added flour. Put the loaf in the bag to cook. Washed my hands. Started on the vegetables.

This may be completely correct in how most people cook, but I have no idea. It's the only thing I ever stop to wonder "Is this something like OCD?" I'm a very tidy person but I don't think I typically fall into the OCD category.

Maybe it's poor prep planning, maybe I dislike germs more than some. Maybe I am missing the easier way??

What about you?
I wash my hands any time I touch anything. Like anything at all. My hands are all dry most of the time because I wash them a dozen times or more every day. I sanitize when I can't wash. If I even step into a bathroom, even if I don't touch anything, I wash my hands. If I touch the counter in my kitchen, I wash my hands. If I open a cabinet while I'm cooking, I wash my hands.

So you may feel like you're being excessive, but at least you know there's one person worse than you! :-)

Old 08-22-2014, 02:29 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Why ??
It's a caustic chemical that has no business around food. It also screws up your neighborhood wastewater treatment plant's efforts to clean the water with as few chemicals as possible.

If you must sanitize anything (and usually there's no need; soap and water do an adequate job), use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water, or lemon juice.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:28 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The way I cut down my paper towel use was to take the paper towels completely out of the kitchen until I started reaching for the dish towel first.
It took me a couple weeks but now when I am in the kitchen cooking, cleaning, doing dishes etc and I need to dry my hands I rarely reach for the paper towels.
I just keep a kitchen towel over my shoulder when I'm prepping and cooking. Always there and in easy reach. Buying a bunch of bar towels like these is a great way to break the paper towel habit as you have plenty on hand to grab a fresh, clean one when needed: Amazon.com - Commercial Grade Bar Mop Towels (25-Pack) - Dish Towels

Old 08-22-2014, 04:45 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
I think this is the right section, but please feel free to move this if there is a more appropriate section (hopefully not mental health- LOL!)

I am wondering how often others wash their hands during meal prep. I feel like I wash my hands too often but I can't stand the idea of touching something like meat, and then moving to vegetables, even if they're being cooked together. Sometimes its because I need to add seasoning and don't want to contaminate the outside of the container with germs.

Example: Last night I made meatloaf. Washed my hands to begin. Took out the meat, seasonings, bread crumbs, milk.

Emptied the meat into a bowl, washed my hands. Cut open the "cook in a bag" recipe I love, and added seasonings, milk, bread crumbs. Forgot the egg. Washed my hands, got the egg. Mixed it all in by hand. Washed my hands. Chopped onion (for loaf), and potatoes to go with it. Washed my hands. Got out my baking sheet and formed my loaf. Needed to add flour to the bag so it wouldn't stick. Washed my hands. Added flour. Put the loaf in the bag to cook. Washed my hands. Started on the vegetables.

This may be completely correct in how most people cook, but I have no idea. It's the only thing I ever stop to wonder "Is this something like OCD?" I'm a very tidy person but I don't think I typically fall into the OCD category.

Maybe it's poor prep planning, maybe I dislike germs more than some. Maybe I am missing the easier way??

What about you?
No I definitely don't wash my hands THAT much! I was when I am starting to handle the food, and after handling meat. If I am mixing something up with my hands, then yes I wash them afterward of course.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:15 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times
I wash my hands all the time when cooking - meatloaf is one of those things that I happen to wash my hands all the time when I make it. Most things not quite as much, but I'm very aware of cross contamination.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:04 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
The sky isn't falling. Bleach is a perfectly acceptable and safe disinfectant to use in the kitchen.

Yeesh.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:48 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,633 times
I try to pretty regularly especially if I am handling raw meat. You have to be so careful with keeping your hands cleaning in food prep, otherwise people get sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink